The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is the Bible inerrant, infallible or God's word?

Is the Bible inerrant, infallible or God's word?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 36
  8. 37
  9. 38
  10. All
Infallibility, inerrancy and God's word are often used to describe the Bible.

Christians, generally believe at least one of these things, many believing all 3.

So if Jesus' own words contain errors, then aren't all 3 wrong?

Jesus, (Matthew 5:17-20), empowers the law of Moses plus ategorically states in verse 18 "As long as heaven and earth last, not the least point nor the smallest detail of the law will be done away with...."

This statement is unequivocal! It includes the commandments and all other of Moses' laws!

Some of Moses', UGLY laws are :

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 21:17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Deuteronomy22:20-21 2 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found,

Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Could Jesus mean these laws? In Matthew 5:18, he is unequivocal!

How could the son of the most intelligent being Jesus allegedly agree to these laws? Doesn't it insult your God believing this?
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 2 March 2009 8:54:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Opinionated2

Who are you to suddenly decide what laws are good and what are bad? This kind of thinking leads to thousands of unborn babies being murdered in our country each year. I would of thought you would be smart enough to realize that the law of Moses is a tutor to lead people to the only Law keeper and I don't mean you. Try a little humility and bow your knee to your Maker and you might just understand a little about spiritual matters instead of standing in judgement of the Judge.
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 March 2009 3:16:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner,

Please don't think I am standing in "judgement of the judge" ... I am asking legitimate questions using references from the Bible to further my knowledge.

I'm wondering why you, and other Christians, sit idly by, whilst people actually sell your God and Jesus as none too bright?

It seems to me... if God's word is being misrepresented and wrongly taught by man, preachers and the churches, then, I am acting like John the Baptist. I may be the voice in the wilderness making straight the way for the Lord. I think, you have an obligation NOT to let your God be belittled by wrong teachings!

If God is the most intelligent being to ever live, who knows all things, who can tell what we have done, are doing, and will do in the future, then why do Christians belittle his name by believing this stuff? Are you letting your God down Runner?

Did God give us a thinking mind?

Why would he wire such a magnificent brain and then say just don't use it?

Why would he make laws that are so obviously flawed that they couldn't have come from him? And why as a faithful servant haven't you noticed this?

Why didn't you answer the questions Runner? ... isn't not answering actually letting your God down?

There is more spirituality found outside the bible than contained in many of it's ill informed passages, Runner... Seek and you may find. The fact that the Bible is OLD just isn't good enough, if it is God's word, then, we had better get it right. If it isn't we had better stop teaching it!

Misrepresenting God's word is a pretty big sin Runner, or so one would think!

But please don't accuse me of "judging the judge" when you won't even answer questions.

I ask again "How could the son of the most intelligent being, Jesus, allegedly agree to these laws? Doesn't it insult your God believing this?

The answer is simple...
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 2 March 2009 5:11:27 PM
Dear Opinionated2,

Is the Bible inerrant, infallible or God's word?

Readers have long differed over how to explain the
meaning of parts of the Bible.

Some people believe that every event mentioned in the
Bible actually happened exactly as the Bible says
it did. Other people feel that many events in the
Bible must be read as symbols of religious belief.

Many Biblical scholars today consider the Bible
to be chiefly an expression of faith.

It all comes down in my view to a question of faith
and belief. You believe or you don't.
It's our choice to make.

As you said - simple really!

Cheers.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 2 March 2009 6:57:32 PM
Opinionated2

' I am asking legitimate questions using references from the Bible to further my knowledge.

I suggest you look for a way to clean your heart rather than puff your head up with more 'knowledge'.

I'm wondering why you, and other Christians, sit idly by, whilst people actually sell your God and Jesus as none too bright?

People like yourself have misrepresented Christ now for 2000 years. He needs no defending.

If God is the most intelligent being to ever live, who knows all things, who can tell what we have done, are doing, and will do in the future, then why do Christians belittle his name by believing this stuff? Are you letting your God down Runner?

I can assure you that your future without Christ is pitiful. Hopefully you will come off the drugs or get a little sanity before its to late.

Did God give us a thinking mind?

Yes He did and it appears the devil has given you a perverted mind.

Why would he wire such a magnificent brain and then say just don't use it?

The beginning of wisdom if the fear of God.

Why would he make laws that are so obviously flawed that they couldn't have come from him? And why as a faithful servant haven't you noticed this?

The rules are only flawed when read with a corrupt mind.

Why didn't you answer the questions Runner? ... isn't not answering actually letting your God down? Which one of your many?

There is more spirituality found outside the bible than contained in many of it's ill informed passages, Runner... Seek and you may find. The fact that the Bible is OLD just isn't good enough, if it is God's word, then, we had better get it right. If it isn't we had better stop teaching it! And so you believe Jesus to be a liar obviously.

I ask again "How could the son of the most intelligent being, Jesus, allegedly agree to these laws? Doesn't it insult your God believing this? No it confirms His part in making the laws.
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 March 2009 7:43:42 PM
Foxy and Runner TY for your replies. Are you John 3:16 Christians?

Sadly, John 3:16ers are generally in the first year of Christian pre-school, not yet progressing to Christian 101 yet.

I have a clean heart Runner. I am calling the churches to account after centuries of misleading their flocks. For breaking the very word they claim to hold dear.

John 3:16ers sit in their churches with a blind eye to all the wrongs. They are good loving people, "They just Believe".

What will the most intelligent being ever say when John3:16ers' books are opened. Will he say OMG another John 3:16er?

He might ask them .... How can people who were already dead before Christ's ministry enter the Kingdom of Heaven then? Hmmm tough question!

Runner you have just sinned. I am not on drugs or insane - Exodus 20:16: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."

Runner : "And so you believe Jesus to be a liar obviously."

No, I don't believe that Jesus would agree to some of the stupid laws that Moses created.

I don't believe Jesus said many of the things we are told he did!

I never called Jesus a liar! I'm sure I was talking about the Bible and it's questionable truths.

By rudely saying the 'devil perverted my mind" Runner you crossed the "bearing false testimony" line again. OOps!

I forgive you and turn the other cheek! Matthew 5:39

And just to top it all off Runner you actually state "No it confirms his part in making the laws" - the ugly laws of Moses.

Are you saying here that Jesus believes "a rapist should be allowed to pay the father of a rape victim 50 pieces of silver and gets the poor woman for life?" (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

How could your saviour Jesus agree to such a law Runner?

With that gem I think you just made my point!

Christians - Please invite all friends to join this thread. Bible study for John 3:16ers. It is an open invitation! Who knows an atheist might be reading this and convert!
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 2 March 2009 11:21:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 36
  8. 37
  9. 38
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy