The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Hewson and Costello

Hewson and Costello

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
>>In the meantime the Opposition, rather unsettled
after its bad week, was trying to re-group, although
the new shadow treasurer Joe Hockey in his
ABC 'Insiders,' interview didn't do too well when he
fluffed his words referring," to the size of the
42 thousand, er million dollar, billion dollar,
the 42 billion dollar er, stimulus packange.<<

Methinks, Hockey was trying to do a Costello and fluffed his lines (Joe obviously doesn't do as many rehearsals in front of the mirror as PC). Costello, when in Government, was fond of saying "thousands of millions" of dollars when referring to billions. No doubt he was told to do so by his advisers, so as to add a "wow" factor when addressing the plebs. Just in case they didn't know what billions meant...
Posted by RobP, Wednesday, 25 February 2009 1:26:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, seems only PALE appreciates my sensitive, feminine side. Was just having a joke.

Belly I agree, Lab is a sure thing next time around, and deserve to be as long as the opposition are a rabble.

The only reason Rudd will go early is political opportunism in the way Bligh has acted. No other reasons really exist. I would expect him to be condemned for cynicism and opportunism if and when he does go.

If not Turnbull who? There are no obvious candidates for me. Maybe the wisdom that oppositions do not win elections but govts. loose them is true? And maybe the strength of criticism aimed at Costello is the measure of how much Labor fear him?
Posted by palimpsest, Wednesday, 25 February 2009 4:57:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We all of us should never forget elections are both won and lost, always
My ALP won a couple,,for John Howard.
Simon Crean, he could not win a raffle if he bought the whole ticket issue.
Remember that silly lady trying for her first seat disagreeing with her leader?
Latham, good grief! I followed his every word once.
Watched his web page daily, he was and is a fraud.
Handed the role by Crean, powered by spite he has done the unforgivable. ratted on his party, his lifetime party.
So why Turnbull?
To win you need to do much more than get your welded on voters to the polls.
Can any one? tell me the bloke could win Labor voters to his side?
He has to do so to win, he never can, he may still not stand in this election.
He will never lead.
Johny short bottom Howard, a politician, no I do not like him, but he was good at knowing how to win.
He got workers, unionists, to vote for him three times.
He used our fears, yes many have them, against us, the thought boat people could break down the door.
Unpleasant? yes but it worked it would again.
Hockey has value as an iron bar Tucky type head kicker, Bishop too, others follow but Turnbull?
He in time can turn ALP voters to Liberals.
After in my view three terms is served by Rudd.
As creeping over confidence gets a hold, Rudd may not provide enough air/ limelight to the one to follow him say, Bill Shorten.
Right now the wounds inflicted by Howard on those he won over then betrayed are raw.
It will take more than opposition for oppositions sake to win.
A return to Liberalism concerns me, see I never want to see them win, workchoices scared me for life, I can not forgive it.
But I know unless we have learned much from NSW in time, 3 terms, my party may fall like over ripened fruit
Turnbull is the man to win then.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 25 February 2009 5:31:45 PM
Dear palimpsest,

Thanks for responding.

I'm glad that we got that cleared up.

I also feel that Turnbull won't be giving up
that easily and there will be many more
casualties along the way before the next
election
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 25 February 2009 6:04:09 PM
Dear Belley , Like me you should give up drinking , it's bad for you .
People don't turn into Liberals or Labourites .
Swinging voters are "nothings" they simply sniff the wind and back the winner .
Somehow it's a bit like booze , economics you see .
Beer : no good economically wanting , but good for the economy providing B-Double loaded .
Cask of Moselle , two Headaches , not user friendly , ok when full .
Flagon of Muscat , Brown Rat !! three headaches , user friendly , comfortable to cuddle .

Beer for Rudd.
Moselle for Turnbull.
Brown Rat for Cossie !!
Posted by ShazBaz001, Thursday, 26 February 2009 4:09:29 AM
Shazbaz001, if only that was true, that people do not switch party's.
Lets get to the drinking first, important stuff, once 16 schooners a day then spirits no need to go past one or two now.
If people not swingers, did not change party's Howard would have been a one termer.
He won over far more once ALP voters than you would want to think, as Rudd, clearly has won many conservatives to his side.
Taking them back is no easy task, I am not blind, I see Turnbull trying to impress not voters but his own party.
I however see rare glimpses of a man who understands his task, in hard times for him he knows he must not stand still.
His double back flip with a twist on emissions control, opposing it then demanding more, may work.
Most know it for what it is, me too or anything you can do I can do better.
But the shallow end of the pool will aways be unaware it is hard to know what he thinks.
When the party backs Turnbull, if they do, we will see a different man.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 26 February 2009 4:31:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy