The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Hewson and Costello

Hewson and Costello

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
My opinion is that Peter Costello is patient enough to wait around till all pretender Liberal leaders are disposed of by the Liberal party, the press and the Australian public. Malcolm's performance as leader has been woeful, and his intellectual inferiority to Kevin Rudd on the floor of the House is palpable. There's only one person in the Liberal Party who can intellectually match Kevin Rudd, and that person is Peter Costello. However, Peter is very unpopular with the public and is virtually the kiss of death for the Liberals in an election.

But I'm sure Peter believes he can lead the party to victory, so he will "eventually" nominate as leader. He will lead the Liberal Party into the next election. The liberals have no other choice but that scenario.

I would love to see a Costello led Liberal Government. He would whip the current Liberal hacks into shape.
Posted by TZ52HX, Sunday, 22 February 2009 1:16:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems like the Libs are on the path to self mutilation.It was just a short while ago when we had mad Mark Latham and Lazarus Kim Bomber Beasley.Labor was in awful shape.

Kevin is doing OK while handing out future debt via stimulus packages.When the crunch really hits next year,he will be serious trouble.This is why some think that he will call an early election in November this yr.

A week is a long time in politics and the worm can turn very quickly.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 22 February 2009 2:20:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's the article in all its glory: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/you-missed-your-chance-peter-20090221-8e70.html

I don't think Hewson missed anything.
Posted by RobP, Sunday, 22 February 2009 3:06:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
palimpsest thanks. you remind me you do not have to have feathers to be a Goose.
TROLL?
you display nothing to convince me your opinion is worth hearing.
Did you read the story? is reporting news ok? or not if it disagrees with your views?
Hewson, in my view, has told it like it is Costello never had the heart to challenge.
Never had the support, could never win a raffle if he bought every ticket.
Why you insult Hewson is beyond me, he clearly acted in what he sees as the best interests of the party.
Live palimpsest with the understanding only Turnbull can return conservatives to power, not until at least another term is served by Rudd.
Insults do not concern me but yours is biased, you seem not to want to hear news that you do not like read the story then comment but troll?
Who believes Peter Costello can lead his party to a win?
Turnbull however if let lead a more moderate party, not lost right party can rebuild, Costello?that sneer long ago sunk his chances.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 22 February 2009 3:48:19 PM
Costello, is no fool, he knows Rudd is a dud.

He also knows the average Oz voter doesn't like to admit, even to himself, that he has made a stupid mistake, & been taken in by a dud. For this reason, in the normal course of events, only the very worst dud, gets kicked out after only one term.

He knows the first opposition leader should loose the next election, & loose the leadership, thereafter. He does not want to be that leader. Why would he, it's a fools errand.

He has two problems. He is not a good enough conman to concoct a good story for his present course of action.

The financial situation may allow Rudd to stuff up, just enough, to get kicked out at his first election. This is not a pleasant prospect, to replace a dud with a stuffed shirt would not be a great idea, but it is quite possible. Labor must see this prospect, hence the talk, all ready, of an early election.

Howard's dominance has left us with a real dearth of talent in parliment, just a quick glance at the respective deputies should convince anyone of this. I'm glad I'm not starting out with such a bunch of twits in Canberra.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 22 February 2009 8:29:29 PM
Conservative replys in this thread are mirror images of the party at large.
That basic refusal to even contemplate the Liberal party is inflicting more harm on its self than the Labor party is.
The blindness, the plain dishonesty that will not understand, in the worst finacial crisis EVER in this country, polls show Rudd is selected by big marjins.
One termer? hasbeen your task, your partys task, is to TRY to win an election in 4 years, even 7, the emergence of the extremist right from their bunkers has harmed you.
Turnbull has to please them, he can not concentrate on pleaseing voters.
Costello, he never had public suport, swinging voter suport, never ever will.
His task?whatever he is up to has no impact, he is undermineing his own party.
Long ago. hours after the election I said Pyne would be a good deputy, seems his talent is flawed, he is not from the right, that kills his chances.
Right wing conservatives are not interested in winning government, ripping the guts of of the party for personal gain? yes.
Hewson has highlighted every truth about Costello, Howard, gee his name still brings high blood preasure, has done so time and again.
Costello, will never lead he in fact may not stand in the next election, if true debate is to take place he may bring on a by election before Christmas.
palimpsest/hasbeen here now I say clearly Labor has won the next federal election, your task is a hard one without changes in your party, to make ground on them in the one after.
three cheers for Hewson.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 February 2009 4:38:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy