The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New age: mumbo-jumbo or true for you?

New age: mumbo-jumbo or true for you?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
I lied- one more post today.

Yabby,
Interesting. I suppose –at least for me personally- that one can still explore things, find something that makes one feel better, but at the same time accept that it still is mumbo-jumbo.
Do you think that people convince themselves that something is true when they know it’s not?

Anansi,
I’m very grateful for very down-to-earth parents, too. I had no religious friends either, in fact I don’t think I met anyone religious until I was about 11 and I remember feeling quite sorry for the person that he still believed, as a mature adult, in imaginary stories about paradise and heaven.
I really thought it was some kind of mental illness.
No offense to anyone (or perhaps a little bit), but this is what I seriously thought at 11.
Of course, now I know better, having read a few posts by Runner and Gibo.
My mother always reminded us, “Doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg” (“Just act normal, which is crazy enough already” - doesn’t sound quite the same when translated).

Hi Runner,
That’s pretty impressive, that you have never fallen for any other beliefs than Christianity. Have you ever had the temptation to explore other beliefs?
Have you belonged to the same denomination all of your life or have you changed directions at one stage?
I wonder if it’s hard to change.
My ex neighbours wanted to get out of their parents’ brand of religion (not sure what that was) and adopted the 7th Day Adventist beliefs.
They had really nasty family arguments, the family almost splitting in half over their change. I sometimes wonder whether religious people stick to a church so as not to upset their family.
I personally don’t see a change of denomination as a big deal- does it really matter, as long as you believe in Jesus and are a good person?

But anyway, how do you know that your brand of Christianity is not mumbo-jumbo? How can you be sure that your choice is the right one?
Posted by Celivia, Friday, 14 November 2008 10:28:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*Do you think that people convince themselves that something is true when they know it’s not?*

Cevilia, now THAT is an interesting question :)

I think that most people have conflicts between what they think
and what they feel, different parts of the brain are involved and
they kind of compete with one another.

Alot of people simply follow their feelings, others have learnt
to think about what they feel and why.

Now take horoscopes, heaps of people read them. If you ask them
if they believe what they read, most will say no. But if what is
written today is really positive, they will still feel happy.

Why do people read horoscopes? Clearly they are anxious and
curious about the future.

IMHO, those who let feelings dominate, can be absolutaly
persuaded that those things are all true. Those that have
learnt to think about what they feel, will question those
feelings and beliefs to some extent.

I had a friend who absolutaly believed about the meaning of
dreams. One day something that she dreamed, actually happened.
She of course ignored the laws of chance and the fact that she
had dreamt for years and those things did not happen. Our human
minds can be incredibly slective in what we remember.

Anyhow, one day she dreamed that she would win the lotto, and
was convinced it would happen. Sadly it did not, so she became
a bit more skeptical about dreams.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 14 November 2008 11:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm noticing a bit of a common theme in some posts.. and it's this...

"the expensive"...book..crystal..something... yep.. for me anything which has a big price tag attached while claiming some miraculous outcome.. (including some so called Christian 'faith' healers) wooo..I immediately go into 'shut down' mode towards them.

I just do a simple comparison..

a) "Pagan/wierd/off beat offer" Yes.. of course I can help you..the fee will be $$$$$$

b) "but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

If it "costs" (financially)... count me out. Though I'm happy to contribute financially to the ongoing fellowship and advancement of the Gospel and humanitarian aspects of the Body of Christ (which do NOT inclclude World Vision for reasons I've previously stated)

COPPER.. Celivia..what I heard was not that it is any kind of cure-all, but in some cases.. for some types of infections (rather than diverse ailments generally) it is said to help.

I'm suprised that so many have indulged in many of these things..
I just want to encourage you all not to be disillusioned about Christ based on negative past experiences with such things..but also.. never to see Christ or Christianity as "the one which 'works'" in the way these other things were hoped to work.

There are many immature Christians who do simply transfer what I'd call pseudo paganism/animism/omen based belief systems straight into their newfound faith.... usually they don't last.. the first disillusioning *crunch* which somes along sees them saying "It didn't work"

But Pericles.. crystal balls? I'm shocked :) Now I understand why many of your posts are.... hmmmm....

P.S.. don't worry.. I did get it.
Posted by Polycarp, Saturday, 15 November 2008 7:20:44 AM
Great topic Celivia.

And some terrific responses.

My new-age dalliance was with the Tarot Cards. I am very good at assessing people (years of experience with assessing claimants in the public service - shades of Mentalist, Examinator) and I did think that I could make some money out of offering my Tarot reading expertise, however I am afflicted with a sense of honesty that would make for too much conflict with my conscience and desire to reap a few dollars.

I also have explored Feng Shui and agree that a practical arrangement of furniture and decor is simple good sense.

I still have my amethyst crystals - they are beautiful.

Maintaining a positive "what can I learn here" approach helps with dealing with life's mishaps and along with meditation both assist me with managing my chronic depression. Science has recorded the positive effects of meditation on the human brain.

I do believe in the benefits of acupuncture - some years ago my back was damaged in a car accident and the only treatment that gave any relief was acupuncture, until the torn muscles healed enough to permit manipulation by a physio (who also performed the acupuncture). While I am sceptical about all the claims for the procedure, there is definite help to be gained by its ability to relax muscles. Which makes some sense as the needles are placed into nerve endings.

Perhaps, because there is an element of truth within all the various claims of many New Age practices, they are worth exploring. Just as long as a level of detachment remains, I don't see much harm at all. It is when a person believes in something that has no evidence at all and does not question or scrutinise the superstition, that people's health - mental and physical may be compromised.
Posted by Fractelle, Saturday, 15 November 2008 10:57:55 AM
Shortly after I came here I was talking to students about the sameness between East and West, rather than the difference. As an example I told them that many people in the West subscribe to Feng Shui. I thought they would would look grave and nod their heads in appreciation...or something.Instead they fell about laughing and whooping.

The translation of their comments in Chinese was not "Oh wise Western people, you follow the ways of the Ancestors" or the mystic and appreciative comments I had envisaged but "You gotta be kidding! That old crap!"

Being Romany I have always been surrounded by a certain kind of mysticism in a very matter of fact way (Oh, is that Great Grandpa over there by the stairs? Tell him Hey for me)but mostly I know a lot about herbs and things and use them a lot.

This led, in South Africa, to my African name being The White Sangoma (Witch)!
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 15 November 2008 12:12:13 PM
it is too easy to lump together things we dont understand
i cant be bothered explaining it all to you[because its a personal thing]

some people drive trucks[others arnt even safe walking]

take your ridicule on copper
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2008/11/081112_world_without_copper.shtml

look up the potential of magnetic drive[a simple series of magnets that provide free energy[you left that off your list]because you accepted the spin

i too have blown people away with tar-rot
people reading my cards get blown away as well

feng shui is about optimising space to fit in with the natural flows and energies[including area's such as health and life/balance,think of it a a frame of belief

we all have the inner god[sustaining us to live
calling it a god-dess dosnt change that fact

aura's are well known admitedly many pretenders are out there,same with all these area's[you think industry making cash out of pet-rol, gas or electricity want us having free energy]

so they break up their feared threat,by spreading faulse info[or posting generalised articles[to lumP all their feaRS INTO ONE CONSPIRICY LABLE]

ASTROLOGY IS A GOOD JOKE
,but then that depends on how serious you take it
like when regan ran the us according to his own astrol-logic-al chart

it was easy to sinc up with his buttons[to know what to push when

[a few battles in ww2 were won by knowing[changing histlers chart]

panthesm helps us form the concept or order,the man and his duty,as well as being amusing and insightfull

meditation is relaxing[it helps[as does prayer ;live with it

irradology[like urine and fecal anaLISIS ARE ALL VALID SCIENCE

phychic healing[again so many pretenders
[yet it works on ocasion[jesus said that ye see me do
YOU WILL DO BETTER

but we dont have the knowing[faith]
its a fact that spirits communicate with this realm
but guess what lie-rs will still lie duh!]

spirits arnt bonded to tell idiots the truth
nor put anything before god
they as we have freewill
#
i chin etc depends on trying to accept an outside OPINION[at best],
not tell you how to run your OWN life
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 15 November 2008 12:56:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All