The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New age: mumbo-jumbo or true for you?

New age: mumbo-jumbo or true for you?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Examinator,
Well explained to Runner that abiogenesis is not part of the evolution theory; that the evolution theory is about what happened AFTER life arose.
It is unfortunate that the concept of evolution is often confused with the concept of abiogenesis.

About your astrology explanation regarding Pluto… I’m staring at the words with a blank look on my face and glazed-over eyes.
Sheesh you learned all that mumbo-jumbo just to impress the girls? I’m impressed, too! You became quite knowledgeable in that area. You must have REALLY liked the girls :+)

OK I understand you tried to explain why Pluto, at least in the mind of astrologers, still is used in the creation of astrology charts.

But I still don’t get why.

The only reason that astrologers included Pluto in their calculations is because they wrongly thought it was a planet.
Since astronomers discovered thousands of other objects in the Kuiper belt, with the same composition as Pluto and some bigger in size, it is illogical for astrologers to ignore that new information and include Pluto in charts as if nothing new had been discovered.

Had they known from the beginning that Pluto was one of many similar objects and not a planet, they would have ignored Pluto.

They should either dump Pluto, or incorporate these thousands of other objects as well.

Runner,
“Without entering debate 3004 on this topic…”
Good idea, we should leave that debate till later, elsewhere.
But I just wanted to make sure that you understand that one doesn’t have to believe in any of the hypotheses of abiogenesis to be able to accept the evolution theory and that they shouldn't be linked as if they fall under the same theory- because they don’t.
Posted by Celivia, Monday, 17 November 2008 9:12:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Celivia,
I assumed the challenge et al was a bit of mental gymnastic silliness. Something I enjoy. My mind has been described as busy as Bucket load of Bull ants on speed, prone to go in any direction with a minimum of encouragement. Hence my deliberate descriptive self title “Examinator ant”.
Sorry if I didn’t recognize a serious question.

The history of Astrology is a fascinating one as is its rationale. One must keep it in context of its BCE origins. Perhaps one of its greatest periods was the times of Ptolemy. The topic was largely influenced by their maths, science (especially Astronomy) and Philosophy. It was regarded as a Science. As these men were by any measure brilliant it is not surprising that its maths and components are complex.
BTW they didn’t conceive of different celestial bodies in terms of stars planets, planetoids, comets etc. To them they were all stars= influences.

At the time they believed that there were other “stars” (influences) yet undiscovered hence they acknowledges the “minor” inaccuracies.
Hence it has been able to incorporate new “star” discoveries

Pluto wasn’t discovered until 1933. contemporary Astrologers simply incorporated it into their calculations. Its status as a star is irrelevant. For example the moon was regarded as a star and because of its size and was given star importance secondary only to the sun.

Purists ignore the asteroid belt Kuiper belt and the Oort Cloud as being too smaller influence. I wonder if Ptolemy had known of them and their differences if he would have concurred.

To start a chart a time of birth, date and place must be known. Most Astrologers seek confirmation of the star phenotype from the subject’s looks. Some, like me confirmed details in palmistry. A bit of observational cheating (?).

Astrology was a science (now obsolete) but New Age has turned it into a quasi- religious belief (an all too common human trait) to bolster new age ‘perspectives/rationales’.

BTW The last post was a technique I use to demonstrate facts without a context.
While factually correct it made no real sense
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 18 November 2008 8:31:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Aura Video Station at www.aura.net
It is a wonderful device.I recommend using an Aura Camera, which is specifically designed for displaying aura and printing aura photos via a computer interface
Posted by maxy, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 1:02:57 AM
The Aura Video Station at www.aura.net
It is a wonderful device.I recommend using an Aura Camera, which is specifically designed for displaying aura and printing aura photos via a computer interface.
Offering 4 packages
Posted by maxy, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 1:45:16 AM
“The last post was a technique I use to demonstrate facts without a context. While factually correct it made no real sense”
That’s a relief! For a moment I thought that the ants had taken the liberty to Punk Shui your attic :)

Thanks Examinator for your patience and humor.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments.

We probably agree that we can play around with the fun stuff the New Age craze has to offer as long as we're aware, don't take the mumbo-jumbo too seriously and remain skeptical.

The only thing that concerns me is that this New Age self-help industry offers no real protection from frauds who take advantage of people who are vulnerable or gullible.
Posted by Celivia, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 12:16:55 PM
Dear Celivia,

Thank You for this wonderful thread.

It was fun.

You're absolutely right.

Some people are very gullible - and frauds can take advantage.

There are the gullible who think a fairly large
cash transaction for a weekend on a meatless diet consisting
of group confession, several tearful breakdowns and
a handful of softly spoken phrases learned in
psychological new-speak, will make them brand new again.

It may do, but it probably won't.

Calvin Coolridge once said:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccesful men with talent.
Genius will not;
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not;
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan 'Press On' has solved
and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Or as my father used to tell me,
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge,
but imagination."

Inside you are more possibilities than you could possibly
use up in one lifetime
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 19 November 2008 1:37:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy