The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does a society need atheists or Christians more?

Does a society need atheists or Christians more?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Could a society of atheists only, function?

We know that religious societies have functioned for thousands of years - some good, some bad. But are there any examples of a lasting society based on nothing?
Posted by TRUTHNOW78, Thursday, 13 November 2008 11:44:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
oh dear get ready for a bun fight

the key words alone [like define society]
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rls=MEDA,MEDA:2008-36,MEDA:en-GB&defl=en&q=define:society&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title
A long-standing group of people sharing cultural aspects such as language, dress, norms of behavior and artistic forms;

A group of people who meet from time to time to engage in a common interest;

The sum total of all voluntary interrelations between individuals; The people of one’s ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/society

Brothers, priests and sisters make profession in a chosen religious order/ institute / society, and commit themselves to sharing fully in its life and mission, according to the charism of its founder. ...
news.diocesessm.org/getTemplate

(Gesellschaft) is the continuing rational relationship.
www.ne.jp/asahi/moriyuki/abukuma/outline/outline_basic_concept.html

Group of people who share a common set of values and norms.
enbv.narod.ru/text/Econom/ib/str/261.html

wont even get into the different societies of athiest belief
[nor the xtian sects [societies]
end quote

as to which is needed more
is to infur all the members of any particular society are all equally good [or bad]
or equally gifted or EQUALLY skilled [an impossability]

but its not the political or religious divides that are NEEDED more than the other
[but that 'the society' [or rather all the members of this given society respect all its members equally and fairly ,not judging any other better or worse.

valueing the diverent athiest disbeliefs [or religious messenger's message] arround common core beliefs
that shall be enacted to the equnamity of societies advantages equally benneficient to all.
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 13 November 2008 11:47:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, societies don't believe in Christ have lasted for thousands of years. Not many societies that believe in Christ have lasted more than a few hundred. Only the belief in Jesus has lasted, but even then the ideals that he stood for have been reinterpreted to suit the times that his believers find themselves in. So, realistically atheism will be around a lot longer than any belief in God or Christ.

Eventually a society that bases itself on atheism as a natural progression of societal evolution will happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 14 November 2008 12:33:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is a good question.
But can you take the answer?
I am convinced some who claim to be Christians do not believe a God exists.
How could church leaders miss use children if they thought God was watching?
The fact is we live under many books of religion, not just the bible.
Do not ignore the fact over half the world has a different God.
And do not tell me in their own way those people have been hurt as much as helped by those Gods.
The common thread is fear and the idea that you must not question your God.
Blindly follow him/her or those who lead in that name.
With no doubt at all Believe man is removing the chains that have enslaved so many and we no longer need.
Religion divides it was intended to do so.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 14 November 2008 4:32:31 AM
To answer your question perhaps what we need is people (regardless of personal belief) who believe in freedom, democracy and a willingness to make society better.

Clearly at the present time we need both - society has a long way to go before it becomes uncomfortable with mass delusion. As an atheist I prefer to deal with truth and believe society would be better for doing so. By truth I don't mean absolute truths but even admitting you don't know everything is a truth.

Man was around long before someone invented the Christian (and other) versions of the supernatural.

You only have to read some of the comments on OLO to realise that many who hold various religious beliefs perceive they could not function in the same way without the moral compass or set of rules provided by their God.

An atheistic society is some way off yet and will evolve slowly. This may not be a bad thing - change is better done slowly. History shows us that sudden change often brings about more despots, fundamentalism and ultimately less freedoms.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 14 November 2008 9:17:29 AM
BUGGY says:

"Not many societies that believe in Christ have lasted more than a few hundred. Only the belief in Jesus has lasted,"

Quite a salient point Bugsy.

Jesus supports you 100%

"My kingdom is not of this world, if it were so, my followers would fight to defend me" Matt 18:36

You see.. our Lord's objective was transformed humanity, not to establish a particular political system.

Yes.. undoubtedly He knew that embracing him would bring in a new SOCIAL system...i.e. "Do for others as you would have them do for you" but he also gave it the foundation which takes it out of the realm of 'wishful thinking' to divine mandate by also underlining the MOST important commandment "Love God with all your heart"

The former..follows from the latter.

I think the natural outcome of atheism is that people can and will go in any direction which turns them on...literally and I came across this reminder of that very fact.

(LONDON) - World motorsport chief Max Mosley hit back Wednesday at a top British editor who accused him of moral depravity over a sadomasochistic sex orgy, calling the tabloid newspaper chief a "prude."

But of course...one mans moral depravity is another's fun in that fantasy world of atheism :)

"The 67-year-old, who has been married for 48 years, was at one point whipped so hard that the orgy had to be halted while a bandage was applied to stop his bleeding."

One wonders..when turmoil and anger is going on in his head that he needs to draw blood like that?

Now...that.... IS 'the problem'...no restraint (other than the current version of the law).. no moral right and wrong... just legal/illegal.

ANSWER... in regard to the Question raised about whether we need more Christians or Atheists? I don't think we can ask such a question.

It is not "Christians" we need... it is "Mankind needs Christ"
Posted by Polycarp, Friday, 14 November 2008 9:19:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy