The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Beliefs and Behavior.

Beliefs and Behavior.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Polycarp
Glad to see you have finally seen the "light?" you apparently agree with the atheists.
(Well you did make the association between with childish fantasies and religion)
(Snigger snigger he he he ha Ha Ha Ha! )
some of your own medicine? :-)

“Polycarp report to the head master for detention.”
“Write out 100 times “I must not use self referential or selective facts when trying to justify my reasoning”
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 10:28:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey, runner, your brain has obviously done one. Christ is never mentioned in the Old Testament and I suggest you read issues relating to the Council of Niceae, before casting the proverbial stones. Or indeed, have you gone too far past christianity so as to forget the basic tenets of its faith, poor deluded child.
Posted by sillyfilly, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 12:30:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner,
The divinity of Christ was first established by the Church after the 4th century at the Council of Nicea, where the current four gospels (authors actually unknown but later credited to specific people by a Bishop) were accepted as canonical and the other available gospels discarded or destroyed.

Were those 4 chosen because the others portrayed Jesus as a man or what was so wrong with the others?

Are any miracles or resurrection references mentioned anywhere in the earlier biblical books or were these introduced to the narrative later, along with other references "borrowed" from other older religions?

Where does the word “Trinity” actually appear in the gospels?

Why are there different accounts of the same events between the gospels?

If the concepts of divinity, the Trinity and miracles are central themes of the religion, why did they take hundreds of years to surface for the first time in writing? Were these essential things of no importance to earlier authors?

The notions of divinity and original sin were introduced by Paul, who was the true author of what is called Christianity.

There are thousands of sub-sets of what is generically called Christianity, so which is the "true" one and where does that leave all the others?
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 1:09:11 PM
sillyfilly

If you are unable to read of Christ in the old testament you are as blind as the pharisees of Jesus time and the earth worshipers of today. Next you will be speaking of an impotent religous belief that denies the resurrection. The basic tenets of the faith you refer to are totally useless when you don't even know the Author of such
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 1:10:26 PM
Yes. I'm sure that the modern Bible gives an accurate account of what a religious-political figure said 2000 years ago, in a dead language, and despite the myriad translations, abridgments and exploitations it has been subjected to.

It's indisputable.
Posted by Sancho, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 1:21:13 PM
Hi Examy... snigger-snigger eh :)

For TRTL who is salivating and chafing at the bit waiting for me to turn this thread into some whack-a-mozzie episode... he will be dissappointed.

So many who inhabit these corridors of ideas have such woolly thinking on this issue (and that includes well educated folk like David F) that a thread dedicated JUST to the principle is in order.

If I believe a,b,c then I will act accordingly.

If I say I believe a,b,c but DON'T ACT accordingly, then my confession of belief is highly suspect.

It is equally wrong when a person manifests contrary behavior to a set of beliefs, for OTHERS to say he IS a believer in those doctrines.

Accordingly, we must always look at what people SAY they believe, and see if they are interpreting those foundations correctly in the normal manner in which any historical or legal document is interpreted. OR...if they are simply announcing conclusions or doctrines which have ZERO connected to their claimed beliefs.

A typical example is David F's slanderous and dangerous allegation (repeated a number of times Moderators) "The Holocaust was applied Christianity"

Such irresponsible statements are as dangerous as the Hindu propoganda currently resulting in many thousands of innocent Christians being hunted into the forest, their houses and church burned (200 Churches thus far) all over a lie. That lie is "Christian terrorists/missionaries murdered Laksamana Saraswati, a self appointed Hindu Holy man (who despised the Christians for giving education to the downtrodden Dalits who the Hindu's wish to KEEP on the bottom rung of the social ladder.)

Realizing this, you can understand why the Hindus are so full of hate towards Christians... they are upsetting the exploitative social caste system.
All this over a HUGE LIE. The Man was murdered by a MAOIST.

http://in.ibtimes.com/articles/20081007/orissa-persecutiono-attack-maoist-vhp-leader-laxmananda-saraswati-india-christian-manmohan-singh.htm

So.. Hindu's BELIEVING that Dalits/Untouchables are those who by CASTE are always destined to clean toilets and do other dirty jobs, are BEHAVING towards those who offer hope to Dalits in a most evil of ways.
Posted by Polycarp, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 4:13:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All