The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Beliefs and Behavior.

Beliefs and Behavior.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
If a person says "I believe in Santa Claus" then, one would expect, based on the traditional stories, for the person to hang out a stocking on Christmas eve and to expect a large person in a red suit to descend via the Chimney and deliver presents to those who have been GOOD! (and that as Christmas approached the behavior of the believer would noticably improve)

FAIRIES. If a person believes that Fairies inhabit their garden and will only be visible to those who are on their bestest behavior, it stands to reason that they will seek to manifest such behavior in order to see said fairies.

RELIGION. If a person such as a Jehovah's witness believes that "The life is in the blood" of a human being, and that interfering with human blood is an awful sin... it not only stands to reason that they will refuse blood transfusions, but it is a verifiable FACT.

So..on the basis of the last example, if a JW was found to have received a blood transfusion, and this got back to the elders of that persons local assembly... one would expect a disciplinary session of rather serious proportions.
http://watchtowerblood.blogspot.com/

In such a case, we may call the person a 'good' JW or a 'bad' JW only on the grounds of their committment to their agreed values/doctrines.

Other than this, we might call them all manner of names about how we feel about them, but on faith issues? "Doctine" is the determinant.

Just so, it is illogical, unreasonable and irrational to call people 'Christians' who deliberately and manifestly DEFY a clear Biblical imperitive, but more importantly the agreed teachings of CHRIST Himself; to do so is patently fraudulent.

If Jesus of Nazareth said "put away your sword" to the only follower of his EVER to have raised one in anger in his defense, and then Healed the victim.....it is most UNreasonable to suggest any connection between His teaching, or that of His disciples with violence. All historical evaluations must be subject to HIM, and Him alone.
Posted by Polycarp, Monday, 20 October 2008 4:41:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David! So you have found another cult that is worst than yours. I don't know what angle your coming from, but this is not helping the case for people choosing religion.

The man and woman on screen are complete nut-jobs.

You are a standing mountain of logic compared to that lot. If I had to choose a religion, I would pick yours.

I will go back and worship the earth:)

Thanks for pointing that out.

EVO
Posted by EVO, Monday, 20 October 2008 7:23:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Polycarp,

This thread has the potential of being
an interesting one.

In Matthew 26:55 Jesus said:
"Am I leading a rebellion, that you have
come out with swords and clubs to capture me?"
Perhaps this question was rhetorical.

He was leading a rebellion against the orthodox
Jewish religion. He was also leading a revolution
against wealth and privilege.

In Matthew 5:3 Jesus said (among other things):
"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the
earth." Jesus threw the money lenders out of the
temple, shared food, healed the sick and told
the rich they had as much hope of getting to heaven
as a camel had of passing through the eye of a needle.

The most important thing to me, is the Christian
golden rule:

"Do to others as you would them do to you."
(Luke 6:27-36).

This golden rule exists in other cultures and
religions. However, it is central to the Christian
value system.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 20 October 2008 7:30:56 PM
So the Crusades were non-Christian holy wars?

Interesting concept, tell me more.
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 20 October 2008 7:36:23 PM
Polycarp,

Are the Christian churches, Christian; i.e., Christian to the word of Christ's teachings?

[You know I have Christ pegged as a revolutionist Jew making a run for the House of David, but I will put that idea aside for today.]

Where do the main churches stand, in-history, in respect to his teachings vis-a-vis a modern secular humanist? Should Christians kill others in wars?

Oly.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 20 October 2008 8:02:29 PM
"Just so, it is illogical, unreasonable and irrational to call people 'Christians' who deliberately and manifestly DEFY a clear Biblical imperitive, but more importantly the agreed teachings of CHRIST Himself; to do so is patently fraudulent."

The point David makes is a valid one and I intend to stop refering to David as a christian. The bible has clear imperitives about truth and honest.
- Don't bring false false witness against anoth
- Let your yes be yes and your no be no
- God is a god of truth

Clearly given Davids posting history he can not and should not be called a christain.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 20 October 2008 8:08:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy