The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Beliefs and Behavior.

Beliefs and Behavior.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All
That is again, what we come back to. Your interpretation is that and that alone, and before you can even argue your interpretation is right, you must persuade people it is relevant, and frankly you botch it on both counts.

As an example, the massacres in Orissa province. I agree they're a worry - but to use an example, I could just as easily say that they're more about generalising and categorising people by belief, as you are keen to do. Lets say there was a hindu holy man murdered by a christian - then seeking justice against a single christian would be justified, but taking action against the many based on their beliefs would not. Similarly, if a muslim commits a crime in Australia, it would be erratic to take action against all of them by limiting muslim migration, something you have long argued in favour of.

We need no ancient texts here. The issue is simple, but because your pet interest is using ancient texts to categorise people in such a manner, then of course, that's what you consider worthwhile.

But don't you dare pretend others have not 'earned' your respect for not indulging your pet cause.

So to reiterate - the vast number of contested interpretations and offshoots of religions, combined with the different practices of those within them show an extremely limited adherence in most instances. Some will be devout, some will not, and some will ignore the intended meaning in favour of one that suits their pet causes - i.e. your lack of humility and your apparent belief that your own interpretations are more valid than others, appears unchristian to some - but fortunately, the rest of us know that the lines are far more fuzzy than that... right?
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 27 October 2008 2:57:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Polly: MUUUUUUM!

Mother: What is it this time, dear?

P: No-one will play my game with me!

M: Well, dear perhaps they want to play another game.

P: I want them to play MY game.

M: Sometimes, we have to play different games so that everyone gets a turns at playing what they like.

P: They should like my game, its the best game.

M: When you get a little older, dear, you will see that there a lots of different games; some are fun and learning a new game can be fun.

P: No! My game is the bestest game of all!

M: Sometimes sharing means playing games differently to how you would like to play. Now run along dear, I am sure you will find someone to play with.

Polly stamps his foot, slumps and sticks his thumb in his mouth.
Posted by Fractelle, Monday, 27 October 2008 3:25:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Polly stamps his foot, slumps and sticks his thumb in his mouth."

Yes, your thumb's all you've got - when you've just spat the dummy!

Thanks for a good laugh, Fractelle, and some good home truths there too, TRTL. Unfortunately though, once again, it will all be water off a duck's back.
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 27 October 2008 10:37:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy