The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Shared Parenting Best Interests?

Shared Parenting Best Interests?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
With so many changes with the family law reforms, it sounds really positive and fair. The fathers rights groups seemed to have some clout and not much was said about what the children were experiencing. So I dug a little deeper and discovered what they were really doing - forcing domestic violence victims, rape victims and child abuse victims to see their offender unsupervised and uncompromised. For these people, there is no escape and no justice. Homicides went on the increase by 14 percent in 2005 and the public familycides of the dam dad and Karen Bells great loss. I discovered that the family court never really dealt with child abuse cases but were happy to enforce them. I found out that if you get raped by a stranger and become pregnant he can file to stop the abortion and have unquestioned access to the child. There is even a part of the law where he can stop the doctors from examining if the child is raped because its "too distressing". Best Interests?
Posted by Anonymum, Tuesday, 14 October 2008 8:30:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear anon.....I think what you stumbled onto is the mirky world of....

"Democratic Politics" where... to quote from the Bible....

"every man did what was right in his own eyes
for there was no king in Israel at that time" Judges 21:25

If you actually read that chapter. (the verse is the last of the book)
you will see where 'right in his own eyes' actually led. I'ts one of the saddest chapters of the Bible, but it reports real history.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=7&chapter=21&version=31

Political/social pressure groups can achieve just about any goal if they make enough noise.. why not try it some time:)
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 7:39:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anonymum:"forcing domestic violence victims, rape victims and child abuse victims to see their offender unsupervised and uncompromised."

Frankly, I disagree completely with your statement. My experience is that a mere unproven allegation was sufficient to prevent me from seeing my children for many months, with many visits to Court without a trial date being set.

I've seen other friends in similar situations, when an unscrupulous mother chooses to misuse the law to her own ends.

Anonymum:". I discovered that the family court never really dealt with child abuse cases"

Which is as it should be. A child abuse case is a criminal matter and belongs in the Criminal Court. If the DPP declines to prosecute, the FCA/FMC have no business taking the matter under consideration.

I have shared care of my children after a long and very painful struggle. My children are better off for that arrangement.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 10:02:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anonymum, what you believe about the motives and actions of the fathers groups will be influenced by other beliefs.

As a single dad who was involved in one of the groups for a period your impressions on shared care are not ones I share. The risk of contact with an abuser is an issue but it's an existing issue. If nothing else shared care gives kids regular contact with the other parent who may notice the signs of abuse.

The stats on substantiated child abuse and neglect don't show a consistant gender difference in abusers. Kids in single parent households are at far greater risk than in other types of households, kids in female led single parent households may be slightly more at risk than those in single parent male lead households (but I don't think that there are enough kids in the latter to give a meaningful result).

Have a read of http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs7/rs7.pdf

If you want to blame someone for kids being placed in the care of abusers don't blame those wanting fathers to have a meaningful role in their childrens lives, blame those who have cried wolf over protecting children for their own purposes.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 9:24:43 PM
Anonymum:"forcing domestic violence victims, rape victims and child abuse victims to see their offender unsupervised and uncompromised."

Antiseptic: "Frankly, I disagree completely with your statement. My experience is that a mere unproven allegation was sufficient to prevent me from seeing my children for many months, with many visits to Court without a trial date being set."

Antiseptic, even proven child abuse cases, the father gets to see the child, I know this because I have heard the accounts of now adult children that have experienced judicial child abuse and I have sighted evidence of this occurring. Whilst you have strong feelings about not being able to see your child, these feelings also support child abusers and perpetrators not to be investigated - is this what you really want? Your children grow up some day and you wont be physically able to protect them without the intervention of authority, what are you going to do if it happens to them?
Posted by Anonymum, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 10:10:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi anonymum

I had a look on your website and to be honest and risking sounding negative, the info seems biased and I was disappointed.

Fathers are generally people who are loved by our children as much as mothers.

It hurts me deeply when I see men vilify or criticise mothers and women, so I imagine that men must feel the same hurt.

It's all too easy to collect one type of articles to fit a particular agenda. Male movement sites are guilty of doing the same about women, and it's hurtful and cruel.

I believe that share care is better for children if both parents are willing and can come to an agreement, and parental happiness reflects on the children as well.

If one of the parents is abusive, then indeed there should be no unsupervised visits. If that happens it is wrong- pointing that out is a good thing to do.

I struggle with understanding family law and issues; there are so many angles that have to be considered and it's so sensitive. I find it hard to find a balance I'm happy with.

I just can't see any benefit in having all these male movement sites that vilify females or female sites that vilify males.
Most parents want the best for their children, it would be better if these sites would offer constructive advice about what to do with the children, how to act in favour of children etc.

If I was in a situation of getting a divorce with young children I'd love them to spend time with their dad (providing he was not abusive) no matter how much I hated him.
I would want that for my children because I love them.

They deserve the best and two parents are better than one, although there are MANY single or sole parents who do a great job, too.
Posted by Celivia, Wednesday, 15 October 2008 10:17:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy