The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Families on the way out in OZ

Families on the way out in OZ

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
CJM, you're talking at cross-purposes to me. My point, which I've backed up many times, is that because the State has made the post-relationship power imbalance so great, the power imbalance is inevitably shifted in the home. I never expected to be "head of the house", but I did expect some give-and-take. What I found was that I was expected to give and she expected to take. When I finally decided I was no longer prepared to be a cash-cow, I was accused of all sorts of things, just as you're doing now. Inevitably, the State backed her when she chose to end the relationship, just as she knew it would. This is a very common experience and if it's not been yours, you're very lucky.

I have always treated women, including my ex-wife, as equals, which means that I'm not prepared to condone discriminatory treatment of men. You argue for equality, but still want the nanny-State to treat women better than men. That's woolly thinking at best.

As for "dealing with it", the State has tried to send me bankrupt on 2 occasions, it has tried to take over 80% of my gross income and it has driven me from a career into a self-employment scenario in which my earnings are so much lower than they may have been it's laughable. At the same time, the State has paid for my ex to attend Uni, provided her with low-cost accommodation, paid her legal bills incurred through trying to take my children away and made every effort to prevent an equable arrangement being arrived at. If I appear somewhat angry about this, I believe I have the right.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 18 August 2008 10:55:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too much LACK of responsibility of young males for their part in preventing baby making – and LACK of ability to remain in relationships.

Equality: do unto others ...
Christianity: love your wife as you would yourself...ie, treat her as an equal, if you can make decisons, so can she.....so many only quote the 'head of household bit'..read on and get the whole instruction..

Young couples - young fathers can not handle the responsibility of kids – he wanted to party and play some more with mates, leaving the marriage and mum holding the baby. Seen it in our social circle as kids grow up.

Mum, - pension, stigmatised, broke and little prospects of advancing in any career. Dad comes and goes to see baby as he pleases

Funny thing though, in my day job (mechanic) I see more & more men who come in and say proudly
“ I am a single dad” wanting a discount.….I wonder when “single fatherhood” on pension will be stigmatized as is the situation for women? Now that would be equality!
Posted by hotrods4, Monday, 18 August 2008 11:14:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<< I don't imagine too many Australians would miss blokes like you who apparently have to go to a tribal society in order to find the primitive status they seem to need. >>>> Insults won’t get you there CJM. I did though ask my wife and kids over breakfast this morning what tribe they belong to, and none have any idea what I am talking about. Living in an up-market suburb with a broadband connected computer and 100 channel cable TV in every room is not the grass and bamboo hut that maybe you are envisaging.

It is very notable with this debate so far that not one person has yet made comment about the 2 men every day that suicide in Australia, the fact that this is linked to relationship problems, promoted by CSA, and the lack of recognition this appalling scenario receives from both the media and in political circles. It is my mission to assist these men find another better life rather than the one in the hereafter.

I have been there with the full force of the Australian anti male system trying to tramp me out in support of my Russian wife who was not even an Australian, and feel greatly for any other man/father caught in this highly discriminatory trap. If anyone here knows any other man who needs help, please tell them to contact me – help is available in more ways than one. WMM@innocent.co
Posted by Poncan, Monday, 18 August 2008 12:40:30 PM
Foxy,

'the great majority
of Australians will continue to marry to legitimise
any offspring. '
That's pretty offensive.
All offspring are legitimate. A couple doesn't need to marry for their children to be 'legitimate'.

TurnRightThenLeft,

'women have traditionally been relegated to lesser roles.'
Well that's the crux of it isn't it. 'Lesser' as defined by whom?

It's feminism itself that downgraded the role of mother and home maker. Men used to look for a woman who would be a good mother and housewife, they valued this role immensely. Women looked for a provider. All that has changed, and we all have more choice (women more than men currently), but I reject the notion that women's traditional role was lesser.

The power the housewife held in the home was also conveniently ignored by feminists.

See, if you want a revolution, why would you say, 'hey women, your role is important, and valued by men and women alike, and gives you power over the management of time and resources and relationships in the most private space people have.'

Much better to say, 'look, any fool can run a house, and because you don't get paid in cash, the job has no worth. You're being taken for a ride and men have a rosy time, don't you want some of that too?'
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 18 August 2008 2:38:43 PM
Antiseptic: << you're talking at cross-purposes to me >>

We do seem to talking at cross-purposes. I responded to Poncan's question "Has (sic) the man being usually the family head, including all the responsibilities that go with it, a thing of the past in Australia?" in the affirmative, and told him to deal with it. You responded to me in a way that implied that I was wrong, i.e. that the man "being usually the family head" is not "a thing of the past" in Australia.

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your response.

Poncan - while the Philippines is indeed one of the few nations on earth that doesn't allow divorce, your claim that "domestic violence is unheard of" is patently false. Google 'philippines domestic violence' and you'll get around 685,000 hits. It seems that many women in your male utopia are trapped in violent marriages, with little recourse.

So your previous bride was Russian - mail order? Yes, Australia's loss is indeed the Philippines' gain.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 18 August 2008 3:30:59 PM
CJM – yes, the question of domestic violence. I have no doubt that it does happen in the Philippines and particularly in the South, but it is unheard of where I am and around the people I know. But, as usual this is a feminist driven program that supposedly only applies to women and kids. I have no doubt that there is a feminist element here somewhere that promotes the same rhetoric promoted by feminist supporting organizations in Australia that conveniently ignore the violence perpetrated against men. The figures I have seen recently show clearly that most DV perpetrators are women. Men are less likely to report it. The Philippines have about 5 times the population of Australia, so one can expect the numbers to be multiplied by this factor if understanding a balance is important.

I was once told of my wife’s adult brother (in Australia) being hit over the head by the mother wheeling a heavy metal wok. I was told that this was a disciplinary matter, and although he was knocked out cold, it was not considered domestic violence, and never reported. I wonder how this would be considered if the gender roles were reversed?

The Russian experience was a result of me living there for about 6 Months. Call it what you like, it all went well until we arrived in Australia where feminist pressure did a number on us both. Now only our child is the only one suffering as do all kids of broken families.

CJM – please let me know your thoughts about male suicides in OZ
Posted by Poncan, Monday, 18 August 2008 4:16:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy