The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Domestic slaves and birthing machines

Domestic slaves and birthing machines

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Is this all that women do? I know its not, but is this what patriarchy expects of them? It is a sad state of affairs when half the world's population is treated like slaves. A bit strong? NO!

As I see it, patriarchal values still rule. And it is not just men who perpetuate these myths. Nevertheless, it is men, perhaps the majority, who benefit from them. So what are you going to do about it my fellow man, and sisters?
Posted by Haralambos, Monday, 19 May 2008 3:46:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Haralambos,

We've been down this track before on previous threads.

For their part, Australian men, after some hesitancy, have generally reacted positively to the growing equality of women. Though admitedly
not all (see the "New Sexism" thread).

In fact, men's own roles, being complementary to those of women, are inevitably in some flux also.

Men are now permitted a more gentle and expressive personality than would have been considered appropriate a few decades ago; the 1950s "John Wayne" image of American manhood has less and less appeal to both sexes. Like the feminine role, the masculine role is now more ambiguous, more flexible, more subject to interpretation by the individual.

Resolving this kind of ambiguity is part of the challenge of social and cultural change. As I wrote in another thread, under the old system, everyone knew what their roles were, and most people unquestioningly behaved as they were supposed to. The system constrained people, but it freed them from the need to make choices.

There are fewer constraints today, but the individual now has the liberty - to choose his or her own path to self-fulfillment.

Our society today is individualistic and highly open to change and experimentation, and it is likely that men and women will explore a wide variety of possible roles. True liberation from the restrictions of gender would mean that all possible options would be open and equally acceptable for both sexes.

Then a person's individual human qualities, rather than his or her biological sex, would be the primary measure of that person's worth and achievement.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 19 May 2008 5:27:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haralambos

I know women who have taken great delight in raising children. On the other hand I have known women who have sadly committed suicide while pursuing careers. I hope you are not devaluing motherhood. While some religions treat women atrociously I think you will find that where the gospel has taken root in a country the women have benefited greatly. Secular humanism unfortunately leads to a lot of guilt and shame as many women are deceived in aborting babies and then suffering the consequences.
Posted by runner, Monday, 19 May 2008 5:46:23 PM
You got off to a great start
but berthing macines is the root of our problem

You see we [aust] live under maritime laws[constitutional law is a lie]
You see we are berthed and accorded a landing [berth] number ,that brands us as slaves to the good ship australia inc ,[a colenising power] that treats man or beast like a slave called a citisen of aust[incoperated [overlorded by policing and an in-justice system to those who identify to their birth certificate [enslavement ]number

Our courts are formed under the same maritime juristiction ,thus as the judge [like any captain in charge of their vessel] makes rulings over those serving under him[ever noticed in court the judge to ask you do you understand?, what the judge is asking are you a freeman [or do you submit[ stand [under] my authority to rule judgment over you

Any way its a complicated 'subject' and only the lawyers and the elites who know the truth get arround the UNCONSTITUTIONAL law ,thus by ignorance fall under maritime juris-restriction.

WE fall under the jurisrestriction when we 'apply'' for things using our birth[berthing] number like when we apply [it means legally to beg]for a licence [any licence ] from the state [states also are under maritime juris-restriction]

But i see your only taking figerative matriarchal enslavement to a patriarchal figure head , not the actual [true] legal [illegal ie not lawfull] enslavement of us all to the state, so i will let you get on with minour things, that demeans us all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTrhUwHaghA
Posted by one under god, Monday, 19 May 2008 7:02:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haralambos, there seems little point in yet another debate about this.

If you are genuinely interested get hold of a book called "The Myth of Male Power" by Warren Farrel. You probably won't agree with much but at least you will have seen the alternative viewpoint.

Farrels detractors will point out that many years ago he said some stuff that looks like support for child sexual abuse. I'm undecided about that not having seen the published interview nor having access to the tapes of the interview but none of that breaks the logic of what he says in this book.

No need to believe him but read it and see if the idea that women have been kept as virtual slaves and men reaping the benefits still seems so compelling. The world really is more complex than that and the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 19 May 2008 7:36:12 PM
Haralambos. Stop ya whinging and get back in the kitchen. What else do ya want?. You've got the uterus. That shuts down the 'birthing machine' argument. You want kids but you don't want to spit them out?. You'd be whinging if you did the full time work and ya hubby was at home, bludging. Harden up, or step off. Either way, shoosh, I'm watching the news.
Posted by StG, Monday, 19 May 2008 8:22:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy