The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sexism....or Culture

Sexism....or Culture

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Yesterday I went to the local video shop.
I was chatting with the chick serving.. asking 'Any plans for the weekend'? She responded.."nothing major.. going into the City for some car show thing"....

I asked "Oh..there's a car show on" ?

Then.. she looked puzzled.. and asked the 'bloke' nearby.. "Hey (name).. there's a car show on in the city 2morrow right"?

Then..I said..(Smiling) "wow..that was a pretty sexist question" then she admitted.. "Yep.. we do expect the guys to know these kind of things"

Then I got to thinking... what the heck is WRONG with it being a 'bloke' thing to be into cars..and a 'chick' thing to be into 'girl stuff'.. what is wrong with 'bloke stuff' and 'girl stuff' ?

What is wrong with having cultural norms that we all know..and by which we establish and know our place in society....

By 'what' authority did feminazis and social engineers get the idea that it is 'sexist' (implying it is a bad thing) for girls to look to boys for certain things..and boys to look to girls for others ?

To me..its simply culture. I resent to the uttermost that a present to a girl of some utensil for the kitchen or anything related to what is normally considered 'girl' stuff is wrong. I absolutely love the idea of a new cordless.. I don't consider that 'sexist' -rather an affirmation of my role.

Time for some cultural healing of our very sick society I reckon.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 1 March 2008 2:21:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz,

What are you talking about? Who says it's wrong to have girl's stuff and boy's stuff? While think it's a great idea to challenge ideas about gender, and while I don't think anyone actually fits neatly into their gender, I also don't know of any feminists who say that women and men aren't allowed to have different interests. If there are, they're pretty fringe. How have they impacted your life?

Or is this just one of those ideas, like PC culture, when everyone talks about how they're getting silenced, but have no actual examples of it ever happening?

"Feminazi." Until I started posting on these boards, I had no idea people still used that term. Thought it died in the 80s.
Posted by Vanilla, Saturday, 1 March 2008 2:55:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz

I don't know anyone who has a problem with this. I agree with Vanilla that Feminazi is a somewhat outdated term and I've never met one of those either. I am not sure what is meant by a Feminazi and I only ever hear the term now (seldom) when it is being used to put down women who might just have the audacity to argue for equal pay or other such despicable acts.

I am one of the lucky ones that has been married to the same person for 22 years and we quite readily accept differences in interests and sometimes they even overlap. :)
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 1 March 2008 4:48:31 PM
Er, Boazy. The "chick" knew the car show was on and you didn't.

What sort of bloke are you anyway?

If you look, you might see a large hole in your foot :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 1 March 2008 5:22:41 PM
Did I read this right? BOAZY told the video shop chick that her question was sexist because she asked a guy about a car show? And somehow this translates into a sick society that a comment like that even came to mind? Even when it came from Boazy himself(prompted by his own feminazi upbringing presumably)? Weird.

Keep 'em coming Boazy, these are starting to get really funny.
Posted by Bugsy, Saturday, 1 March 2008 8:12:35 PM
Well... I'm encouraged.

I must be living in a time warp :)

Looks like all that time watching Fox retro movies (Magnum,Nanny,Frazier) and listening to Air Supply has kept me in the 70s :)

Well..its refreshing to hear the voices of protest from those I would normally associate with the lefty/feminist mob.. hurray ...

Now.. that hole in my foot.. sheesh.. I deserved that one.. but the thing is.. I don't fit the mould of 'blokey' things..like Car shows, Utes, Booze etc.. not the stererotype anyway.

Seems like most of us are on the same page here..even with the 'evil' snide comments from the dark side :)

If most of us can agree about this, then I'm greatly encouraged.

Ok.. now that we have made some notable progress.. can we take this a step further, and suggest that such gender roles should be promoted as 'complementary' and mutually fulfilling at the education and training levels ?

I'll live dangerously here.. "Is there really a problem with teaching girls Home Ec. and cooking, and blokes 'machine shop/woodwork' as long as they can still persue other careers also"?

It seems that there is a vacuum in many young and old lives, a vacuum of values and meaning.. exacerbated by what appears to be an absense of moral compass in education.

I wonder if there would be value in contrasting some values in other cultures with ours ?

The classic example I use these days, is the 2 contrasting photo's from the Australian war Memorial.
1/ showing a Japanese soldier with raised Samurai sword, about to behead a kneeling blindfolded digger POW.
2/ Then there is one of 2 diggers, with a Jap POW, one digger is supporting his back, the other is feeding him.

Personally, and rightly or wrongly, I link this historically to the spiritual heritage of "Love your enemies, do good to those who persecute you" which of course comes from Christ.

Can anyone think of any other origin for such differences in values in the West, compared to those of the "East"?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 2 March 2008 6:19:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy