The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Getting it right: read, comprehend and then respond

Getting it right: read, comprehend and then respond

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I used to have a friend who used to shout at the microwave when the machine wasnt cooking fast enough.
It was quite funny.
I mean the thing is only going to go as fast as it does.
What a fast moving world we live in.
Everything has to be done right now, today, this minute.
And what carelessness it causes; and so many heart attacks.
Frequently I get bagged on this site by folk who simply havent taken the time to read what Ive said...they speed read and jump words and ignore the gist.
Ive done it and when it backfires its embarrassing.
So how about we take the time to read the comment someone has written and respond with greater care?
Let the rat race fade... and read, comprehend and then respond.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 13 February 2008 2:40:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GIBO...welcome to my 'creepy' world :)

How many times have you seen the Brilliance of CJ Morgan saying "You selectively take texts, have no evidence at all.. blather on.. biased..bigoted.. yada yada"

THEN...

He comes out with this beauty :)

"I have as much interest in the mythical Islamic texts as I have in the Christian ones..zilch"

I meannnn ... errrr...words fail me...

Then there is 'Frank'.. "you have no evidence" etc etc.. yada yada.. but you present evidence and then Frank just comes back with "you are this or that" ...

Talk about 'blinkered and bigoted'.. "Don't confuse me with facts.. I have my mind verrrrry much made up thank you" Onya Frank... don't take this too personally mate.. no offence.. just making observations.

Fuzzy Foxy goes on about 'patience/tolerance/understanding' yet she barely has a basic understanding of the Christian texts, let alone the Islamic.....it would appear... and all of them seem to demonstrate a singular lack of a grasp of world events, unable to see that 'what is happening in UK.or France.. now..is what might happen here soon if we don't do something about it.

So..in short..I agree.

READ...
COMPREHEND...
DISCUSS....
and then..if evidence is presented, evuate 'IT' and not the presenter... and debate IT....rather than project your own preconceived views about what people who say some unpopular, politically incorrect things are in fact like and play the man.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 13 February 2008 3:30:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are all guilty of this at times - through the very reasons you mention Gibo - that of our rush rush society and perceived need for immediate gratifcation. I know I am guilty of it sometimes. We all need to stop and smell the roses.

I is difficult on a forum, we are at a disadvantage in that we don't know each other and words on a screen are just that. We can't see the person's facial expressions or body language and maybe sometimes the subtle nuances get missed in the reading and interpretation.

I guess the best thing is to assume the BEST. Assume that a comment wasn't meant the way it 'sounded'. Of course there will be those who outright abuse but that can be easily ignored. Religion is one area that will always arouse the passions, you cannot argue logic or rationale with Religion it won't work with faith-based reasoning so already people will be on the defensive to prove ostensibly that their values are important and valid (on both sides of the argument).
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 13 February 2008 5:08:09 PM
Gibo, I've not noticed much evidence of you being bagged due to people misreading what you have posted. Perhaps you could list a dozen or so examples (The little blue icon under each post allows you to copy the URL of the post to the clipboard for later pasting into a message).

I suspect that you will find the overwhelming majority of the criticism's leveled at your posts are due to the unsubstantiated fairy tales you try and foist on the world as fact.

Maybe some reading into what you are doing based on past experience with you but I've not noticed anybody getting that obviously wrong yet.

Perhaps instead of worrying that people are not taking the time to comprehend your posts you could take the time to read and comprehend the mostly valid rebuttals of those posts.

You might learn something even if it's a bit scary.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 13 February 2008 5:42:54 PM
I dont think I will bother RObert.
Theres too many here that will twist anything I say no matter how I prove it so.
Some love to play with pentecostal christianity.
Others like to play with little green men and UFO's.
Others like to bag over my concern over national defence (actually Im not a gun person).
I think your one of them.
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 13 February 2008 6:13:57 PM
So gibo, you say often people misinterpret you.

When asked to provide examples, you don't want to, claiming it will be misrepresented. I think that's a copout.

Frankly, I think R0bert's quite right. You know that your evangelical christianity infused with demonic tales, prophecies, and flying saucers can't stand up to logic or rational criticism, so instead you claim to be misinterpreted.

And boaz, as for your posts, there's only so many times you can have someone attempt to present ancient scripture ( be it talking snakes, talking burning bushes or miracles) to you as immutable fact before you tell them you just can't listen to that guff anymore.

Tell me boaz, if I made post upon post on this website, each one reading from the manual of say, a samsung mobile phone, and claimed these textual nuggets were able to solve the mysteries of the world, would you keep paying attention - especially if I tended to have a single axe to grind - say, the abolition of pineapple on pizza (heaven forbid).

THE TRUTH: The samsung A210 hath spoken. THE BIG PICTURE! NOW: The book of samsung speaks only of communication and understanding between peoples of the world.

CULTURAL CLASHES The scripture of the pizza lover however, is racked with evil. HATRED: Cholesterol and pepperoni shall smite the good people of the planet with their greasy ways.

Be it the bible or the qu'ran, what you don't appear to see, is that people read what they want from the both of them. They're both so broad, anyone can interpret them in a manner that suits their prejudices.
Witness the westboro church verbally attacking heath ledger during his family's time of mourning.

No doubt you've got an interpretation that can condemn the westboro fanatics as wrong, boaz, but they've got their interpretation, you've got yours, sunni islamic militants have their interpretation of the qu'ran, just the like moderate shi'ites have another, just like mormons have an interpretation and seventh day adventists have theirs.

The rest of us couldn't give a crap. Which is why we ignore all this mysticism.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 13 February 2008 6:59:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy