The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What are People Against Live Exports about?

What are People Against Live Exports about?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Ok Taurus, so read what the CSIRO says about roos dying of hunger.

http://www.csiro.au/files/mediaRelease/mr1998/KangaroosFactfiction.htm

Fact is roos are much the same as other species in evolution theory.
Yup, some will survive in odd pockets, lots will die a miserable
death. Its limiting their numbers that causes not so many to die
as nature would cause. Now lets say roo numbers had been 5 times
higher. There would not be a blade of grass left anywhere, so
most would die.

They did an interesting experiment once with deer, on an island
off the US coast. They put 50 deer on there and no predators. The
theoretical capacity was around 1700, ie. feed that could grow
in a normal rainfall year. They built up to 5000, then all but
about 50 died of starvation.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 22 October 2006 8:19:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This started Yabby about the comparison re-sheep penned up on a boat versus roos dying of hunger(your asssertion)..Im not saying some roos dont die of hunger, I am saying that as opposed to sheep locked away on a boat where they are reliant on man to care for them,taking into account all their needs on long hauls overseas..roos have it relatively good.
At least the roo has the option of save himself based on his own wits and survival skills where the sheep hasnt that choice.

Yes drought is hard on all land animals.Roos do migrate and they usually do find food..not many roos die of hunger..not saying it doesnt happen though.

Ill read your link .
Posted by taurus29, Sunday, 22 October 2006 8:36:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having read your link Yabby:)(hi)

It is plain to see the guy who wrote this article has never left his office let alone let alone done any evidenced based research into his claims..

First of all he says roos have been around 5 million years and then he says that roos are not dying now because they have convenient access to dams.So he bases his research on this?

Well I doubt there were any dams around 5 million yrs ago..so what did roos do..they followed rainfall patterns thats what.
Any shooter worth his salt knows that the reason he goes out to his usual property, were he was assured of always a good load, suddenly to find not a roo to be found..they shoot thru pretty quick.

We were always being told by idiots that roos were becoming exticnt,, you had to laugh actually because we,d go out on any given day or night and see swarms of red plain kangaroos moving in droves..

He did his research and collated his 'facts' from the same place these bludgers did, on his arse.
Posted by worldgirl, Sunday, 22 October 2006 9:00:09 PM
And the deer were kept on a confined area such as an island..of course they were going to eat themselves out..cant move to greener pastures if you confine them to an island can they? they are also a plain animal..they also follow rain and grass.

Cute story though.
Posted by worldgirl, Sunday, 22 October 2006 9:02:36 PM
"not many roos die of hunger..not saying it doesnt happen though"

How do you know how many roos would die, without human intervention
of shooting some? His point is that high roo numbers in Australia
are due to humans digging water points, a valid point. If it comes
to trusting you or CSIRO, let me just say that CSIRO wins hands down:)

Yup, they put the deer on an island. Australia is a large island.
Given enough numbers over enough area, the exact same principles
apply! Sheesh

Nope, live sheep don't die a slow painfull death of hunger or
thirst, as many wild animals do. But yes they will die, just
like you will die. The worms will eat even you :)
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 22 October 2006 9:13:41 PM
I think Yabby that all this stuff about roos dying in drought is just a red herring to deflect from the real issue regarding live sheep export.

You can argue on forever that roos dye in drought , I wont argue,some do , but not a disproportionate number..they are survivors..they ARE migratory animals as are deer..that was my point anyway..as for the validity of that report..Since when were the csiro the holy grail of reporting?

Some lazy, unmotivated buggers in their offices I can tell you.

That 'report' is from 1998..very scant on any kind of real information and just a little bit irrelevant.

Also I might like to point out that every country is just a glorified island..but the word usually conjures up Christmas or Kangaroo island in my mind.

I would rather trust my own experience when it comes to anything to do with kangaroos..that includes you and the csrio..
I know what Ive seen and I know how penpushers can distorte facts and numbers to suit themselves.
Posted by worldgirl, Sunday, 22 October 2006 9:54:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All