The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Haredi Jews and other Isrealis forced into the military. Yes or no?

Haredi Jews and other Isrealis forced into the military. Yes or no?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
For very long time periods Haredi Jews have been allowed to continue Torah study and not face the prospect of conscription, but a proposal from the Israeli government could force these people to serve in the military against their will.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/26/plan-end-ultra-orthodox-students-military-exemption-row-israel

At the same time we see young people in Israel object to mandated military service in terms of the government there. Those engaging in such a practice are labelled 'refusenicks' and are being shunned by people in communities and by family members.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-30/sofia-orr-s-fight-against-israel-s-mandatory-military-service/103650962

Are their objections valid or should they be made take part in military action as part of a bigger picture and ridding the area of Hamas?
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 31 March 2024 9:12:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Nathan for introducing this topic.

I am having harsh discussions about it with my family in Israel, where it is a very hot and sensitive issue.

My position is absolutely clear: No one under any circumstances whatsoever ought to be conscripted.

Kidnapping children for the army, whose only "crime" was to be born and reach the age of 18 in relative health, is just not on, it is the utmost cruelty and is akin to slavery as well as to the kidnapping and locking up of innocent hostages in Gaza or by Boko-Haram in Africa, or of sending innocent Uyghurs in China to concentration camps.

If not enough citizens can be convinced to enlist amicably, then this could mean that their country does not deserve to exist.

That said, I agree that Israel should not continue to subsidise financially those young Haredim who would not enlist, while meanwhile provide more financial incentives to those who do.

Israel's army needs many more soldiers, especially due to the high number of soldiers killed and wounded in the present war, but one way it could easily recover its numbers is by pulling out its many brigades from the West Bank, as well as by having a moratorium on senseless parades and similar displays of pride and arrogance.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 1 April 2024 11:35:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One in, all in. Knowing human nature, some people will use all the excuses they can muster to avoid conscription.

I'm not generally in favour of conscription, but when your own country is in danger, all citizens should be required to do whatever they are capable of to protect the country.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 1 April 2024 12:16:46 PM
Hi Nathan,

The politically powerful Haredim make up roughly 13% of
Israeli society according to the Times of Israel. and they
have traditionally received exemptions from the military if
they are studying full time in a yeshiva or religious
seminary. The exemptions and the government stipend
many yeshiva students receive through age 26 has infuriated
the wider general public.

Cries for change echo through Israel. However, the leadership
of Haredim is unwilling to make any changes thus far. If there
are elections - and a weakened Haredim - then maybe change will
happen.

We shall have to wait and see.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 1 April 2024 1:06:48 PM
Dear Foxy,

«If there are elections - and a weakened Haredim - then maybe change will happen.»

I do hope for Israeli elections to be held sooner rather than later.

And I do expect the Haredim to negotiate and eventually join the potential winners in order to protect their most vital interests, even if they fail to receive as good a deal as they enjoy in the present government, thus a change could happen but unlikely a big one.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 1 April 2024 1:29:22 PM
I don't think elections will held in the middle of a war!

It seems that some Israelis want Netanyahu gone - after the war. They blame him for the security breach that saw Hamas, UNRWA and "innocent" Gazans slaughtering and debasing Israeli civilians, but the know Netanyahu is the only one to save them.

I wonder who these chicken-livered Left-wing nutters think will save them when terrorists inevitably attack Israel again, and again, and again as is inevitable.

The limp-Left in that benighted country are just like their sort in other democratic countries - all peace and love, and thinking that their pathetic wokeness is going to protect them from future Islamic terrorists.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 1 April 2024 10:14:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy