The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > U.S politics and religion adding to the Middle East crisis

U.S politics and religion adding to the Middle East crisis

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
With friends like these, who needs enemies?*?

They are Christian Evangelicals all right, but why are they referred to here as "religious"?
The book they rely on so fervently, the Bible, is not even a religious text, it's the national book of the Jews (which they seem to see themselves belonging to).

And if you ignorantly insist on calling these senseless idiots a "religious influence", then what about Islamic Hamas? Why are they not also mentioned as "religious influence" for the balance?

With friends like these, who needs enemies?!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 25 October 2023 8:28:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"religious"

It's just a generic word to differentiate between people who follow any form of religious beliefs from those who don't.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 25 October 2023 9:15:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Critic,

I disagree that anything about their particular beliefs is religious.

But this we already discussed in the past.

Suppose we continue to disagree and you insist that their motives are religious, then why mention them alone? why not mention the same about Hamas and the Muslim states that support it? Don't they also hold similar crazy beliefs?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 25 October 2023 9:52:40 PM
Hi Yuyutsu,
I have a housemate who's a Christian, and he reads his bible often.
He also takes issue with the word 'religious'.

I guess I really don't understand the issue with 'religious' people being referred to as 'religious'.

When I was a kid growing up until I was 8 and my dad married my stepmum, I had no kind of 'religious' influence whatsoever, except for once or twice when my mum and I went to stay with my Aunty and my cousins for Christmas and we all went to the local church or parish at 'Taylors Arm' (place) for midnight mass; but other than that I wouldn't have really considered my Aunty religious, though she was a believer and remained so until she passed a few years back.

My stepmums family, well I certainly considered them religious.
The first thing my stepmum did after marrying my Dad was to take me to the local church and coerce me into 'giving my heart to the Lord'. They were big churchgoers, 'grace' before dinner, bible study, big family gatherings where they'd all sit around read scripture and pray.

To get to the point I saw them as being 'religious' from a starting point where I had never had any previous 'religious' people or 'religious' influence in my life.

So when I say 'religious' people, I'm talking about people (not just from one particular religion) with religious beliefs, but people who live every day according to the dictates of said religion, pray etc. as opposed to people who do not believe or practice any kind of religious activities at all.

I say 'religious' because that's exactly how I saw it from being a kid with no religious influence whatsoever to then later having it imposed upon me.
I don't know how my view of it is to be considered irrelevant or wrong, and why some believers take issue with the word 'religious'.

Sorry I didn't reply to your earlier comment a few days back.
I had a busy few days and didn't get time and many comments were added before I returned.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 26 October 2023 7:41:03 AM
[Cont.]
- And FYI, I WOULD also consider adherents to other religions as 'religious', in the same way I consider Christians 'religious'.

It's basically just a generic term (to me) to denote any person who adheres to or practices a 'religious' belief system.

Why is that considered by 'religious' people to be wrong?
I just don't understand, sorry.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 26 October 2023 7:47:42 AM
Some believe that followers of Christ Jesus should just surrender their lives to bullies and Dictators. I would like to believe that, Theywill not learn and continue to believe "Might Is Right."
So, there is a position where justice must be served. There is a difference between murder and its penalty.

Compare, Jesus, Stephen a Paul wept for their treatment by their Jewish brothers and asked they be forgiven.
1 JOHN 3: 11 For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 12 Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous. -15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

1john 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
Posted by Josephus, Thursday, 26 October 2023 8:35:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All