The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pope issues forceful environmental message > Comments

Pope issues forceful environmental message : Comments

By Mick Sullivan, published 24/12/2009

Pope Benedict XVI has earned a reputation as the 'green pope' because of his calls for stronger environmental protection.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Thanks for the insult, yabby. My point is simple. The Catholic Church issues doctrines as a package. You don't take some and leave some. If you're going to shun contraception because the church tells you to, then you should really follow the other teachings as well. I suspect that lack of access to contraception and lack of education are greater causes of unprotected sex than Catholic piety.

It is interesting that neither link you offered shows the Catholic Church "actively involved in politics, making sure that people are denied contraception, particularly the poor in the third world." They show representatives of the Catholic Church voicing their opinion on a political issue in a largely Catholic country - an opinion which, as one article implies, doesn't have much influence on the population (63% support the bill, despite 81% being Catholic). Perhaps you should credit people with an ability to think and make decisions. Not all people in third world countries are mindless drones.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 26 December 2009 11:08:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*My point is simple. The Catholic Church issues doctrines as a package. You don't take some and leave some.*

Oto, you seemingly need to do your homework. If all those Catholics
in the West, who ignore Vatican teachings on family planning, left
the church, there would be very few left on those church pews.
People do in fact take some and leave some, as the statistics on
things like abortion and contraception, have shown.

The backward teachings of the church on these issues, IMHO is a
major reason why those Western Catholic churches are empty.

If you check up on Phillipines politics, you will find that
the Catholic Church is a major force. Threatening third world
people, who are less educated and perhaps more gullible, to Vatican
spin, with no ticket to heaven etc, is their form of blackmail.

The very laws denying the poor modern contraception, are a legal
enforcement of Catholic dogma. Catholics control many hospitals,
so even after many kids, women are denied the snip.

There are good reasons why the Vatican has a representative at the
UN. Catholic lobbying against third world family planning, has
be unrelenting.

I do give the Catholic spin machine credit for being great lobbyists,
behind the scenes, influencing Govt decisions. They certainly don't
deny that intention and are extremely active in much of the third world.

Its just a pity that the poor people of this world have to pay such
a heavy price. At least those of us in the West can basically
tell the church to get stuffed. Not so for the poor in the third
world, as those URLs showed.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 26 December 2009 11:47:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Otokonoko, You have just given the classic example of the fork religious tongue & I don't think your dumb at all.

Yes they do speak out against one thing & enforce an ideology that condemns the very same thing. People can have sex without having babies, it's called the pill & imagine how many lives in third world countries it would have saved if the contraceptive was given to them, instead of creating charity to support their poor destitute & overpopulated lives. In all retrospect, the pope's vatican is an Italian institution that should have no bearing on any country. They have not been elected to govern & if it wasn't for the religious mental illness that dwindles amongst our politicians, they wouldn't have any bearing here.
Posted by Atheistno1, Sunday, 27 December 2009 2:42:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The usual predictable pap in most of these comments.

Pope Benedict and the Catholic Church, don't need me, a real atheist, to defend them, and frankly I have little interest in the topic, but they are automatic targets for most of the mindless commenters here, part of the usual range of targets including "Western civilisation", "capitalism", George W. Bush and AGW deniers.

Are you so seriously stupid, ill-informed and detached from reality that you think the Pope has any influence over global population growth?

Please explain what role or influence the Pope or the Catholic Church have in China, India, Africa, the former Soviet Union, Japan and the Middle East - and even South America, which is hardly a uniformly traditional Catholic culture. His influence and that of the Catholic Church in these places is negligible. And these places account for the great bulk of the world's population.

Birth rates in Islamic communities in the West, too, far exceed the birth rates of the local Christian/agnostic/atheist populations, let alone Catholic components per se.

You idiots - including the clowns who pretend to be atheists - reveal more about your own vacuous lives and the fact that you see everything through the lens of your new green religion than you reveal about the Pope or the Catholic Church. Pathetic.

If population growth is such a problem to you, I presume most of the commenters here are childless and/or about to delete themselves from the gene pool. Or are you hypocrites, too?

NB: I use the word "idiots" with reference to the Stanford-Binet intelligence scale. Look it up.
Posted by KenH, Sunday, 27 December 2009 2:54:23 PM
I believe there is much merit in an:

Enigma-Deep Forest meditation.

Mmmm ...

It is nice knowing that whilst we can all agree to disagree on some things, that at times of need we can Unite on matters of import and urgency, putting Unity and Global interest before division and self interest.

Our "Patron Saint" of *Love Making* was oft and fond to say:

"Christ Unites ... " and that if ones Love ever becomes overly divisive and antagonistic that one really ought give re-consideration to One's "Luv Concept."

Alas, I knowingly digress but however, I had a restless night last night and got up again for a kopi and a think and a bit of IndoVision.

NatGeo had a doco on the Gospel of Yudas Iskariot, and had some interesting bits about the Gnostics aswell. I hadn't seen it before. Must go for a surf and see if I can find a "translated" copy.

I wonder if they have an earlier copy than the one in Koptic downstairs?

Such a wealth of talent in the world .. it is a shame to keep so much locked up.
Posted by DreamOn, Sunday, 27 December 2009 4:29:05 PM
*The failure of WHO to be able to do anything during this period to which I referred -- seven to nine years -- was clearly the result of the very effective job done by the Vatican and its representatives, not only at WHO but at meetings of the United Nations and other organizations.*

Oops KenH, you are so busy calling people names, that you seemingly
have not done even a bit of homework. The above comes from an
interview with somebody who worked for WHO for years:

http://www.population-security.org/29-APP3.html

They indeed have had a global influence, by going right to the top.

Some background to inform you further, if you'd like to download
and read a Panorama trancript:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/3147672.stm

Third world women have paid a heavy price for all this. Shame
on the Vatican.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 27 December 2009 5:30:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy