The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pope issues forceful environmental message > Comments

Pope issues forceful environmental message : Comments

By Mick Sullivan, published 24/12/2009

Pope Benedict XVI has earned a reputation as the 'green pope' because of his calls for stronger environmental protection.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The Pope really does need to get a handle on the population component of environmentalism.

And the world desperately needs to him to do it.

A good place for him to start would be to watch David Attenborough’s excellent new program: ‘How many people can live on planet Earth?’, which is available in six parts on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JypyASU8Aik
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 25 December 2009 8:00:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig, do realize what you actually said?

The people need the Pope to do it but he should watch David Attenborough in order to find out how.

What a contradictory religious minded statement. It would be better if the public watched David Attenborough & learned from the rel deal, rather than listening to a fool with an imaginary man in his head, rambling on about angels & demons, which in other words is religious mental illness.

Your statement highlights the fact that the Church are a copy cat organization that influence people with other peoples commentary & scientific evidence & the rest is all in their head.
Posted by Atheistno1, Friday, 25 December 2009 1:31:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Atheistno1, atheistno2 here.

Yes of course, everyone who has the opportunity should watch Attenborough’s program. And the old Pope should be one of them.

Then of course he should take his message to the world, or the Catholic world, in line with Attenborough’s expression of concern about population issues.

The trouble is that hundreds of millions of people do listen to the Pope, and hundreds of millions won’t have the chance to get Attenborough’s message from a television set.

Simple really.

If the Pope was to come around to expressing concern about population growth and real sustainability, it would make a huge difference to our chances of achieving sustainability globally, before we are forced into it via enormous crash events.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 25 December 2009 1:54:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig, in that context I can understand your what you are getting at.

Yes, unfortunately he has a dwindling following but it would be better if the population actually got an education rather than listen to an idiot raving on about lies he concocted.
Posted by Atheistno1, Friday, 25 December 2009 2:12:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Pope and the Catholic Church don't tell people to go forth and populate. They do speak out against contraception and abortion, but they also speak out against promiscuity. To me, it seems that without having sex, people won't make babies and the world won't be overpopulated.

Blaming the Catholic Church for population issues is a bit odd. Essentially, it's saying that Catholics are devoted enough to their faith to follow the teachings on contraception, but not devoted enough to follow the teachings on self-control and sexual morality. I might add that, of the seven pregnant teenagers I worked with this year, none were Catholic. They just didn't use condoms because they didn't want to.
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 25 December 2009 11:12:13 PM
*To me, it seems that without having sex, people won't make babies and the world won't be overpopulated.*

Oto, it seems to me that on this topic, you are not the brightest
of little buttons :) I remind you that sex, particularly within
marriage, is natural, normal and part of human instinct. Crossing
your legs for Jesus has been a dismal failure, on a global scale.

There is a difference between the Catholic Church encouraging their
flock to do whatever and the Catholic Church, actively involved in
politics, making sure that people are denied contraception,
particularly the poor in the third world.

It is because of the Catholic Church in places like the Phillipines,
that some women pop em out like rabbits, denied family planning
because they are poor. The Vatican should be ashamed of itself.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/141973.php

http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=86068

Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 26 December 2009 5:38:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy