The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Balibo' cover-up: a film’s travesty of omissions > Comments

'Balibo' cover-up: a film’s travesty of omissions : Comments

By John Pilger, published 21/8/2009

The Australian government’s complicity in the journalists’ murder and East Timor bloodbath has been cut almost entirely from the film 'Balibo'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Trizzie wrote, "... this discussion is over!"

If you don't want to participate further, that's fine by me, but I think what you wrote warrants a response on my part.

Trizzie wrote, "There was no information deliberately left out ..."

John Pilger wrote, "... David Williamson, ... graphically depicted the chain of true events that began with the original radio intercepts by Australian intelligence and went all the way to prime minister Gough Whitlam, who believed East Timor should be 'integrated' into Indonesia. This is reduced in the film to a fleeting image of Whitlam and Suharto in a newspaper wrapped around fish and chips.

"Williamson's original script described the effect of the cover up on the families of the murdered journalists and their anger and frustration at being denied information and despair at Canberra's scandalous decision to have the journalists' ashes buried in Jakarta with ambassador Woolcott, the arch apologist, reading the oration. ... All this was cut."

Are you disputing that?

Of course, until I see the film for myself, I can't know with absolute certainty that what John Pilger has said is true, but in my own life's experience, when people make claims and nobody, not even those who disagree with them, dispute them, then those claims turn out to be true.

---

I note that Fractelle has used the fact that artistic license is often used in the making of movies which depict historical events to confuse the discussion.

I would suggest that an appropriate use of artistic license is to to compress complex events or combine characters in order to prevent the movie from becoming unacceptably long. Deliberately withholding information which is of vital for Australian audiences to properly understand those events as well as the history of their own country is not.

---

BTW, as we are approaching the 8th anniversary of 9/11 and because some, besides myself, see a need to discuss 9/11 in its own right as well as in relation to Balibo, I have requested that a forum on 9/11 be set up.

I am still awaiting a response.
Posted by daggett, Thursday, 27 August 2009 10:27:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Mr daggett,

One day you will grow up and not let mummy Pilger do all your thinking for you.........

You used the word "deliberately"..................

That is a rubbish, unqualified LIE!

trizzie
Posted by trizzie, Friday, 28 August 2009 6:17:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daggett

You took my comments out of context - 'Balibo' is a movie 'based' on historical events IT IS NOT A DOCUMENTARY.

'Balibo' is entertainment first, if anything was left out or altered it was to maintain a narrative within a given time-frame. Therefore, discussing this film as if it was a historical record is pointless.
Posted by Fractelle, Friday, 28 August 2009 6:24:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Notice that Pericles still refuses to view the evidence http://www.ae911truth.org/ and is reduced to attempted character assassination on myself as a method of diversion and attack.View the scientific evidence Pericles,then proceed to disprove it,if you can.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 28 August 2009 5:31:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course I looked at the web site, daggett.

But merely putting the word "truth" in the URL doesn't validate the content.

Nor does putting your name to a petition indicate that you understand the first thing about architecture, or collapsing buildings.

It is just the usual mish-mash of half-baked ideas, encouraged by people who get their rocks off on imagined conspiracies.

Have a great, conspiracy-laden weekend.

You know you just love 'em.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 28 August 2009 7:27:49 PM
Pericles another scientific reference for you see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tf25lx_3o Prof Niels Harrit and 8 other Danish researchers have found positive proof of nano-thermite present in the 911 rubble.This is a highly sophisticated expolsive that could not have been created by cave dwellers in Afghanistan.

This is not like the imprecise science of climate change,this is forensic science that is either right or wrong.

By the way ,Im not Daggett.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 28 August 2009 10:23:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy