The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Education: Choice? What choice? > Comments

Education: Choice? What choice? : Comments

By Jane Caro, published 31/7/2009

It is unconscionable to give public money to private schools.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Dear Pericles,

It is not reasonable to try to remove all inequities in society. Outside of it being impossible it would be wrong as people should be rewarded for their efforts. However, I think we should try not to pass the inequities on to the next generation. That means children should have equal access to quality education regardless of their parents assets. Not only would that give them a fair go, but it also would benefit society. A talented individual should be able to contribute fully regardless of their parents' economic status.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 5 August 2009 12:38:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, David.
Posted by Grim, Wednesday, 5 August 2009 12:54:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grim ............I am sure everyone would agree with you including all Teachers and Private Sch. Parents .
Can I ask if you have ever tried to negotiate a solution to a dilemma you have with a Gov. School .
You will be isolated and ignored by Teachers if you find you disagree with their opinion .

If you persist your next stop is the Headmaster , the HM will remind you that your childs education is their business not yours ,we are held responsible for your childs education not you .

Next you get to learn that Teachers are actually Education Professionals and then you will be at an acute disadvantage , guess what the next question will be .

Next is your local Pollie , he want's your vote , he's real nice .
Pollie writes a letter very carefully he must not ask a question lest an Edu. Beaurocrat simply sends back a preprinted flier declaring it's not EduDept policy to comment on School Policy . If Pollie gets it right and the B'crat (whose motto is "never make a decision in order to live forever") Turns it over to a meeting at the school with Edu B'crats , Teacher maybe 2 , Headmaster , Team Leader , Welfare/Care Leader etc and you , could be 9 : 1 , no one will speak , pregnant silence some may stare at you , you will feel obliged to say something as soon as they know they have done a number on you they will start on you , now your feeling negative , now they make on octopus in the middle is You and your "Greef" now they go negative from your problem they develop all kinds of crap that becomes the legs , eight of them , how do you feel now , you've just been snowed , 1/2 the Bcrats all frantically shuffling papers biro in hand then get up thanking you and leave , thats about it , don't worry they might say ................................you might say to yourself , well that was democratic ?
Posted by ShazBaz001, Wednesday, 5 August 2009 1:02:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Equality in education means children being given an equal chance to develop their potential. It's a pretty basic and simple premise, comparisons with Maseratis and harbour side mansions are superfluous. Actually the Maserati as far as being able to get you from A to B has no more practical advantage over a Holden Commodore, the latter perhaps being more comfortable actually (and less likely to breakdown!).

One being able to enjoy the fruits of their own labour is a different matter to benefiting from the labour of others, including your own parents. Lets all rejoice that Paris Hilton gets to live in luxury and party hard while contributing little more than crotch shots to civilisation because she did have the mind to be a heiress to the Hilton chain, none of us lazy sods bothered to do that. Many of these opportunistic discrepancies in life are unfortunate constants we all just have to bare, but then there are some we can seek to fix, at least within our own limited sphere of the world.

I wonder if anyone would have ever volunteered for military service had we all possessed the selfish 'what's best for me and my immediates' attitude the private school proponents regularly display. How would it make sense for your own personal situation to engage that risk? Why should anyone volunteer for the CFA and the like when the time could be spent pursuing your own success? I've always seen a lot of irony in the way private students are sent on those altruistic field trips so they can learn the importance of giving, yet at the same time taking full advantage of the opportunity to buy a lucrative place in our social order.
Posted by HarryC, Wednesday, 5 August 2009 2:25:33 PM
Dear Pericles,

I’m not sure what state you reside in but here in Victoria the reverse anecdotally would seem to apply. My quite well off brother in law who has a child with some learning difficulties was removed from a prestigious private school to our state school because he felt the attitudes, services and support available were superior. My sister in law also moved her two children from a catholic school to our state school to do their VCE. Both remarked on the lack of condemnation towards gays and single parent families at the new school. There are some leaves from the private sector book that can stay where they are.

Without facts and figures I can only offer up these personal examples so I will not claim this is the case everywhere although I suspect it is not unique.

Further I do accept that a different approach to bullying and misbehaviour is taken at schools were the option of showing the child the door is not as readily available.

But I am proud of the way my children have stepped up to help those with difficulties within the school, their acceptance of difference in others, the support they have given and received from teachers.
Posted by csteele, Wednesday, 5 August 2009 2:59:53 PM
Those whingers about 'inequity' between Public/Private schooling: You want 'equality' or lowest common denominator? Sounds much like the latter .... If it's not just hot air & skewed leftie idealogy you're spouting - look to improve the Public system.

At the beginning: Kids don't go from womb to classroom. There's at least 4 years of parental 'education'. While most exercise responsibility rearing kids with guidance, example and boundaries, some people should never been allowed to breed. Others are caring but clueless.

Make payment of "Baby Bonus" conditional on one parent completing a Parenting Course (or refresher) with additional incentive if both do so. This may improve the standard of 'raw product' as it enters the education system.

From entry through exit - Strict enforcement of codes of conduct which form part of the curriculum. Early vigorous intervention where children display behavioural/learning problems.

Early Education "Back to Basics" approach - emphasis on reading, writing & math. Regular external monitoring to ensure competencies are reached and remedial or repeat for strugglers. Enough moving them through the system regardless of ability to cope with next level.

Restore Headmaster and Staff authority! Codes of conduct must include consequences for different misbehaviours. GENUINE ZERO TOLERANCE for violence against staff, unprovoked attacks on peers and persistant bullying. Resurrect corporal punishment. Threat is often enough. Helped keep kids of previous generations under control. Find other 'disincentives' recalcitrants will definately find unpleasant - opposed to couple days suspension (Cool! says recipient as he/she hangs around Shopping Centres looking for theft/vandalism opportunities)

OK - let's look at staff. Are they competent? (More so now they're not struggling with crowd control!) Are students achieving expected learning outcomes? Ensure that staff are up to speed and provide ongoing monitoring, coaching and professional development.

Now the Public School is FUNCTIONAL students will be able to achieve more academically and personally, ultimately making successful transitions to workplaces, universities and wider community involvement.

Which is how the Private System largely operates .....

Who among the whiney brigade & posturers want to do something about RAISING the standard instead of dragging it down further?
Posted by divine_msn, Wednesday, 5 August 2009 5:38:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy