The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Israel and Gaza - a testament to terrible failure > Comments

Israel and Gaza - a testament to terrible failure : Comments

By Richard Hil, published 6/1/2009

Bombing Gaza is a testament to international policy failure under which the rights of Palestinians have been systematically trampled.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Jack from Bicton,
The equitable nature of your observation is obvious and if possible, I would agree.
The one exception would be item 3
I would suggest that an orderly transfer of the developments on the occupied territories to the Palestinian would go a long way to providing restitution for the civilian property damaged during assorted "Israeli incursions" and subsequent imposed 3rd world conditions.

Now to the reality, Israel was born of a flawed premise by zealotic forces and western guilt.

Part of Israel's internal issues is it's political in ability to hold sway over its more extreme elements. Namely the settlers and the religious/racist assumptions they hold. My daughter who spent five years in Israel came home with tales of the day to day excesses (documented proofs of these excesses are available from other reputable sources.) that underpins Steven’s central plank of Israel as a JEWISH state.

The treatment of Israeli Arabs is by any standards victimization and if your solution was forced that significant minority of “orthodox (fundamentalist Jews) would simply turn on the Arabs for a repeat performance 1945-9. Even though there is a solid debate by a large minority of Israelis who believe in a secular state there is not enough political will to enforce either a return to their mandated borders or an orderly repatriation. Under those circumstances it would be a brave Arab who tried to return or claim legal property. Even the US embassy is alleged to be on stolen ground.

A more likely scenario if enforced is that the extremist forces would take control and nuclear action would be a real possibility. Such is the bloody minded mind set amongst the Israeli extremists.

I believe that reparation should be paid to all those Arabs that can show legitimate ownership of property and land regardless of the generation. (The legal precedent is clear … title can only legally pass when the title is clear). This is similar to decedents of Jewish WW2 victims reclaiming stolen assets
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 8 January 2009 5:57:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From Bushbred, part quoting John Falsoner on early Israeli Palestinian problems per WEST Australian, January 6, '009.

Quoting history, Falconer is right that a strong UN at the time gave the only answer -

that the Palestine area must be fairly partitioned between the Jews and Arabs, and left under International Control.

From Falconer - but the was in the detail and the Arab position largely brushed aside.

Thus with American help plus US dollars the tiny state of modern Israel was born.

From Falconer - if the UN had insisted that the already battling Arab state had been given even part similar help as the Israelies, things would have surely turned out better between them.

From Falconer - why the UN should now take most of the blame possibly, is that the US in its global position may have found it hard to be an honest broker.

As a probable message carrier, one finds it hard to forget about the parents of the present Israelies went through back in the days of the horrific Nazi death camps.

Historically, however, what has caused me to remain defiant has been the foolishness of the Western world in letting the Israelies go militarialist atomic.

Admiration does go to Henry Kissinger who as a Jew and a high ranking political scientist, as well as Minister of State under Richard Nixon gave warning that if Israel was allowed to go Nuko, the balance of power that it would hold over the Middle East would not only cause untold hatred from Islamics, but possibly bring on a WW3.

Finally, we need so much today to be again reminded how we have let the UN become pretty well a laughing stock, failing to remind ourselves that both the United Nations and the former League of Nations arose from late Seventeen Century Kantian philosophy from which grew the belief in a future Federation of Democratic Nations to Preserve Peace.

Unfortunately while the League crumbled under British single-power dominance, pretty well the same has happened with Pax Americana always wanting Condoleeza Rice to speak for the UN
Posted by bushbred, Saturday, 10 January 2009 5:23:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Those people that DO call themselves palestinian, like that twat of a wife of the Jordanian king, are subscribing to a made-up, British ideal.

Those morons in hamas and other loony factions constantly forget that whenever Israel gets attacked,the response is usually in spades to the detriment of the attackers civilian population. This is because hamas members are pitiful, primitive thinking, cowardly individuals...every single one.

Simple solution, hamas. Don't attack Israel. You will get f#@&ed over mightily! Innocent people will suffer. Shame on those stupid "palestinians" for letting hamas run wild. Shame on their sympathisers. The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing expecting a different result. HAMAS is full of insane people a.k.a. oxygen thieves. So no surprises there...

HAMAS and all the epsilon sub-moron factions are an embarrassment to all intelligent people everywhere and appeal to those only suitable for use as target practice.

Perhaps they require further subjugation?
Posted by tRAKKA, Monday, 12 January 2009 11:44:24 AM
"Hamas is not concerned with the welfare of Palestinians. Hamas' goal is to kill Jews. In fact Hamas is more explicit about its genocidal intentions towards Jews than Hitler was in Mein Kampf."

stevenlmeyer,

A simple observation I would make is that those who talk the loudest are generally the ones you have to worry about least. To me, while Hamas undoubtedly would like Israel to relocate (preferably into the Mediterranean), they are no more than militant forward scouts, probing away at Israel's resolve looking for openings and weaknesses. They do not (yet) have the firepower to seriously worry Israel.

If I was an Israeli I think I'd be more worried about those parts of the Middle East that are not outwardly telegraphing their intentions. I’m sure Israel knows this and are making an example of the Gazans (not unlike Nazis did to resistance fighters and their supporters in WWII) as a statement to protect their borders. Unfortunately, the ordinary Gazans are only moderately guilty bystanders in the tragedy. And, yes, Hamas are not concerned for the welfare of Gazans unless they can be drafted to the cause of militant Islam.

The bottom line is that Israel has to be very careful that it does not overdo it – if they do they will lose the respect of the international community as well as to embolden the Islamic extremists to greater acts of militancy. But, then again, the situation is so bad over there that it might not matter what anyone does now.
Posted by RobP, Sunday, 18 January 2009 2:39:33 PM
RobP wrote:

"…those who talk the loudest are generally the ones you have to worry about least."

Not always true. Hitler may not have been as explicit about his intentions towards Jews as is Hamas but he certainly spoke loudly.

"…while Hamas undoubtedly would like Israel to relocate…"

As their charter makes clear Hamas would like to exterminate Jews. That makes the location of Israel moot.

"…But, then again, the situation is so bad over there that it might not matter what anyone does now."

It may well be that nuclear-armed Israel has only two choices. It can die quietly. Or it can go down guns blazing taking as many of its enemies as possible with it along with over a third of the world's oil pumping capacity.

Which option do you think they'd choose?

If you thought petrol prices were high in 2008 see what happens after a nuclear war in the Middle-East.

On the other hand deterrence sometimes does work. Hizbullah supposedly won in 2006. That's what they and all their friends have been saying.

By all accounts Hizbullah now has more and better missiles than it had then, It could probably have done considerable damage to Tel Aviv had it loosed its arsenal on Israel.

But Hizbullah is the dog that did not bark in this conflict. No fusillade of rockets rained down on Israel from the north. When a few old katyushas did land on Israel from Lebanon both Hizbullah and the Lebanese Government fell over themselves to assure Israel "it wasn't them what done it."

Then again I doubt the Lebanese people would have thanked Hizbullah for landing them another war with Israel.

My guess is that Hamas will declare victory in this conflict no matter what happens. But, like Hizbullah, it will be careful not to provoke Israel too much in future.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 18 January 2009 3:47:58 PM
Poor HAMAS they are so hard done by. The Isrealies are giving them a pounding. pity about the school & the UN though. Hmmm... then again, maybe we should have a look at what really happened at the UN Depot.

Here is the clip.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zmXXUOs27lI&feature=related

At least they waited untill they were out of the compound.

Innocent women & children? Hmmm... Another clip.

ttp://au.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ydoKV86So

I don't understand why they don't show this on TV for everyone to see.
instead of only what the Isrealies do.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 18 January 2009 5:53:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy