The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Scrutinising the religious and political right > Comments

Scrutinising the religious and political right : Comments

By Alan Matheson, published 7/11/2008

Book burnings and banning extremist groups and individuals rarely solves the problems of racism, anti-Semitism or Islamophobia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Yes, Horus, that is why America is called the New Rome, as even as Tacitus worriedly implied, a case of Rome bringing freedom to the cruel barbarians over the Alps.

As even as the more scientific Greeks talked about before the Romans.

And much late as the father of Laizess-faire, Adam Smith warned -

Always remember that with progress goes greed, thus it is more sensible and kinder to separate the Greed from the Need.

Cheers, BB, Buntine, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 10 November 2008 12:01:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Book burnings and banning extremist groups and individuals rarely solves the problems of racism, anti-Semitism or Islamophobia.”

Indeed. We should follow the example set by the church. Burn the extremists and ban the books.
Posted by bennie, Monday, 10 November 2008 12:13:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whilst I do not concur with yr conclusions, at least u r aware that there r terrible things that r still happening in the wrld *KactuZ*

(Pls note in adv that I am out of my field here with the TXT's and have but a passing familiarity with them, however, neither am I entirely clueless)

The Cow/Al Baqarah: [2.136]
" ... Say: We believe in Allah and in that which has been revealed to us, and in that which was revealed to Ibrahim(Father Abraham) and Ismail and Ishaq and Yaqoub and the tribes, and in that which was given to Musa (Moses) and Isa (Jeshua/Yesus/Jesus), and in that which was given to the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit. ... "

[2.253]
" ... We have made some of these apostles to excel the others among them are they to whom Allah spoke, and some of them He exalted by many degrees of rank; and We gave clear miracles to Isa son of Marium, and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. And if Allah had pleased, those after them would not have fought one with another after clear arguments had come to them, but they disagreed; so there were some of them who believed and others who denied; and if Allah had pleased they would not have fought one with another, but Allah brings about what He intends. ... "

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 12: 1-17 & Deuteronomy 5: 6-21)
Thou shall not kill

Quran (5:32)
If anyone has killed one person it is as if he had killed the whole of Humankind.

JC:
" ... A new commandment, I give unto U(all), that U Luv one another, as I do Luv U ... "

ArchAngel Gabrielle -> Muhammad (May peace be his portion)
" ... and Isa (Jeshua/Yesus/Jesus), and in that which was given to the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit. ... "
Posted by DreamOn, Monday, 10 November 2008 2:14:00 PM
The Talmud says, among other things, that Gentiles are lesser people than Jews and that it's OK to cheat them and not a mortal sin to kill them. You may go to jail (if you are caught) but you won't have to go to Hell. The only people equivalent to Jews are other Jews.

Should all non-Jews feel outraged or threatened by this provocative holy text and automatically label all Jews as potential extremists too, or is that something reserved only for Muslims?

Christianity has a long history of violent oppression of other religious groups too, particularly as a result of Papal decree.

The body count over the last couple of millennia has been astronomical and shows no sign of stopping.

Extremism is more a factor of historical context than religious determination and is common to all religious teachings.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 12:50:42 AM
ASymeonakis,

I have not gone through the whole of your list but this one caught my eye:

Pope, Muslim Leaders Condemn Religious Violence
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=692-jqcjZ-o&feature=channel

On the surface it appears to “condemn religious violence” but research a little deeper and we find this from the same gathering:

“’Speaking for the Muslim delegation, Seyyed Hossein Nasr of Iran, a professor of Islamic studies at George Washington University in Washington, said earlier that both Christians and Muslims "believe in religious freedom."
HOWEVER , he said: "We Muslims do not allow an aggressive proselytising in our midst that would destroy our faith in the name of freedom, any more than would Christians if they were in our situation.’"
http://news.theage.com.au/world/pope-stresses-religious-freedom-at-forum-20081106-5jfl.html

Not all is what it seems from first glance. It’s less a new dawn than business as usual for Bahia’s, Zorastrians & Christians and any apostates who wish to join them!
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 5:40:25 AM
ASym, Can't people read and understand simple words? I said, again, that I want to see Muslim condemning the hate and violence in the Quran and hadith. Yes, Muslims condemn terror, and it doesnt stop and Muslims cant figure out why.

Maybe terror is the symptom, not the disease. Take that idea and run with it. Maybe it is kind of pointless to condemn Islamic terror when Mohammad said "I am made victorious with terror". Maybe Muslims are not sincere about condemning terror (wink) because they believe some terror (by Mohammad) good terror.

I see your “Condemn Terror” list includes websites linked to the Muslim Brotherhood. Do you know who the ihkwan were and what they did in 1802 in Karbala and 1924 at Taef? Do you understand the relationship of the brotherhood to the Wahhabi and the Ikhwan? Why should I believe any “condemnation” from groups dedicated to murder and conquest in the name of Islam? Words are cheap.

Hey Bushbasher, Again I repeat that a simple condemnation is pointless unless one looks at the source of the problem. (Example: Condemn smoking is pointless without stopping smoking -Stupid but true analogy).

You are saying that Islamic texts and history should not be taken "as a guide to current islamic beliefs." Do you know how silly that sounds? I bet I’ve seen the words "You must then follow my Sunnah and that of the RightlyGuided Caliphs" a thousand times on Muslim websites. Are you going to be the one to tell them it is all BS?
Once again, while Muslims aren't homogeneous group, they do share fundamental beliefs and these teach hate and violence and require a PBUH after the name ofa man that did vile deeds.

Dreamon, so what you are saying (2.253) is that Allah says the fighting and disunity proves Christans/Jews wrong. Hahaha. Muslims never fight each other, do they? Welcome to our world.

Also, when you quote 5:32 please quote whole verse. Is the verse about Muslims? For Muslims? What about the exception clause? Remember I know the Quran. This is distorted, dishonest use.

Kactuz
Posted by kactuz, Tuesday, 11 November 2008 6:59:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy