The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Obama and the Palestinian State > Comments

Obama and the Palestinian State : Comments

By David Singer, published 16/6/2008

Barack Obama treads the only path possible on the Palestinian state.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
So here we have another Israeli propagandist distorting the situation to suit his and Israel's ends.

He is a member of 'an organisation calling for sovereignty of the West Bank and Gaza to be allocated between Israel and Jordan as the two successor States to the Mandate for Palestine.'

And here he is completely at odds with realities and utterly ignoring the illegal Israeli occupations of land deemed Palestinian/Jordanian under the UN mandate which also created Israel.

Ask this bloke if he thinks the Palestinians should be denied the usual refugee right of return and he'd absolutely argue the negative.

Ask this bloke if he thinks all Palestinian land stolen by Israeli occupation and illegally settled, according to all requirements normally applied(Geneva Conventions and UN resolutions), and he'll also argue the negative case.

If this bloke expects to be taken seriously he'd champion the return on not only refugees but also, as an absolute minimum, the return of all lands stolen and settled as a result of Israeli wars of undeguised conquest.

He won't compromise on either. Is it no wonder peace isn't found in the mid east. Israel propaganda and it's apologists disimformation spreading are the biggest stumbling blocks.

Obama would gain credence if he applied the words of Lincoln and Washington.

Abraham Lincoln:
'… Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in our bosoms. Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where. Destroy this spirit, and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.'

'Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves, and, under a just God, can not long retain it.

Washington
'… Nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations and passionate attachments for others should be excluded, and that in place of them just and amicable feelings toward all should be cultivated. The nation which indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in some degree a slave.'
Posted by keith, Monday, 16 June 2008 10:44:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is unsolvable. It is already 60 years old.

I think that I can remember that the Menzies government was talking of offering a part of northern Australia to the Jews to set up a state of Israel within the Commonwealth of Australia. Can anybody enlighten us on this matter?
Posted by healthwatcher, Monday, 16 June 2008 12:07:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd have to disagree keith. I can fully understand the Israelis rejecting the refugee return. The country would very quickly cease to exist, once an arab majority was there.

Sure, it's not ideal and it's unfair. But you're asking the Israelis to give up their country.

I reject much of the propaganda that comes from the likes of Lapkin, et al. I reject the notion that Israel is guiltless, and I think they tend to overreact, however the Palestinians are not the innocents you describe, and Hamas's charter is indeed as hostile as the article portrays.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 16 June 2008 12:21:13 PM
What kind of Jews will Israel allow? WHy doesn't Mr Singer address this issue? How is a Jew defined? And why should a Jew from a foreign country be allowed almost instant citizenship whilst a Christian family whose ancestors have lived in that area for centuries until 1948 or thereafter be denied a right to return to their property?

Mr Singer's logic seems to be based on the idea that Arab peoples are all one people, and that Jews are all one people. Perhaps he should visit the region before making such nonsensical claims.
Posted by BOZO_DAGWOOD, Monday, 16 June 2008 1:10:08 PM
Look Right

You like the author didn't address the land stealing. Until you do ... well you have no credibility.
Posted by keith, Monday, 16 June 2008 5:33:14 PM
For crying out loud, keith, you can't make highhanded comments like that on such a complex issue. Frankly, I don't think anyone has answers on the 'land stealing.' Even if they did, it wouldn't solve the problems that exist today.

There are arguments from both sides and none of them are simple. Only those with no 'credibility' pretend they are.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 16 June 2008 6:01:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy