The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Power and violence in the home > Comments

Power and violence in the home : Comments

By Roger Smith, published 2/5/2008

Domestic violence policy is overwhelmingly dominated by the idea that it is something that men do to women.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Unbelievable.

What are the DV stats on the numbers of men and women hospitalised per year ? As many men as women ? More men than women ? Yeah, right.

Are you people fair dinkum ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 16 May 2008 7:51:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i've just started a website (which is still in it's early stages) with the intention of supporting women & their children who are victim's of domestic violence. however after reading this article, i am seriously thinking of re-wording it to support male victims and their children as well. if anyone can help or has any suggestions, feel free to check out my website and write to me with your stories.
this applies to you girls as well, i need testimonials for my website
and won't advertise the site until i've established a p.o.box and a/c
etc; i would be honoured for you to share your stories with me.
tina xo
crystalangels.org
Posted by tina thomsen, Friday, 16 May 2008 8:34:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Tina, I tried to contact you by email to offer some help but your email address is not a valid one.
How can I contact you?
Posted by Celivia, Saturday, 17 May 2008 2:44:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure what happened but my web address is www.crystalangels.org
my email address is; info@crystalangels.org
let me know if this doesn't work

thanks for your reply
tina xo
Posted by tina thomsen, Saturday, 17 May 2008 6:16:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Tina, I successfully sent the email this time.

I think that one of your email links on your website doesn't work- the other ones do, I just checked them.

The one that doesn't work is the one under the "How to Help" heading. which is the one that I previously used and an error window came up.
Posted by Celivia, Saturday, 17 May 2008 6:51:26 PM
Joe, has anybody claimed that more men are hospitalised than women? Not that I've noticed - looks like you are using a strawman argument. What is being said is that ignoring male victims (and female victims where their abuser is also female) is not only wrong for those abused it also adds to the overall problem.

A smaller number does not mean none.

Tina, thats encouraging. We need to try and take the gender point scoring out of this and try and reduce violence not just violence against some. It's not just this article, have you looked at the stats on substantiated child abuse and neglect? Try The Abused Child Trust as a starter http://www.abusedchildtrust.com.au/facts.htm and look at who perpetrates abuse. It's not about gender, in the case of child abuse it seems to be about the time kids are in peoples care and the likelyhood that the carers are under stress.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 17 May 2008 9:24:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All