The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It is time Anzac Day was replaced > Comments

It is time Anzac Day was replaced : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 24/4/2008

Anzac day is a day of delusion: we have created a day of celebration of nationhood when we need a day of recognition that war is nothing but the ultimate human failure.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
Tammy-Jo,

I usually agree pretty wholeheartedly with your posts but in this particular issue we find ourselves in opposing camps. I understand what you are saying - that this was the first time Australia as a nation entered in the world arena and that we should celebrate the fact that they acquitted themselves in a way which brought them to the worlds attention and earned them a certain reputation.

But I find the quote that you included a piece of the same kind of jingoism which lured the poor, unprepared kids into the whole mess in the first place - from all sides. We refer to them as "men" and "soldiers" when in reality they were, in the main, teenagers. Country kids or street urchins dazzled by words such as these.

As to them being "fearless" - twaddle! Show me anyone who is fearless going into battle and I'll show you either a sociopath or the village idiot. They kakked their daks and cried for their mothers and railed at uncaring governments just as kids going into battle do to-day.(I lived in South Africa where 18years old went straight from Year 12 to the front lines). The betrayal is that the poor little buggers are forever portrayed by the chessplayers like the one who wrote these words as Knights when in reality they were pawns.

Back in the day we elected as our leaders the person who was strongest, toughest and protected the clan well. I would love to see Bush et. al. getting down and dirty in a knock down drag 'em out fight with whoever their opponent is these days to decide issues. Instead of breeding up tens of thousands of ignorant young kids and using the body-count to decide who the victors are.
Posted by Romany, Thursday, 24 April 2008 3:05:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is true that Gallipoli contributed greatly to the birth of Australian national identity. One can question whether national identity is a good thing. National identity serves to sanction the killing of a person with a different national identity. Pride in one's family is pride due to circumstances we have little or no control over. National identity is usually similar.

May nations become merely convenient administrative units. Unit K2 will be unlikely to go to war with Unit Z32 over area 21R2.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 24 April 2008 3:11:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ginx

“So, Mac-I haven't read your post in full.”

You definitely should next time Ginx before you jump in so strongly. Mac was criticizing the British Government of the day not the individual British soldier.

sneekeepete

“People use it as a vehicle to reflect on just what the Author wants - they reflect on wars futility - they reflect on the waste and the folly of following allies aimlessly into wars we have no real part in - bugger me if Iraq does not spring to mind.”

On the contrary, I don’t think most Australians do this at all. The whole event seems to bring on a mass hypnosis. The marches, the uniforms, medals, flags and general military fanfare all seem to obliterate any questions of why we were involved in Gallipoli in the first place, or why we still fail to explore alternative options for resolving conflict or containing rogue states. The very fact of our involvement in Iraq is to me just more evidence of the lack of any true reflection on the meaning of Gallipoli.

I had a young student ask me yesterday, Why were we at Gallipoli anyway? I didn’t have an answer, but I did tell him to keep asking the question. Perhaps Paul L or Tammy-Jo can give me an answer for the next time I’m asked this.
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 24 April 2008 4:22:56 PM
Dear Bronwyn,

Churchill was aware of the strains on Russia by the German attack and internal dissent. It was only possible to supply Russia by the ocean route through the Arctic Sea, If passage could be opened to the Black Sea it would be possible to send quantities of war material to Russia. Had the operation on Gallipoli succeeded and a passage to the Black Sea established Russia could have continued in the war, and there might not have been a Russian Revolution.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 24 April 2008 4:36:14 PM
Most of these comments are utter rubbish!

Anzac Day is not a day to remember the politics behind the wars - it is a day to remember the young men and women who innocently fought for their country.

These people really had no idea about why there was a war...all they knew was that if they didnt fight their future democratic and free way of life would be threatened - thats all.

Anzac Day is to remember these Australians who sacraficed their lives for the country they loved...nothing else.

To trivialise or fault their reasons for fighting in a war they didnt create is nothing short of giving the veterans the finger.

Nobody is glorifying war...just remembering whole generations of young men and women who died for what they believed was a great country.

Leave it alone.
Posted by izzo, Thursday, 24 April 2008 4:37:33 PM
Well said IZZO

I myself being ex army but not going overseas for active service do to requirements here in australia.

I am medically discharged and i am treated like garbage by our government and anzac day well i have to greatest admiration and support for those who stood up no matter where they went to fight for our future and democracy.

It is our defence that stands between you and the enemy unless some of you want to do it. I find that many here would bow and do as they are told just by political parties.

So keep your hands off Anzac day.

If you want to take away a day try your birthday,aniversary.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent
Will be stand again at the next federal election, fighting for the people and not dictatorship rule from the parties.

Lest we forget
Posted by tapp, Thursday, 24 April 2008 5:27:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All