The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It is time Anzac Day was replaced > Comments

It is time Anzac Day was replaced : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 24/4/2008

Anzac day is a day of delusion: we have created a day of celebration of nationhood when we need a day of recognition that war is nothing but the ultimate human failure.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All
Paul L,

Leave your offensive personal remarks aside and try to argue logically. The British did abandon us in WW2 and that strategic genius Churchill tried to divert returning Australian troops to Burma. Australia's security was very low in his priorities. If you prefer to celebrate every useless slaughter as a national triumph that's your business.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 24 April 2008 11:40:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have little time today to get into this-but how I want to!

So, Mac-I haven't read your post in full.

When you make these comments-SPECIFY!!

'The British' did NOT abandon Australian troops.

It disgusts me to hear this.

I want a response from you:- Do you truly believe that a soldier; ANY soldier would calculatingly leave his comrade to be injured or die?

This burned my father, and once reduced him to tears.
How dare you even hint that any trooper could possibly do this deliberately?

If you want to assert that view;-and I have heard it before;-direct your nasty comment at those who were at the top.

As I said-SPECIFY. You insult ALL British military personnel with such comments, and they DO NOT deserve it!

I would also make the observation that OLO moves pretty fast with new threads and articles. It surprises me that there are so many threads allowed that are the same!
Posted by Ginx, Thursday, 24 April 2008 12:53:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just find it hypocitical how the government love to have all this fanfare and chest beating while swindling the war veterans out of money.

I'd rather all the 'symbolism' to be replaced by practical application of funds to these soldiers and their health problems.

Besides, nobody cares about anything except Gallipoli. The focus really needs to be taken off this one fight.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Thursday, 24 April 2008 1:50:47 PM
No...lets keep Anzac Day.
It suits the devil and his dark powers to have us wandering with nothing to fix on but despair, hopelessness and addiction.
Ecclesiastes says theres a time for war and a time for peace.
I think the young men died for little if we forget their efforts.
Posted by Gibo, Thursday, 24 April 2008 2:25:33 PM
There are two issues evident here. One is the futility of war and the other is the relevance of ANZAC Day. The former is an issue that can be debated ad nauseum. Its the latter I wish to address.

The ANZACS were the birth of this nations identity and my goodness, what a proud and unique identity they forged under unimaginable conditions. I am quite sure Mr Holden , under conditions you have very likely never experienced.

It is the ANZAC Spirit we are honoring on ANZAC Day. I quote segments of a beautifully written essay on this very topic that encapsulates the actual meaning of ANZAC Day.

“These bold, laughing soldiers were a new, unknown factor of a very old Empire. 'They seemed to be of one race, for all of them had something the same bearing, and something the same look of humorous, swift decision'. But if the British thought they 'took a bit of getting used to', the enemy never got used to them. These 'colonials' fought as they lived - bravely, openly, independently, and without fear. They proved that their young countries could produce men equal to any in the world, perhaps the greatest fighting force this world has known - the ANZACs.

The Spirit of ANZAC was kindled. It flared with a previously unknown, almost superhuman strength. There was a determination, a zest, a drive which swept up from the beaches on Gallipoli Peninsula as the ANZACs thrust forward with their torch of freedom. As they fell, they threw those following the torch so their quest would maintain its momentum. That Torch of Freedom has continually been thrown from falling hands, has kindled in the catchers' souls a zeal and desire for both our individual liberty and our countries' liberty. That desire has been handed down with the memory and burns as brightly as the flame which first kindled it. (Retired Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Burke)

And that Mr Holden, it what it is all about.
Posted by TammyJo, Thursday, 24 April 2008 2:38:15 PM
"The British did abandon us in WW2 and that strategic genius Churchill tried to divert returning Australian troops to Burma."

Worse, the only reason Churchill diverted the troops was because he was afraid the war would end without any of the troops under his command seeing combat. Gallipoli was meant to be a neat little addition to his curriculum vitae.
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 24 April 2008 2:39:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy