The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bra Boys: 'When Being A Man Is All You’ve Got?'* > Comments

Bra Boys: 'When Being A Man Is All You’ve Got?'* : Comments

By Darlene Taylor, published 17/1/2008

Sunny Abbertons's film, 'The Bra Boys', illustrates how important class still is in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All

Some of the fury , expressed by the male member of the forum ,is because you plain got the wrong end of this issue .
You see the pack , tribalism mind set as wrong because you are a woman
for a man it is the essential nature of being a man ,
we are dog brothers , we are pack animals .
This is a deep reality , anyone who try to change this is trying to destroy what being a man is all about
it is of course a man's road to find his own center , but the group pack , band , tribe ,clan , club is the male formative time
the essential nature of being a man are learned , respect and testing oneself above all , dealing with others in a hierarchy also .
once in a clan a man is never truly alone for the rest of his life
It is the school of life ,an alternate family
young female groups are in comparison a seething cauldron of viciousness a mad free for all where people are crushed just for fun practice ,
any thugs would recoil at such savagery
team sport is a male substitute for clan fighting ,
even women can experience its benefit

The feminine discourse is usually ignorant of basic male realities , the males are seen as wrong and perverse to brush aside the advice of women to be more like them .

Posted by randwick, Thursday, 24 January 2008 8:15:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting points, Randwick.

Surely, whether men are tribal or individualistic in nature depends
on the culture and time. For example, men in Western capitalistic countries are often viewed as being individuals above all: out for themselves in business etc

As I have said before, I do think women in groups can be vicious, particularly in a psychological way.

Tribes, groups, gangs whatever can be positive (absolutely think that men have an important role in teaching boys how to be men - this can be done in sporting groups or other types of groups). However, I just feel that it's important to recognise that such groups can have be extremely negative in the way they approach outsiders and people who don't fit in (e.g. gay men).

It's correct that I can't speak for men because I'm not one, so I think it's important that men discuss their own issues.

As for one person who is leaving comments opposed to my article, the term sockpuppet comes to mind. Hello to that person.
Posted by Darlene_Taylor, Thursday, 24 January 2008 9:16:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Kellyanne", it is the height of online rudeness to follow someone to another site and abuse them under a different name.

It's not always all about you, you know.
Posted by Anna Winter, Thursday, 24 January 2008 9:33:43 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Darlene
Your article says very little that is positive about the Bra boys, and casts them as being somehow racist and also sexist. But what was portrayed as race riots in the press was mostly about trying to protect women on the beach and also in the car parks from being hassled by certain other people.

So far as males rejecting homosexual men, there are homosexual men throughout sports, business and government, and they quite accepted. I think the objection is when a homosexual tries to convince a heterosexual to become homosexual. That’s when the conflict starts.

So far as tribalism or prejudice is concerned, I would think the most prejudice in the country is now entered around feminism, and its continuous vilification of the male gender. I have given you a number of organisations that are taxpayer funded, but for males to join those organisations or be a part of those organisations is almost impossible, and that is based totally on whether or not they put an “M” or an “F” beside their name on an application form.

That is the other side of the story.
Posted by HRS, Thursday, 24 January 2008 2:19:25 PM
Randwick

‘You see the pack , tribalism mind set as wrong because you are a woman
for a man it is the essential nature of being a man ,
we are dog brothers , we are pack animals .’

This ‘essential nature’ theory does not explain why so many men are not interested in being part of a tribe or pack. It also contradicts the 90s Biddulph/Bly/Gray movement that intimidated a generation of women into staying well away from their men’s sheds for fear of desecrating the ‘essential nature’ of male isolationism.

True, human beings are herd animals, but this applies as much to women as to men. The difference is that men are subliminally conditioned to be ‘insiders’ within their society, whereas women are conditioned to be ‘outsiders’. (To give a few examples: God is a man; the species is routinely referred to as ‘man’ or ‘mankind’; the generic pronoun is ‘he’ or ‘his’; wedding ceremonies pronounce couples ‘man and wife’; nations are ‘Founded’ by ‘Fathers’; the focus of history curricula is almost exclusively on men … and on it goes.)

The attraction of packs/tribes to some men lies in the opportunity to assert their sense of dominant entitlement – over weaker (or poorer) men, women, other ethnic or racial groups, and gays, to name a few. Some women are attracted to packs/tribes for similar reasons, except that their dominance behaviour is often turned inward, onto other women, and rarely ever targets men or ethnic, racial or gay groups (except perhaps vicariously through the actions of a significant male).

I don’t think Darlene or most of the women here see the pack/tribalism mindset as wrong. It’s the dark, destructive (particularly misogynist, racist, homophobic and/or megalomaniac) side of this mindset that earns the contempt of many women and men.
Posted by SJF, Thursday, 24 January 2008 5:56:06 PM

Men bund , band , pack , team is an expression of their deepest need , particularly teenagers ,
I do not believe for one second that a half sane young man would not be in a like minded group rather that on his own given the choice
Old French proverb " a man alone is in bad company "
To find a like minded group can be a major hassle ,
Groups tend to be negative towards gay for the same reason sex was suppressed in nuns convents , it is a very powerful personal force ,
destructive of rules
the whole point of the group is to decrease one's ego to increase the group strength , someone caught up in his own world , by definition doesn't belong .
There is a view that political correctness is right , while a prety good case can be made that it elevate to equality of values , people and practices which are very objectionable , further , while pretty much everyone non.white.straight.male can claim some specificity to be respected or supported ,it has become abundantly clear that the white straight male can do no right , must be reproached for any of his sins
and for being generally beastly ,a pure product of Victorian morality

Well it feel very good to be a white straight male .
Anyone who have an issue with them will be listened
then given the interest their position deserve .

Posted by randwick, Thursday, 24 January 2008 6:49:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11