The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bra Boys: 'When Being A Man Is All You’ve Got?'* > Comments

Bra Boys: 'When Being A Man Is All You’ve Got?'* : Comments

By Darlene Taylor, published 17/1/2008

Sunny Abbertons's film, 'The Bra Boys', illustrates how important class still is in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

Back to the subject ,

" When being a man is all you've got "

sincerely ,
I've always though it's all you really need and the greatest thing in the world
it is hard work to get there too, like said Dylan

" How many roads must a man walk before you can call it a man ? "

Posted by randwick, Monday, 28 January 2008 7:03:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The term "When Being a Man is All You've Got" was the title of a journal article by an Australian academic who was discussing certain Australian movies and their portrayal of masculinity (e.g. Blackrock, which featured the late Heath Ledger). It implies a lack of things that give a person social capital (e.g. a certain kind of employment), but Randwick you make a good point. Who we all are as individuals matters more than the externals that we are told are important(e.g. beauty or wealth or power).

"How many roads must a man walk down...?" It's a great question (great song). The "roads" - with all their bumps, diversions and corners - make us are all what we are.
Posted by Darlene.Taylor, Monday, 28 January 2008 7:15:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Darlene as usual evades the crucial questions. The superficiality and callousness of this woman seems to know no bounds.

As a woman, and a feminist of 50 years, as well as being Aboriginal, I apologise for her to everyone here.

Seeker: your remarks are among the most pertinent and important I've read on any blog - about anything. I want very much to reply to them and will tomorrow and meanwhile, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for articulating them.
Posted by Kellyanne, Monday, 28 January 2008 7:19:23 PM
Turnrightthenleft
I see that you are still writing voluminous amounts about me.

But you have still not come up with a feminist website that I should look at, other than the feminist website that you previously recommended that had slogans such as “A Woman Needs a Man, like a Fish Needs a Bicycle”, and “Queers Who Seek Equality With Straights Lack Ambition”

Keep searching Turnrightthenleft, and one day you may find something.

Darlene,
I might have a look through your website one day. I am currently trying to find a website that can give me some decent information on what is happening in Australia, but that task is not easy.

For example :- A large Australian newspaper has a blogsite titled “All men are liars”, and it does seem that it is now obligatory to vilified men in the media, like it has become in Australian universities.

Your term “absent fathers” is a recently invented term that is negative and vilifying of of fathers. You may be interested in this study of those so called “absent fathers” (and it is the only study ever undertaken in that area to my knowledge).

http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/hilda/Biblio/cp/conf-p04.pdf

I haven’t had too much contact with the Bra boys or Sydney surfers, but I have surfed breaks along the east coast of Australia, as well as in Portugal, Spain, France and a number of the islands in Tahiti. I have not come across too many surfers as portrayed in the Bra boys movie, and I think that movie is probably a biased view of what is happening.

But I do know that the most gender prejudiced organisations in Australia that are taxpayer funded, are also being run by women, and many of those women also call themselves feminist.
Posted by HRS, Monday, 28 January 2008 7:24:28 PM
No need to apologise for Darlene, Kellyanne - unlike yours, her comments are reasonable, well articulated and make good sense. Her brief film review wasn't half bad either.

All I've read from you so far are personal attacks on Darlene Taylor, evidently arising from some issue that started somewhere else.

Darlene, the sock puppet who was formerly "Timkins" at OLO wouldn't last five minutes at LP :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 28 January 2008 7:43:43 PM
I'm just tired of being told what I'm like and what I think of men and what feminists think of men.

Vanilla.

Well Vanilla, one of the main reason that I do this is because I too, am tired of being told what men are like and what men think of women.

Human relationships and interactions can be extremely complex. It perhaps almost impossible to cover all the tangents.

As too outdated caricatures, it seems that both Darlene and Audrey are prepared to use some of those outdated caricatures, so I don't think that some of the outdated caricatures are outdated at all.

Some people will fight fair, others will use dirty tactics.

Sometimes someone might get under my skin and when that happens I usually go away and think about it and ask why it is happening. The vast majority of what happens in this forum I do not take personally, if someone disagrees with me strongly, that is fine.

Recently for the first time I objected to a certain post, I am not going to now or ever try and rub the other persons face in it. Maybe they will respect that, maybe that wont.

I am interested in what the opinions of other people, sometimes I will test those opinions.

I know that if I am going to argue with a woman, I will more than likely lose, but then what the hell. Sure there are some blokes here that I really wouldn't want be in a debating competition against either.

A long time ago in a course I did, all the participants were read the same story, yet almost everyone managed to interpret the story differently. this is because we all apply our own values to interpret and this is called "value judgements".

Perhaps the most glaring example is one culture applies their own values to judge another culture's right and wrong.
Posted by JamesH, Monday, 28 January 2008 10:48:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy