The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not in my name > Comments

Not in my name : Comments

By Shakira Hussein, published 11/4/2007

Taj Din al-Hilali seems determined to, once again, damage the moderate Muslim cause.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
I enjoyed your article, Shakira, and I know things are never as simple as they seem - in this case, to speak of "the Australian Muslim community" involves some degree of fantasy.

Okay, but I'm not sure that justifies what still seems to be a general public silence and inertia among the various Muslim communities in Australia. They could still speak up more than they do. They don't have to say much about "sacking" Hilali, but they could still dissociate themselves from what he says (and tell us what they do stand for). I know some do, but not nearly enough.

I'm with logic who wants to know just what the damage is: how many Australian Muslims, whatever their particular pedigree, take Hilali seriously? How many hate Australia? How many want to include Australia in a newly established caliphate? And so on.

I think it makes sense to be afraid of Islam. However, I also believe in fear-management (eg the need for information). Then, once informed (not sure when that will be), I believe in an ethical response to fear: something better than hatred, for example.

Our main source of information are the various Australian Muslim communities. So, give us reasons not to be afraid!
Posted by goodthief, Saturday, 21 April 2007 5:49:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy