The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Freedom based on tolerance > Comments

Freedom based on tolerance : Comments

By Geoff Gallop, published 11/4/2007

Multiculturalism is based on the core democratic values of equality and human rights.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Would'nt it be nice if the fight against racism was the fight against segregation and oppression? These days anti-racism is a template for more immigration. And thought control. And anglo bashing. And basically a tool for subversion.
Posted by davo, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 10:32:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Geoff,
A refreshing look at the subject, the trouble with conservative thinkers, is just that it's conservative, no imagination, as to what could be. I have looked up my dictionary and under "conservative" there is no "progressive" in the meaning.
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 11:05:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The solution advocated is either the strong assertion of secularism and the values associated with democracy and human rights, or the renewal of national identity, which in Australia's case is associated with a fair go, mateship and the Judeo-Christian tradition."

I hate hearing politicians talk about "fair go" and "mateship". I'm sorry, but what do these words actually mean? Can you define them? To me, they're just a politician's way of getting out of answering what being Australian really means.

Personally, I believe that "Australian" is defined by a lot of qualities we share in common with other countries. That is irrelevant. We cannot say "this quality is not 'Australian' because the Dutch have it as well." Our Australianess exists, regardless of other patriotic values.

Briefly, these include: democracy, parliament (Westminster style), freedom of religion/conversion, freedom of the press/speech, freedom of political beliefs, equality of the sexes, equality of all people from all ethnic groups, the freedom of religious and political groups to influence the State but not control it (and vice-versa!), etc. Also, personally, I accept that Australia does have a Judeo-Christian heritage, and I think it is important to understand (as we must know our past to know our future).

In regards to multiculturalism, in a sense its a balance. There are some things which are totally benign and not the subject of much debate: e.g. diversity in food, music, clothing, etc. Some Aussies may complain that more people are watching soccer than the cricket, but who cares? Its ultimately not a major thing.

There are some things which are very important: e.g. threats to the values I listed above. When a particular "culture" teaches that the basic rights and freedoms of all Australians should be supplanted (especially against their will) for its belief system, we must acknowledge that this culture is not compatible with Australian culture, and this is an example of where assimilation trumps over multiculturalism.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 12:51:01 PM
Australians have had three decades of being preached at by the Labor lefties, we must be tolerant, we must not be racist, we must accept immigrants who will make no attempt to accept Australian values, who will consider our lasses as 'cat's meat',who will show what Lebanese do to girls who do not sit in their room wearing a hijab.
Mr Gallop, when are you and your leftie buddies going to realise that you are disenfranchising the Australian people, that you and your buddies have marginalised us?
When are you going to realise that you have targetted the wrong people? That you have tribalised and divided a country that was not tribalised or divided?When do Australians get some of your precious tolerance?
Posted by mickijo, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 2:29:54 PM
"Australians have had three decades of being preached at by the Labor lefties, we must be tolerant, we must not be racist, we must accept immigrants who will make no attempt to accept Australian values, who will consider our lasses as 'cat's meat',who will show what Lebanese do to girls who do not sit in their room wearing a hijab."

What the hell are Australian values? I take offense at being told that to be considered a citizen of this country I must adopt some sort of unwritten value system and adhere to it or be considered an outsider. I'll value whatever the hell I want thank you very much, and I'm more than happy to let others do the same.

There are, however, LAWS that govern this country, that are designed to stop anti-social behaviour that threaten the peace and wellbeing of other 'citizens'. Everyone in this country, no matter race, religion or creed, is subject to those laws. As far as I'm concerned you can do whatever you like as long as you don't breach them. It is, after all, a free country. Is it not?
Posted by StabInTheDark, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 5:01:58 PM
And it will keep going until we have a change of government

The Australian Peoples Party

www.tapp.org.au

members and candidates wanted
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 5:13:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy