The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > She's a brick ... > Comments

She's a brick ... : Comments

By Audrey Apple, published 5/1/2007

Audrey Apple tells us about her experience of abortion. Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 19
  14. 20
  15. 21
  16. All
Perhaps we should have a lottery on Foeticide.

We could do what they used to do in the middle-ages, and make a full public spectacle out of it.

What we should do, is select all women who have chosen to repeat the foeticide experience. Any female who wishes to again remove human life forms from the planet ought to be entered in to competition. They should be humiliated, rallied and struggled against in public places. And if they still wish to go ahead, they would be entered into a 50/50 lottery. One in which they draw a card with a symbol on each side which determines who is to be put to death. The Femme-fatale, or the hapless Foetus. It should be done this way, because the foetus is unable to represent itself strongly enough, though it does dread and knows to fight. Indeed, it is like a pitiful, speechless and fearful creature, with seemingly few post-birth humans prepared to represent it in its proto-womb form; labelled negatively already as it is by the carcass carrying it. Wouldn’t Howard Becker be bemused by such social deviance?

The foetus is a human organism from the time of conception. It evolves into no other thing except a human (with the occasional technical hitch). Therefore, from this moment on, from this day forth, with its aim to be had and to be held, to love and be loved unto death do it part us --is a person. It is brought to bare, by two fellow humans, both alive and not killed. Yet dead some may be. This rot about wimins reproductive rights is nothing more than a cult, and ought be treated accordingly.
Posted by Gadget, Sunday, 7 January 2007 8:40:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Gadget your idea gives new meaning to battle of the sexes.

Why not get all men to donate sperm then sterilise them. When the man wants to be a father he can impregnate his partner. Problem solved no more unwanted pregnancies thus reducing the number of abortions.
Posted by billie, Sunday, 7 January 2007 10:52:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clean up on aisle 37, Graham. That comment is very disturbing.
Posted by skepticlawyer, Sunday, 7 January 2007 10:52:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
IAIN HALL -
I note you have not yet answered Franzy's question -
If your daughter wanted an abortion would you give her your support ?
Or would you cut her out of your life....like you say all women who abort cut their fetus' out of their lives?
What's the difference?
Shall the law dictate that the likes of Iain Hall MUST see his grandchild born against his daughters' wishes? Will he and his wife bring up their grandchild and force their own daughter into paying chld support for a child she didn't want? Would the father of the same child contribute also or simply go on welfare to pay the bare minimum?
Will grandparents be forcing their own children to visit children they did not want ?
What kind of psychological basis is this for bringing a child into the world,knowing their own mother was FORCED to give it life against her own judgement,ability,wants,needs and decison?
Posted by Bugs, Monday, 8 January 2007 2:39:05 AM
Bugs
I bet you don't have any children do you? If you did you would not write such a post.
I have two and my love and support for them is absolute and imutable.My daughter would have my support form me no matter what. However that does not mean that she would get my approval for everything that she might do
Posted by IAIN HALL, Monday, 8 January 2007 5:13:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gadget........................arrghhh. Why I have suddendly thought of The Crucible.

Perhaps we could also do the same thing to men who beat their wives, men who impregnate women and do not take their share of responsibility for the child or men who leave silly comments on public forums.

That's right; we've moved on from the Middle Ages, although in the last instance that might be a shame.

Here's a quote from Katha Pollitt from an article in Bitch magazine (oh, I'm reading a feminist magazine, string me up and shame me):

"The pro-choicers have let the antis set the terms of the debate. We are always on the defensive. We don't say, Look its okay for women to postpone motherhood to get an education, to get established at work, to find a mate, to grow up. It's okay to only want one child. In fact, it's okay not to want children at all. Instead we defend abortion by emphasizing (sic) the extreme cases - rape, incest, dangerous pregnancies....But sometimes abortion is an easy decision (See how cold and frivolous that sounds? You're not supposed to talk like that!) If you're not ambivalent about the pregnancy, you might not feel so sad.

For society, legal abortion is a matter of common sense. Beside the issue of women's health and safety, would we be a better society with more very young single mothers, more high school and college dropouts, more shotgun marriages, more children whose parents couldn't cope, more women - and (more) men too - trapped by a stray sperm in lives they never wanted."
Posted by Darlene, Monday, 8 January 2007 7:14:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...