The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Draw back the veil > Comments

Draw back the veil : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 27/10/2006

For Muslims, honour, shame, and the obsession with saving face are paradigms at the core of their identities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Arjay, has it occurred to you that the ASIO and our Federal Police might have concluded the obvious: the Sheik is a crank and a nutbag and about as threatening to our society as the procession of crank nutbag Christian sect leaders who have paraded across our newspapers in recent decades? Their own kooky beliefs and increasingly self-limiting world view always brings them unstuck in the end (often resulting in gaol time), and this Sheik is rapidly approaching his use-by date too.

Arjay, since you’re so worried that religious fascists are a threat to our society, do you include in that rubric Trueaussie’s call to abolish the entire Muslim religion? That’s 300,000 thousand human beings in this country. They tried Trueaussie’s solution in Srebrenica and it was very effective.

I’ll take it that what Trueaussie said was a (disgusting) rhetorical flourish, because the alternative is unthinkable.
Posted by Mercurius, Saturday, 28 October 2006 8:35:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
By the way, does anybody remember our last Governor-General? The Anglican Archbishop who believed that a 14-year old girl brought upon herself the attentions of a pedophile priest? The one who refused to resign long after it became obvious to everybody else that he had to go? The one who only apologised for his actions and retracted his statements years later? The one whom the leaders of the Australian community, including the PM, all supported until the bitter end?

The Sheik's remarks and subsequent actions seem to be following the example of our former head of state. Perhaps the Sheik embodies Australian values more than many would like to admit...

All you who scorn the Sheik seem to share his mistaken belief that it is women on the street who are most at risk of rape. Yet most women are raped in their own home by men they know.

Every Muslim in Australia could disappear overnight and there would still be thousands of Australian women being raped every year. You could ban the Sheik and close every mosque in the country, and it wouldn't change this fact.

This leads me to conclude that most of you are just looking for an excuse to bash Muslims instead of addressing the real problem of rape in this country.
Posted by Mercurius, Saturday, 28 October 2006 9:28:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The uber-liberals posting here want to blame the established society for the immigrant coming to Australia as if the migrant had no personal responsibility in their choice. What these ultra-lefties need to realize is that there are many fatwa published about Muslims going to Democratic societies. With in Islam Muslims are not allowed to go to democratic societies unless for advanced medical treatment or higher education not available in their society, or for business purposes, or to subvert the host countries culture and convert the society to Islam and sharia law.
Muhammad denies Muslims to live in a democratic country for ease of living or financial gain. The Prophet said," The fire of Muslims should not be seen with the fire of Mushrikeen". The Prophet said." I am exempt from a Muslim who lives among pagans". There are many more Hadith and fatwa available but not space to add to my comment. I'm not suggesting that all Muslims are evil but, that under Islam they can not defend democracy or place it before Islam. The dictates of Islam and it's religious leaders must come before any foreign society even if they are the foreigners. Do not look to the Muslim to protect your society. He prefers the authoritarian rule of Islam and sharia.
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 28 October 2006 11:56:13 AM
So Mercurius would be happy to just roll over and see Shariah law imposed in Austarlia?No one from the alternate philosophies is suggesting violence,however Muslims constantly allude to their religious beliefs being offended and thus they have no control over the possible consequences.

It is this constant threat of possible violence that blackmails our Govts into slowly submitting to their demands.We have special Govt funded prayer rooms,anti religious vilification laws in Victoria,shopping centres sanitising Christmas by removing religious symbols,McDonalds that won't have any bacon on their premises,and special Govt funding just for one reclcitrant group.

We just need to simply have the courage to draw a line in the sand and say no,you cannot preach this unfetted hatred of western women and get away with it.Just living in denial will see the mind games they play intensify.Someone will again say something outrageous from their group,they'll pretend to mis quoted and more nutters from other religious extremes will see their chance for their day in the sun.We have to come down hard on it and stamp this nonsense out now.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 28 October 2006 12:37:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
amongst the few good points raised here, mostly by merc and philo, this discussion is a damn farce. listen to yourselves. muslim bashing, ignorance, generalisations and ocker superiority.

i am reading along with you guys, but have no real desire to contribute thoughtfully as I'm sure it would probably be squandered by some capital-letter overusing pig headed aussie dick.
Posted by edwardcav, Saturday, 28 October 2006 2:53:22 PM
after reading these discussions, i am so glad i live in the bush where life is simple, safe and fun. i dont have to worry about multiculturism and how it affects all you city dwellers, the most i have to worry about is how to stop the kangaroos eating my garden!
Posted by sandyd, Saturday, 28 October 2006 3:11:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy