The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We must be willing to be unwilling towards Israel > Comments

We must be willing to be unwilling towards Israel : Comments

By James McConvill, published 7/8/2006

Israel has changed the parameters of the axis of evil in the latest Middle East conflict.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. All
According to James McConvill, "Israel is not vulnerable, precious or a decent democratic nation. As events over the last few days have shown, it is a unprincipled basket case that will kill, maim, whatever it takes, to protect its borders."

Is McConvill aware that the land area of Israel is a mere 20,770 square kilometres? That makes it approximately one-tenth the size of Victoria, the small Australian state that McConvill resides in. As a Sydney-resident it has always intrigued as to how VERY SMALL Victoria is - after all I can cross the state from Wodonga to Melbourne in just over three hours by car. I wonder how 'vulnerable' McConvill might feel if he lived in a nation that occupied just 10 per cent of his home state and was surrounded by a largely hostile Australian land mass, several countries of which had leaders who were sworn to its destruction?

Israel is not "precious" either ... Yes, McConvill would no doubt agree, in concert with the buffoons at the Green Left Weekly discussion board, that a nation with a Jewish majority is an outrage, whereas other states that call themselves Islamic are just fine and dandy.

And Israel is not a "decent democratic nation" ... Yes those damned Jews have got so much to learn from Iran, Libya, Saudi Arabia and the Sudan.

Just who is the "basket case", McConvill?
Posted by EnerGee, Monday, 7 August 2006 9:40:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think EnerGee just proved James point, well done.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 7 August 2006 9:47:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This suggestion that Israel is excessively agressive is simply not true. If you look at the Egypt-Israel border, there has been peace for 20 years. Egypt does not permit terrorists to attack Israel, so there is peace.

As far as the moral position of Hezbollah and Israel is concerned, Hezbollah not only indiscriminately fires rockets targeted at the Israeli civilian population, but sends suicide bombers to kill Israeli civilians, whereas Israel only targets civilians in palestinian areas that have been involved in terrorist acts. Hezbollah, with the disregard for human life that seems to characterise the arabs, locates itself in civilian areas in Lebanon, so that Israel has difficulty attacking it without inflicting collateral civilian casualties.

The most important point, however, for Australians, is that Israel is fighting our enemies, who have already killed more than 150 Australians around the world. Remember the old adage:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

We have only seen the first act of the coming conflagration in the Middle East. The fuse is steadily burning on the issue of Iranian uranium enrichment, and we can expect dramatic action on that later this year. That's when petrol could go to $2 per litre.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 7 August 2006 10:05:17 AM
Can anyone explain whether a multicutural country such as Lebanon is a dangerous menace to a unicultural country such as Israel.Are we at the "Cuito Cuanavale" moment similar to what apartheid South Africa faced in Angola in 1987 which resulted in the collapse of that state in short order in both South Africa and Namibia
Posted by Vioetbou, Monday, 7 August 2006 10:09:05 AM
James' article hits the nail squarely on the head. Israel is a spoilt brat of a nation coddled by an addle-headed US daddy for far too long. It's the bully on the ME bloc and has for decades now been routinely abusing its neighbours. The only thing that stands in the way of checking its sadism is the US, which has effectively become, through the agency of the Israel lobby, Israeli-occupied territory.
Posted by Strewth, Monday, 7 August 2006 10:43:31 AM
Plerdsus I hate to break it to you but Israel is the greatest aggressor there is.

You think there is peace wherever terrorism doesn’t prevail? What about in the occupied territories? Are you trying to tell me that the violence is caused by terrorism? Either ignorance really is bliss or you’ve been listening to too much propaganda. Or both.

Hezbollah is attacking civilians? And I suppose the 300 dead civilians in Lebanon just got in the way?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe suicide bombers are not fueled by religious hatred but rather by the unjust occupation that has reigned over the Palestinian people for almost 35 years now? (the longest standing occupation to date)

The first suicide bombers in Israel were not Arabs or Muslims. They were Japanese communists. Hear that? No religion! Hey…maybe it has something to do with that occupation I was talking about earlier. (Oh that!, you say)

“Hezbollah, with the disregard for human life that seems to characterise the arabs, locates itself in civilian areas…”

Not only is this statement incredibly racist but it’s simply untrue and extremely one sided (along with the rest of your post). Israel has difficulty attacking it? Oh my poor heart aches for Israel. I wish it were easier for Israel to bomb Lebanon back into the Stone Age the second time round!

What on earth do Australians have to do with Israel? Apart from the belligerent and extremely ostentatious support from the Australian government for Israel’s actions (be it entire massacres of villages or the usual routine wherever the abuse of human rights is concerned).

And finally, only someone so blinded by what’s really happening in the region could refer to and put the price of oil and Iran in the same sentence.

“On July 28, 1989, we kidnapped Sheikh Obeid, and on May 12, 1994, we kidnapped Mustafa Dirani, who had captured Ron Arad. Israel held these two people and another 20-odd Lebanese detainees without trial, as "negotiating chips." That which is permissible to us is, of course, forbidden to Hezbollah.” - Ze'ev Maoz
Posted by fleurette, Monday, 7 August 2006 10:52:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy