The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New world order not so new > Comments

New world order not so new : Comments

By Osman Softic, published 27/4/2006

Are predictions of peace on earth little more than utopic fantasy?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Meredith, how exactly does recycling domestic stories from the Daily Terrorgraph count as comment on "current world problems"? Eg: "A gunman threatened a hospital security guard while visiting his wife in a maternity ward last night. The man, described as being of Middle Eastern appearance, brandished his weapon at Auburn Hospital just before 9pm" etc etc.

Sadly, the debate on this forum rarely rises above this miserable level. People peddle their prejudices and provide nothing to back them up. My view is that prefacing a racist remark with "I don't believe in political correctness" does not make it any less racist.

There is very little research on ethnicity and crime in Australia. The best I could find was from the Australian Institute of Criminology at http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/ethnicity-crime/ethnic-ch6.pdf Much of this report is pretty commonsense, eg "Most arrests of members of migrant groups, like that of the Australian-born, involve young males in the age group 15-24. Arrest rate of this group, with rare exceptions, was found to be higher than any other demographic group." Perhaps we just need to lock up all those boys till they grow up. If there's an ethnic crime-wave could someone please show me the stats?

Re 9/11, Bali, London etc. There's no question that these are appalling terror crimes, but are you also appalled that (for exampe) 3.8 million people died between 1998 and 2003 in the Congolese Civil War? We're a long way from peace on earth and on a global scale Al-Qaida et al are fleas, both morally and literally.
Posted by Johnj, Sunday, 30 April 2006 1:19:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah! yes,don't mention the war. Why is it that when Islam is mentioned we are classed as being 'racist'? Yet the most violent, terrible murderers today are Islamists. That is undeniable.
A reporter asked a muslim spokesman the other day what he thought were Australian values and this person who had migrated to this country answered in the most contemptuous sneering tone,"Australian values!Throw a bit of meat on the barby"
This is what new comers thing of us, soft, stupid and easy to manipulate. We deserve it.
Posted by mickijo, Sunday, 30 April 2006 1:35:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mickijo, could you provide a link to the article? I'd be interested in reading it. Re racism: "violent, dysfunctional followers of Islam who have been allowed to flood into Europe and bring their hatred with them", is that racist or not? My original post said "anti-Muslim rant", you can call it anything you like (as long as you don't call it sensible).
Posted by Johnj, Sunday, 30 April 2006 2:00:46 AM
John J

http://democracyfrontline.org/news/?p=387
Above is link to a lil HuT meeting in Bankstown a few weeks ago,

and here is a link to the supoosedly moderat Keysar Trads opinions
http://worldwar111.blogspot.com/2006/02/racisim-islamic-response.html
You can find more on K Trad there too..

If you don't find this offensive to Australia and want to continue trusting this religion (not race) then you are disturbed.

MikiJo,

yeh it is like that thing "just don't mention the war"
Posted by meredith, Sunday, 30 April 2006 2:05:00 AM
"Yabby would give us 'moral anarchy' :) "Im-a watchin you boy""

Umm BD, sometimes we can learn a little by observing nature.
If we look at our closest relatives, chimps and bonobos, they
employ quite different strategies. Chimps are aggressive like
humans, patrol their territories and kill males from other tribes
of chimps. Just like those Christian soldiers and Muslim jihadis.

Bonobos are far smarter. When they meet another tribe, everyone
has sex, so the males have nothing to fight about really and are
too buggered and content to care :)

Note how the most fanatical Christians and Muslims have the most
distorted views about sex, perhaps you guys could learn something
from those bonobos :)
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 30 April 2006 3:58:51 AM
Coach, I went to the local library yesterday to borrow the one copy of the Qur'an, but fortunately it was out. I say 'fortunately' because it gave me time to cogitate more carefully (get pissed) and realise the error of my ways.
Not that there is anything wrong with knowing at least something about that which you (or I) dare to venture an opinion, of course.
Problem was that I was automatically re- acting.
The truly magnificent thing about your religion (I'm assuming by your remarks that you are a Christian) is that Jesus always stressed the need to be proactive (to use the modern term), rather than reactive.
That has always been the stumbling block, teaching my own children; and clearly I have never been Robinson Crusoe.
No matter how many times I have stressed the Golden Rule to them, still one or the other will come out with: "but she said" or "they did it first".
Jesus exhorted us to love our enemies, simply because it is the only way to break the vicious circle of action and reaction, or action and vengeance.
What we currently see all to often in the world today is "do unto others, before they get a chance to do unto you", or "do unto them because they did unto me".
To put it simply, if you want to take the moral high ground, you are going to have to stop acting like the people you seem to despise.
As to my religion, I'm probably even worse than a Muslim. I am -in your terms- a fallen Christian.
I prefer 'Secular Christian'. I hope I have demonstrated I believe very strongly in the moral and ethical teachings of the legendary Jesus; I just think all the current theories of God are at least 1500 years old, and as relevant as flat earth, or angels sitting around on clouds, playing harps.
Posted by Grim, Sunday, 30 April 2006 12:32:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy