The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When being a Jew is not kosher and telling a Christian story is heresy > Comments

When being a Jew is not kosher and telling a Christian story is heresy : Comments

By Donna Jacobs Sife, published 31/3/2006

The politically correct public school system is turning its back on our own Judeo-Christian culture.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. All
Put together a portfolio of Muslims stories. You'll be booked out.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 31 March 2006 10:39:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And people wonder why the state system is being abandoned!

The denial of our heritage and culture is essential for those in the Department of Education, as the Critical Theories it champions view the western tradition as instrinsically corrupt... marxist critiques call it bourgeoise, feminists call it patriarchal, post-colonialists call it imperialistic, and so on, and so forth. Instead of embracing the most complete, profound and magnificent tradition in the world, students are asked to explain why the system is opressive and exclusive. If anyone doubts me, go to the NSW Board of Studies website and look at the 2 unit English course... the recommended readings are all denials of the western tradition, and are described as "exciting" and "controversial".

The political correctness which drives curriculum change also drives the self-censorship on which the Departments of Education have thriven.
Posted by DFXK, Friday, 31 March 2006 11:22:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You were presenting yourself as an entertainer,displaying the story from your culture/background, in a presentable format so as to teach the children/audience a story of moral, cultural ,educational, and easy to recall, as to tell their friends and family {recommend}, entertainment. I do not see what part the Education Department had to complain, or disapprove, after all you were there to ‘entertain the students.

I too have past experiences of “you must go to Church, as you are living under our roof, abide by our rules.”This carried on many years after I married, especially when I visited my elder brother, who was, & still is With the Pentecostal faith, but that is getting away from your topic, and our Queensland Education Department would not approve.
Posted by ELIDA, Friday, 31 March 2006 11:27:40 AM
The departments of education should turn their zeal on the efforts of the religious right to push their agenda into various levels of government.
Posted by Bruce, Friday, 31 March 2006 11:27:42 AM
In my most paranoid moods I suspect that secularism has become a covert force in our society that seeks to eliminate anything to do with the spiritual. “Spiritual” here does not mean spooky, unearthly, or ghostly, it means the kind of reality that cannot be proved in laboratories but which is essential for us to be human. Donna’s experience is one of many in which the voice of the spirit is removed from the public square. It is significant that the stories of other cultures are admissible as if the powers that be know that they will have less power to connect with us than our own stories. It is our stories that they are scared of because these stories paint a different picture to what being human means that is directly opposed to that of secularization. Robert Jenson has written an article called “How the World Lost its Story ( http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9310/articles/jenson.html) that explains the depth of the loss and how it came about.

I have listened to my children as they went through school and university and have been dumbfounded at the extent to which the West was blamed for all manner of evil. This has produced a hatred of the West and a romantic overestimate of other cultures that are deemed, in some way, to be natural. It seems to me that there was not even an attempt at balance, no attempt at recognizing the enormous good the West has produced as well as the bad. But you only have to look at the societies of the world to realize that the Judeo-Christian tradition has produced societies that attract people from all over the world. Sure we have our problems, but the levels of corruption, poverty, violence, neglect are insignificant compared to the societies produced by the countries whose stories we are allowed to tell in school. As I keep saying, if you get the theology wrong, you get everything wrong. If you begin with stories that do not reveal the truth you will get deranged communities that are the product of these stories
Posted by Sells, Friday, 31 March 2006 11:35:56 AM
Leigh you have missed the point of the stories because many heads of education saw through the soft /religious/political propaganda disguised as a story, it is a pity you have to show your bigotry by mocking Muslims,
Posted by mangotreeone1, Friday, 31 March 2006 11:39:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy