The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine a democracy? > Comments

Palestine a democracy? : Comments

By Taya Fabijanic, published 10/3/2006

Israel needs to be reminded as much as Hamas about not using violence for political gains.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Good on you Scout you said exactly what i wanted to say there are far to many BIGOTS on this Web Site if some of the Individuals writing on this Forum just think that we are All Related we Originated all the Same way Genetically Even the Rat and the Pig is like us they will want to think before they start writing ?
Posted by ozevic, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 8:10:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BD, "On you though, it suprises me that you seem so defensive of womens independance and not needing male protection, when your own experience suggests otherwise. But I won't grind that off topic axe any further here today." - looks like you gave that axe a bit of a rub on the wheel already David.

Apart from the physical strength issue (which is only sometimes a significant factor in law enforcement) why do make such a big deal of a womans need for male protection? The male advantage of being more likely to have greater physical strength can be overcome by numbers, weapons, willingness to do harm, preparedness etc. If Scout was given to undying gratitude for the physical protection of "her man" would that have helped her if he was somewhere else when she was attacked or if her attacker was armed with a gun? Get over it David and get some self esteme based on something more than your gender and prowess in the boxing ring. There are more important things in life.

On to other matters.
I have not trolled through the religious texts of a lot of the religions but suspect that Scout is on the money, mostly because all religions have been shaped by the cultures and times in which they started.

If the west wishes to be taken seriously in our calls for democracy in the middle east we have to show a legitimate respect for the outcomes of democracy. We need to work with Hamas with caution but also with respect for the choice of the Palistinian people. We need to equally censure both Palistine and Israel when they fail to respect their neighbours borders or legitimate needs. Anything else makes a mokery of claims about freedom and democracy.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 8:56:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rob
the 'females needing male protection' axe is not about me finding self esteem, its just a basic reality of life. I don't mean that in a 'demeaning' way mate.. and while your points about strength not being the only issue, are valid, they hint of a denial of that basic reality.
One persons 'equality' is another persons 'anarchy' so to speak. There is probably no point in me further expanding the point about structure in families for males and females, as unless we share the same foundation, it will not be very productive.

Male protection does not mean a bloke has to 'hover' over a woman 24/7
But if she is confronted in the outside, it might be that only a determined bloke can rescue her from some predatory moron, unless she can kick and run. Common sense should rule. In cases of increased risk, increase also the precaution. "I'm not walking down THAT street alone at this time of night, can you come with me"

Hamas ? 'respect' ? good grief Rob.. their founding charter is a document for genocide, cultural, social, military... and the fact that they were 'elected' in no way changes this. In fact, if anything, they may have been elected BECAUSE of it. I draw the conclusion that they were elected in part because of
a) Their determination to remove Israel
b) Their social work
c) The absense of financial corruption among them.

On the grounds of "a" Israel has a right to declare all out full scale war right now, and displace them totally. If you look closely at the wording of their charter, especially article 11, you will see this unless you are blind.
http://www.palestinecenter.org/cpap/documents/charter.html

Article 18 on the role of women

"and of educating their sons to observe the religious injunctions in preparation for the duty of Jihad awaiting them."

Education is seen as preparation for war.

Democracy is meaningless with a founding document such as this.
Respect is suicidal and naive.

Negotiation might fit well with your basic 'niceness', but it won't go far in reality in this case.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 22 March 2006 5:29:22 AM
-all – one of the reasons - OK, not the only one, but the main one - I so enjoy picking on you is your insistence on quoting David Stove, which I note you continue with. David was a fairly close friend of mine, deeply mischievous, and a deliberate controversialist, who enjoyed playing logical and rhetorical games, largely for the fun of seeing who fell for them. He succeeded, sadly, well beyond his wildest dreams. Conspiracy theories, such as those you propound, were anathema to him, although he did find the human capacity to fall for any explanation involving an evil genius, or genii, wryly amusing. Nonetheless, he would be turning in his grave, were he not such a staunch unbeliever, at the thought of the ways in which his little philosophical amusements have been appropriated by those who lack both discernment and irony. Remember, if you will, that David managed to ‘prove’, deductively, that God is not an Australian intellectual (in Cricket vs Republicanism), and ask yourself whether you’re sure you want to take everything he wrote at face value. And if you decide you do, there’s no hope for you.

Tell you what, though – you stop quoting David, and I’ll stop insulting you. Promise. Even though I’ll miss it. And even though I think you deserve it for many other reasons. Oh, BTW, local boy though he he was, I can think of few people less likely to 'make a lot of scene' (Your words). Made a fair bit of SENSE, but only to those in the know.
Posted by anomie, Thursday, 23 March 2006 9:28:23 PM
All- Have I ever heard of "King Solomon Strewth"? No. I've heard of King Solomon, but not "King Solomon Strewth". What a coincidence he's got my nickname! As for have I heard of "The Temple Mt Knights Templar - Knights Hospitilars, etc, etc", have you heard of Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and leprechauns? Didn't think so.
Posted by Strewth, Friday, 24 March 2006 6:53:56 AM
Thanks Anomie,
I would think anyone who reads David’s work, would pick up very soon on the humor , that is why I like the guy, and a Mathematician to boot. So I better stick with Quantum Quark theories.
You sound like my Mum: My Dear –All indeed.
Posted by All-, Friday, 24 March 2006 4:35:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy