The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to scare and confound men > Comments

How to scare and confound men : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 27/2/2006

Of course feminism’s a sham and an indulgence!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
BD, I agreed with pretty much everything said in that last post although not with your earlier posts.

What you talk about seems to apply to many issues in society - someone's kid is abused and they seek to deal with it by fighting certain forms of child abuse and seeking to raise the profile of those types of abuse regardless of how much they have to misrepresent the actual problem to do so. I suspect that some of your buddies in the Muslim bashing brigade have had issues with a small number of mulims and seek to push the issue much wider than is justified by reality. The story of "The boy who cried wolf" is one we all need to remember and which should be part of that values training in schools.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 8:30:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed, Boaz, Feminism is not 'almost gone'. Surely you would not deny my right to vote? Or that of your wife or daughter or mother? Surely you would not deny my right to purchase property without a father or husbands "permission"? Or to attended university? Or to gain professional employment? Or to be considered a full human, rather than the 'chattel' of a man, with similar legal status as horses or dogs? For that is what you are speaking of when you celebrate the emminent decline of feminism. Think about what the women's movement actually achieved, and genuinely consider if going backwards in such a way would be what you would want, for yourself and for the women in your life.
Posted by Laurie, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 8:44:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The trouble with you, Boaz_David, is summed up in your use of the phrase 'meandering & directionless lives' to describe people who get involved in causes and movements, who you presumably assume to be not people of faith. Your own cause that you never pass up an opportunity to push on this site is christianity, which has both its adherents and critics. You appear to think that most non-christians have meaningless lives. Christians do not have any monopoly on truth or rewarding faiths or meaningful existences. I would take you more seriously if you would clearly acknowledge that, without yet more proselytising.
Posted by PK, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 8:58:32 AM
I agree with other commentators - this article was not well written.

But reading between the lines I read a popular contemporary theme, expressed by a number of men - i.e. the modern feminist movement has become offensive and degrading to men.

As a bloke, I can identify with some of those sentiments. I think it was strategically wrong for the feminist movement to try to lift the self-esteem of women by belittling men - we see this trend even in some TV ads.

The reality is that the baser side of both female and male behaviour patters stems mostly from low self esteem. Women play low self esteem out one way. Men generally do it another way. If you can build the self esteem of both sides, then the result can be marvelous.

Elevating one gender by deflating the other is therefore not particularly productive to building the maturity of society in general.

That said, those blokes who take great offense against the entire feminist movement for this glitch need to remind themselves of the big picture. Which gender dominates politics, the media, business and executive power structures? Which gender bears the brunt of domestic violence? Isn't it virtually always the boys - like Bush, Saddam, Howard, Hitler and Blair who take nations to war and cause the deaths of millions?

These are big picture issues that you can's just sweep under the carpet whilst whinging about some upsetting feminist comments.

Also true, men can't (shouldn't) be blamed for their aggressive instincts. This is programed into our genes.

Both men and women need to 'own' their own problems and foibles and deal with them without getting behind barricades. To both sides, I say, try stepping out of your own gender and sit in the middle for a while and really imagine what it is like to be on the other side.

Then try to help both sides grow.
Posted by gecko, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 10:39:13 AM
Gecko,

"Then try to help both sides grow."

That's a brilliant post.

The problem is that book fiends like Dowdy Dowd stand to make a fortune by fomenting what is nothing less than apprehended violence between men and women. When women take up the challenge, the following will occur:

Dowd writes more books and gets richer.
A few men get hurt but a lot of women get blood noses as men defend themselves with appropriate minimum force.
Lawyers get richer with all the law suits.
Police hunker down in their stations as they don't know what to do about all the violence
Governments count the profits as communities fall apart and hand more and more control to government agencies, who raise taxes to pay for increased services.

Its a Greenspanian economic dream. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and governments become legal dictatorships.
What? They already are?
Posted by KAEP, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 1:51:53 PM
One of the very important attributes of the Femo Nazis, and that is: They had very poor relationships with Fathers in childhood, more so in the deprived of Father hood.
Interesting, Check out Greers History, and Dowd’s. Funny what you find out.
Psychopathology does explain things, just as long as Leftoid NAZIS’s are starved of the chance of Manipulating factual findings. And Pop goes the weezel.
Posted by All-, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 4:46:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All