The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Acknowledging differences > Comments

Acknowledging differences : Comments

By Abe Ata, published 16/1/2006

Abe Ata: Can the grievances of Anglo Australian and Australian Muslim communities be reconciled?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Abe, you suggest that a new Australian identity will one day emerge. That day has arrived. You have identified this brave new person as the archetype of a modern day Australian. He or she now has a hyphen inserted in his or her identity which ads an air of distinction. You mention Muslim-Australians and Anglo-Australians and Italian-Australians. Would it be OK if I identified myself as an antiMuslim-Australian or an antiItalian-Australian?

What about we ad more categories? We could have Convict-Australians for those just released from prison. And we have already had the suggested Atheist-Australian. We could have a lot of fun with this. What about someone who is just over a marriage? They could be Divorced-Australian. And what about Virgin-Australian to describe young girls.

Abe, what would happen if I scanned Australian newspapers to track the arrival of Spanish migrants or Estonian migrants or Canadian migrants? Would the same amount of social dislocation be reported? Would we have accounts of the police forced to form up in large numbers to keep Australian and Spanish people apart? Would the papers carry any stories of life savers being assaulted by Estonian youths?

Abe, we've been sold a pup.
Posted by Sage, Monday, 16 January 2006 4:56:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abe Ata,

I never call myself an Anglo Australian. Wanting to be an Australian Muslim, a Lebanese Australian so forth and so on is the problem.

If "Australian" Muslims have a grievance then go back home. If you don't want "Cronulla" again don't misbehave. Don't worry about the police, they seem to be reluctant to pull you into line.

Riots in Paris. Riots in Sydney. Trouble in Holland and Russia. What's the common thread? Bridgette Bardot would tell you but I don't think she's allowed to thanks to the minorities.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Monday, 16 January 2006 5:48:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi all

Before starting, I acknowledge that there are many peace-loving Muslims living in Australia. Many are what we might call "nominal" or ill-informed. That doesn't mean that they can't recite (portions) of the Qur'an. It means that they don't understand it - Islam is about obedience & conformity; not analysing & understanding.

Like it or not it is a sad fact that once one studies both the Qur'an & the Sunna (Ahadith) there can be little doubt as to what the intent of Islam is as a politico-religious social order. It stands isolated from all other religions that I have studied - & I have studied many.

For the uninitiated Islam is ".. more than an academic abstract; it is a way of life." Dr Ergan Caner (former Turkish Sunni Muslim). But that functioning is based on totally different premises to all other philosophical thought processes.

There are some 126 gods in Hinduism, there is no god in Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism or Jainism etc. There is only one god in Judaism, Christianity & Islam - the Jews & Christians call Him Jehovah; the Muslims call him Allah. But that is where the similarity stops, & the differences begin.

For those interested I can recommend obtaining a copy of the Qur'an to study for yourself. It is less than the size of the New Testament, & you ought to be able to read & study it within 6-months (if you apply yourself). You can access not only the Qur'an but a lot of other material by going to: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

Impatient? Or don't want to invest the time in a study of what could possibly change your perspectives on life, then the next site might suffice: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles_print.php?article_id=5158

Notwithstanding, Australia is confronted with a 'problem' which has exposed itself world-wide more recently, but is revealed in the annals of history since approximately 626AD. How we confront that 'problem' will test our resolve & will indicate our maturity. If we ignore the 'problem', then it won't go away. Our children's children will inherit the legacy which we leave them.

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Monday, 16 January 2006 8:06:27 PM
I have no doubt this is going to sound nieve.... and is on a slight tangent from the initial posting but, I do not understand WHY all this disagreement and conflict has to exist. Regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, gender, economic status and religion - WE ARE ALL PEOPLE. We do not have to agree on everything... we can respect each other and our choices, values and beliefs.

I do not think that young people need more discipline, they need to be loved, parents need to actually give a damn and try not to be so focused on making a living. Times have changed, stressors are different, both on parents and young people.... Young people should not be automatically dismissed as being inconsiderate etc... give them more respect. Treat them like individuals and hear what they are saying.

People whom are immigrating to Australia have every right to be here - we are after all a 'multicultural' country.... Every non Aboriginal person whom lives here is also an immigrant of some sort, and thus, we have no right to discriminate againts others whom follow in our footsteps... Embrace the diversity and learn from it.

We are all people...
Posted by kristos, Monday, 16 January 2006 9:34:43 PM
Fellow_Human, I respect your right to express yourself. I work with four people, who are either of 'Middle Eastern' or Lebanese background.

I like these people. One is a woman who, although of the Islamic faith, has sent her teenage daughter to a Catholic high school because of the shared values and spirit within that school.

My wife has two married friends, the wife being of Turkish background, and leaning towards Islam, her husband being French and lapsed Catholic. They have two wonderful 'children' - young adults - who I could never speak highly enough about.

I have also known a devout Lebanese Islamic family, the father does the Hajj every few years: but who do not want to associate any more than they absolutely have to with the Lebanese community.

I say this because it is almost as if there are two versions of Islam: one which provides spiritual comfort and guidance, a measure of stability in a modern world full of uncertainty.

But there is also another brand of Islam that some believers use to justify abhorrent and violent behaviour, or rejection of democracy and the rights of the individual.

I can accept that devout family, and those who see the values inherent in some parts of Anglo-Celtic society.

Unfortunately I also recognise that there are elements of Islam that appear to be incompatible, as practised by some, to the culture of a modern, democratic, post-enlightenment society.

You question the existence of some 'gangs' of some Islamic cultural background. I would point you towards the activities of the gang comprised of the Pakistani (actually Pushtun) 'K brothers' who justified the sexual assault of underage girls on the basis that good girls in Pakistan didn't act the way that girls acted in Australia.

In many ways the struggle should not be between Islamics and non-Islamics in Australia: it should be between the different groups of 'Islamic believers' as to which group is to represent Islam in Australia.

That we the rest of us may be able to either accept the presence of Islam, or know who our enemies are.
Posted by Hamlet, Monday, 16 January 2006 11:14:41 PM
Hamlet. The way some Muslims look and the clothes that Muslims are required to wear represents danger/war to alot of people, they see it as a threat and it triggers fear. The biggest problem for Muslims is that when they are dressed in dark attire and the same, you cannot differentiate by looking at them who is an extremist and who isn't so everybody gets painted with the same brush.

Lately I have been seeing Muslims who, whilst dressing to suit their culture including covering their head, they have used bright colours and even jewelry and I have noticed that I dont feel that concern that automatically happens when I see Muslims in dark outfits and scarfs etc. With the brighter colours they look Australian.

Muslims have to understand what their dress has been made to represent and those that are not extreme should start brightening up their outfits and adjusting their style so that there can be easier differentation. Even a change in colour, not style makes a difference.

Might sound silly, but I think that it will help, and every little bit helps. The clothes and colours that some Muslims use change the scenery and landscape in Australia in a way that terrifies Australian's.
Posted by Jolanda, Tuesday, 17 January 2006 7:51:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All