The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Back to Africa > Comments

Back to Africa : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 13/1/2006

Bashir Goth rues the day that white man settled in Africa.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All
PhilB... your kind words are appreciated !

ALL and YABBY... *whack* :) you should have read my post boys...
Bashir is fair dinkum experiencing 'Culture Shock'. The symptoms are these.

1/ An unrealistic idealization of the 'old' ways
2/ A rejection and hostility toward the 'new'.
3/ This is usually not a conscious choice.

The usual outcome is as follows:

a) Go Native, embrace with totality the new, rejecting the old.
b) Rejecting the new, clinging with romantic fervor to the old.
c) a Studied adjustment and integration of the old and new into the self.

Often this is caused by the lack of ability to form meaningful relationships and real friendships in the 'new' situation. It can also be exacerbated by choosing to identify exclusively with a small number of 'us' rather than getting out and knowing some of 'them'.

I've seen this among some new missionaries and all combinations of the 3 outcomes.

In other words, Bashir is not being entirely rational, due to culture shock.
Try to reach out to the guy, and see past his unrealized cry for help.

BASHIR.. be assured, you will be ok with time. Specially when you realize that we white mob actually can be quite nice and friendly.
Don't see in all of us the excesses of the rampaging colonial period
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 14 January 2006 7:22:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That would be part true D B, but:
Not just immigrants to European nations hold this view; it is a contemptuous view of the Left. And the view from the right Ideological is theoretical garbage, Common sense and logic with a bit of decency is what the left despise, Providing excuses and rewarding failure is not going to solve anything, just compounding the problem and adds fuel to the ready resentful public sick of the Elite lootery bashing us to death with subliminal rhetoric of Guilt and Misery.
Try doing the same in reverse order, I guarantee we would be shot first ask Questions later.
Not a good way to win friends and Influence people in the realms of those in reality and certainly publishing such thoughts is something heavy in the mind to produce such contempt. I would uphold hold my first view on the matter.

Then just imagine if Andrew Fraser had wrote such an article in reverse, how many nuclear weapons would the lefty looters find to detonate upon him?
Case closed.
Posted by All-, Saturday, 14 January 2006 8:16:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bashir posts another hostile racist attitude by his inference that the Black African cultural past was better than what the White culture has given to Africa. We do not need more racist slurs on past Anglo-Celts what we need is assimilation today into a world society.

Boaz_David I have to agree to your posts that the gospel of Christ is the only hope for a truly unified and civil society. I have Black African Christian friends here in Sydney they are wonderful people - they have no longing for their former tribal ways.

Quote B_D, "For me, the treasured memories are of a renewed multi racial/tribal community, a Christ centered one. Of shared meals in our home with many different races and languages full of laughter and happiness, but all one in Christ,"
Posted by Philo, Saturday, 14 January 2006 9:12:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are those that wish to live in the past and those that wish to forget it, along with the responsibility they, or their forbears, have for its corruption. I sympathise with Bashir. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a simpler time in the cocoon of familiar surroundings. It is one of the devices of memory that what we had was seamless, consistent and safe yet what we have is fraught with uncertainty and loss of control. Africa’s experience gives much credibility to the latter. It would be difficult to argue otherwise, however as with some of the postings, to blame the victim for the state of their situation is a shallow and short sighted conclusion but an easy one, hence its appeal.
The world is a series of remote continents no longer, yet, I am afraid to say the plight of your continent will remain in a backwater. The west is obsessive about two things, Bashir, colour and substance. Black is only important when the substance is oil.
My sincerest best wishes in your quest.
Posted by Craig Blanch, Saturday, 14 January 2006 9:38:21 AM
PHILB,

I’m sure Germans would be interested in your racist remarks. I am not German, incidentally. And, unlike you, I don’t stereotype people according to race or nationality. Your have a serious problem there – blaming a whole nation for the remarks of an individual about whom you know absolutely nothing.

Cultural superiority? Who mentioned it?

Your “life’s work (is) to ameliorate the darkness of conservative oligarchic fascists”, eh?

I’ll overlook the grammar and assume you mean that you intend to ‘remove’, not ‘improve’ this thing you hate. And where did I mention oligarchy? I was talking about natural selection, not the rule of a few. Good luck to you. You must be a more powerful person than your posts suggest.

Criticise me all you like, but at least think before you write. Your great Crusade will need more than name calling and merely disagreeing with other people to have any hope of success
Posted by Leigh, Saturday, 14 January 2006 11:56:27 AM
PhilB - great posts

BD - agree with much of what you have to say.

Yes Bashir is indulging in some romanticising of the past - quite understandable. However reality must raise its ugly head (this is where I disagree BD) and suddenly believing in a religious deity aint gonna be a substitute for the hard work required to unify and create a strong and vital Africa.

The whites aren't going to go away - they and the original inhabitants need to join hands and work together.

With its remaining (and still vast) resources there is no reason why Africa can't become independent and a virile economic force on the world stage. Look at the contribution Africans have made to the USA - when given the opportunity.

Bashir - your blog is prolific and heartfelt - I haven't time to read all. Suggest with your talent for prose to put together that novel or autobiography.

While I don't agree that the clock can be turned back, please keep the writing coming - I am learning a lot thanks to people like you.
Posted by Scout, Saturday, 14 January 2006 12:45:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All