The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Back to Africa > Comments

Back to Africa : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 13/1/2006

Bashir Goth rues the day that white man settled in Africa.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. All
Only Africans can solve Africa’s problems. The few vestiges of colonialism left are what remains of the institutions and business networks allowed go to wrack and ruin by Africans after the ‘imperialists’ left. Harping on the past and blaming Europeans for the ruin that is Africa today is merely an exercise in self-pity.

The author yearns for an Africa that he knows only from history. Most of us can empathise with this: the old days always seem better in retrospect. But, thinking about the past keeps you in the past. The past is interesting, we learn from it, but we don’t want to live there.

All monetary aid to Africa should cease. I don’t like to see kids on TV starving anymore than most others do, but sending money and food to Africa only perpetuates the problem by keeping more people just ‘alive’ enough so that they can have more children to start another starving generation and so on.

The author recalls that in the pre-white Africa, the population never outgrew itself because of natural disease and lack of interference with nature. Everyone lived a tolerable life because the population was controlled.

Education, democracy, private enterprise and survival of the fittest are the only things which will save Africa. People who cannot currently provide for themselves in the modern world are beyond help. Organisations and ageing rock stars contribute only to further suffering with their self-aggrandising stunts.

Entire civilizations have disappeared over the ages because they were overtaken by change. Who are we to decide that Africa or any other country that cannot keep up with the times is not part of that process?
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 13 January 2006 4:48:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh you do love to throw the odd hand grenade.But you knew the lefty's would be seething to repond to that load of twaddle.Your know nothing adhominen malfeasance is palpable.[Deleted for flaming. Poster suspended for 2 weeks.]
And yes I am a lefty and proud of it,and it is my lifes work to ameliorate the darkness of conservative oligarchic fascists.
Posted by PHILB, Friday, 13 January 2006 6:15:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Philb
its such a pity that you posture yourself as a 'Lefty'. 'Concerned person' would be adequate mate and probably alienate a lot less people. The 'evil right' against which you pit yourself is something which is part of human nature, and exists and will continue to manifest itself in every age. (same for the idiological Left I guess). The exploits of 'white' colonial powers in Africa were but an extension of the 'lust of the nobility' for more territory and power and prestige, but also, it was a competition with other colonial powers in the interests of survival- economic and military.

History also includes Neo colonial adventures by communist powers and they might be a little further behind the scenes but still have the same national interests.

BASHIR .. you wistfully long for The familiar, the childhood memories etc.. the culturally significant, and you (like most of us) are romanticising and idealising your own past. (its classic CULTURE SHOCK :). Many of us experience that in regard to the cultural and racial texture of our own country. So, given that you feel the same, as a migrant, I suggest this is quite normal, and nothing to do with race.

But you know something ? We can actually experience a greater joy, and a love from and for our fellow pilgrims in life, even across racial and cultural barriers. I experienced that in Borneo, I now long for the types of things you mentioned but I'm divided. I feel them for Asian tribal people, Chinese merchants, even Malay Muslims who all formed a part of a precious time in my life, and I'm white from the top of my head to the sole of my foot.

For me, the treasured memories are of a renewed multi racial/tribal community, a Christ centered one. Of shared meals in our home with many different races and languages full of laughter and happiness, but all one in Christ.

I share your feelings. it's best to try to integrate them into the present.. you will feel the same about now also :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 13 January 2006 6:46:15 PM
Dear David.Your post is as usual succinct and to the point,and to risk pissing in your pocket your knowledge style and layout is to be commended,and its clear your comments like mine are off the cuff(apart from when you quote the bible)and not plagiarized from the net or an encyclopedia,the latter obviously being free to use in any matter deemed necessary.We all derive our info from somewhere.(I guess).

"Proud to be a lefty" Now are you sitting down David?I once shock horror, voted for Malcolm Fraser.I must confess my hand in the polling booth was trembling at the time,and no it wasn't the result of a good night on the turps.I thought at the time he was the best man for the job.Now Malcolm does have his faults,believe it or not I am beginning to admire the man ,in his dotage he is becoming quite the statesman,unlike the current twerp we now have.

I hate all politicians(not all) with equal fervour,most of them are parisites, on the left right or in between and to lazy to get out of there own roads.In some cases they are imbeciles.They ingratiate themselves at election time, then its business as usual.

Now David who I alienate myself with at time time of life is of no consequence,however if caring about the planet,my fellow man,fighting exploitation,and pissing off conservative nuff nuffs,makes me a trendy lefty,I wear that badge with pride.
Posted by PHILB, Friday, 13 January 2006 8:22:08 PM
The biggest problem for Africa is not Europeans, but Africans themselves, African leaders running off with billions, to hell with the rest of the population.

Africans themselves can be extremely racist. I mean look at what the Bantu did to the Pygmies. There is still some debate in Africa as to wether they are really human. They are often kept as slaves by the Bantu and there are plenty of stories of cannibalism involving the poor old pygmies.

I do apologise to Africans for the damage that the Catholic Church
has done in Africa. I'm sorry that we have produced such a nutcase
religion.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 13 January 2006 8:59:44 PM
Dear oo me, what a load of twaddle, the guilt trip we: “Europeans” should submit to our superiors, what other word of mind conditioning- it could be know other than. “Schizophrenia”- Please, if Europeans are that bad and Simple Mindless sick people Please spare us of your superior mind and relieve the Psychological misery we must bare- and let us be in primitivism, and then when we are ready - Then we Beg you to Bless us with your presence and your good will- Money – Education-Civilization –and to teach us the way of Civility.
The obvious is: You have taken Racism a bit too far; to a point it has become a Pathological obsession and of Psychotic proportions. Typical Marxist trait. Isn’t that the Irony of Leftist Ideology? People are not that stupid or is this a Mind bending Kaiser Trad Machiavellian Moment conundrum: Tuberoinfundibular pathway or Amygdala Conditioning.. Would be My Non P C cultural Marxism Probable cause opinion .MMMmmmmm What planet did I just arrive on?
Posted by All-, Saturday, 14 January 2006 6:18:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. 20
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy