The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The 'shock jocks' are in tune with the silent majority > Comments

The 'shock jocks' are in tune with the silent majority : Comments

By David Flint, published 15/12/2005

David Flint argues only a policy of zero tolerance by the police force and the courts will bring the gangs to reason.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
The Economist magazine does not publish journalists names with articles. As such the editors take full responsibility. And yet even then the level of opinion in articles seems to be high.

Reporting the facts and nothing but the facts seems to be something that journalist find very difficult to do. Clearly all journalists are biased by life experience, personal beliefs etc.

Ultimately the best media is probably one that offers lots of opinions and in which the facts are rigourously debated. Outlets like OnlineOpinion are a good template.

Objectivity is a worthy ideal. And we should all try and be objective. However at the end of the day we all look apon the world from a given vantage point and can do little more than report what it is that we see. Perhaps the best we can do is declare where we stand and then try and explain what it is we see and incorporate what it is that others claim to see.

I am not convinced that either the right or the left see the world with more clarity. They just see it from different angles.

http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html

P.S. I am biased. I give my own opinion a slightly higher rating that the opinion of others. Otherwise I would change my opinion
Posted by Terje, Thursday, 15 December 2005 9:38:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Flint is usually spot on with his assessments, and is once again here.

There are parallels with NAZI Germany & the left in the western media, and this has been seen on numerous occasions, not only with a comment from extremist David Marr, that if a journalist doesn't come from a "softie leftist culture", they should "get another job".

It is shown with the way David Fielding's office was trashed, or with the bags of urine that was thrown at those attending Pauline Hanson's meetings in the late 90's. Anyone who has a different view to such leftist ideologues, is a "bigot", a "redneck" or some other colourful, yet meaningless, adjective. We have heard English professors comment that if Liberal govt's are being voted in then they aren't indoctrinating the children at school enough. They really would put something in the water to get us to think their way if they could.

Don't doubt that for a second.

Talkback is the last bastion of a free media in this country. It is true, that occassionaly, a drunk idiot calls up saying all ethnics should be sent home, but this is because it is unfiltered. Mainstream media simply ignores reality, toes the politically correct line. If anyone has ever listened to Arabic radio station 2ME, they'd know it's far worse, remember the death threats about Douglas Wood?

A good example of this "media madness" is the minimal reporting of the attacks on churches during the past few days, and this cancer is all through our institutions.

Howard is being lectured by Asian leaders on racism at his ASEAN summit, I mean, really, what a joke. Japan doesn't have an immigration program, or even accept refugees, and we know how they treat South Koreans.

Malaysians whip illegal immigrants, and give women on work visas regular check ups to ensure they don't get pregnant. I could go on, but the picture is that all the Asian nations are shocking racists, with arranged marriages on ethnic lines, employ their own kind, ect.

Yet the media say nothing to these yellow bigots.
Posted by Benjamin, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:09:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have never called a talkback radio programme, and don’t often listen to them. But I agree with Professor Flint: they provide an excellent forum for the ‘ordinary’ people to express their views and vent their frustrations. OLO provides a similar service.

I agree with all of his comments, and admire the self-control that allows him to gently describe the idiotic multicultural policy as ‘superfluous’ and ‘unacceptable'.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:21:31 AM
david flint...david flint.....where have i heard that name before?
oh thats right, good mates with alan, wasnt he?
looked the other way when his mates were taking kickbacks.
its nice to know the voice of the majority has a price.

"and here we go.

drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, my payola."
(to the tune of my charonna).
Posted by its not easy being, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:54:45 AM
Not surprising to see David Flint jumping to the defence of his good friend Alan Jones. This is the man forced to resign from the Australian Broadcasting Authority, the man who wrote fan mail to Alan Jones and did not disclose it during the cash for comment inquiry. A man who does not recognise conflict of interest when it stares him in the face. A man who sees nothing wrong with a broadcaster being paid to espouse a view, and not disclosing the payment. Well, as long as that broadcaster supports your side of politics. If he happened to criticise the government it might be different of course.
Posted by AMSADL, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:57:24 AM
I don't agree entirely with alot of Flint's assertions-but he is spot on in one respect.

By labelling people bigots and racists for speaking their minds society in general forces moderate members of the community under ground. If Alan Jones gives people a forum to speak their minds it is far preferable to them heading down to Australia First or Patriot Youth League Offices!
Posted by wre, Thursday, 15 December 2005 11:27:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy