The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Creation, cultural wars and campus crusade > Comments

Creation, cultural wars and campus crusade : Comments

By Alan Matheson, published 30/12/2005

Alan Matheson sees sinister implications behind the Intelligent Design debate

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 26
  12. 27
  13. 28
  14. All
Boaz, dont insult my intelligence by quoting the bible as a reference work on a question of Science.
Because of flagging belief in the notion of creation due to the advances of science in alternative theories as to how the universe came into being,thinking people have become more and more sceptical about biblical claims.
Childrens spiritual development is the business of their parents and their church or temple, not the role of schools. There was a push to have Religious Instruction re-introduced into my children's primary school but the proposition was overwhelmingly defeated by the parents in a poll. Children need to be taught to think and reason, which should be the prime role of educative institutions, Not to be force fed Dogma.
Bozzie, you answered your own question in your last paragraph.....
"Religion and education are two different things"
Posted by maracas, Saturday, 31 December 2005 1:02:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kenny, can you give me a citation for your assertion that "JC says kids should be killed if they don't follow the rules""?
Posted by Ernie, Saturday, 31 December 2005 1:43:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everyone has the right to choose and practice their own religion.

Similarly everyone has the right to choose not to practice a religion. So called "Family Values" are not the sole preserve of the religious. Values such as honesty and compassion and being good parents are not the sole preserve of the religious. In fact it seems to me that there is little correlation between religiosity and such values and behaviours. Some religious people are honest and compassionate, some are not. There are plenty of examples of both the former and the latter.

I think the religious need to really worry when they see politicians becoming interested in them. Politicians only do so for what they can get out of it.

If Jesus arrived in Australia right now, I'm confident he would either be put in a detention centre or quite quickly charged with sedition - a stark reminder of how far Australia's so called Christian leaders have strayed from Christ's real message.
Posted by AMSADL, Saturday, 31 December 2005 2:03:12 PM
Crusader: There is religion and there is the way Christ taught.
In all Churches God is working with those that are his.Those He has called but I do not think He is working necessarily with the specific Church.
Hillsong, like a lot of religions, have well dressed, well paid men/women, who have fine large paid for homes and motor cars leading the organisation. All paid for by the congregation - we did belong to one such group.
Christ had no trappings of luxury, had no home, no big bank account, was never investigated for His possible alleged wrongfull use of other peoples money. The Apostle Paul turned the Roman Empire on its ear by causing a massive growth of Christians, He worked as a tent maker.
As I said above there's the way of God or Christianity and then there is man made religion. numbat
PS. Health and wealth "gospel?" is not a part of God's Word. There is more about Christians suffering than wealthy Christians.
Posted by numbat, Saturday, 31 December 2005 3:26:25 PM
Some idea of the Discovery Institute's real aims can be revealed by looking at its funding sources. Nearly all of the Discovery Institute's money comes in the form of grants from wealthy "conservative" fundamentalist Christians. They got around $350,000 from the Maclellan Foundation, a fundamental lobbying group in Tennessee. Their single biggest source of money, though, is Howard Ahmanson, a California savings-and-loan bigwig. Ahmanson's gift of $1.5 million was the original seed money to organize the Center for Science and Culture, the arm of the Discovery Institute which focuses on promoting "intelligent design theory". By his own reckoning, Ahmanson gives more of his money to the DI than to any other politically active group --. In 2004, he reportedly gave the Center another $2.8 million. Howard Ahamnson, Jr sits on the Board Directors of Discovery Institute.
Ahmanson is a Christian Reconstructionist -- a fringe group of fundamentalists who argue that the US Constitution should be abandoned and the US should be "reconstructed" under "Biblical law". They are the Christian equivalent of the Muslim fundamentalists who want to form "Islamic states" under "Islamic law". Ahmanson is long associated with JR Rushdoony, one of the original founders of the Reconstructionist movement --- and one of the original financial backers of Henry Morris and the ICR (Rushdoony paid most of the publishing costs for Morris's first book, "The Genesis Flood". Similarly, the Discovery Institute's Phillip Johnson dedicated his book "Defeating Darwinism" to "Howard and Roberta" -- Ahmanson and his wife.)
Ahmanson has given several million dollars over the past few years to anti-evolution groups (including Discovery Institute), as well as anti-gay groups, "Christian" political candidates, and funding efforts to split the Episcopalian Church over its willingness to ordain gay ministers.

Fundamental religion in all its forms is dangerous
Posted by Steve Madden, Saturday, 31 December 2005 5:41:27 PM
Onya Numbat... I feel so much better now living in my 7m x 9m section of my shed with 3 grown kids :)

There is no place for a 'prosperity' gospel. While there is indeed much blessing in Christ, we must never forget the COST of true discipleship.
"If any man would be my disciple, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Jesus)

MARACAS I think you misread me. I certainly don't want to insult your intelligence, and I didn't quote from Genesis in connection with the very controversial issue of creation. (Though I may at some other time).
It was more in connection with 'culture wars' and our democratic right to shape the community. (just as you have one)

With regard to my quote from Deuteronomy, I was correcting a falacious view of scripture, in direct connection with an alleged 'secret agenda' of the 'Christian right'.

So, I'm a bit surprised at your response. It sounds like your insight and awareness of how such a book relates to the standing and goals of the Church is a bit in need of some further information. So, I urge you to do some reading please.

There is no need for us to sling 'You insulted me' at others when clearly that was not their intention.

To not understand the relationship between Old testement/Israel/New Testament/Christ/The Church is to totally misunderstand the direction of Christians today.

I underline Numbats point that the 'Church' is that body of believers in every denomination which knows Christ as Lord and Savior, and seek to glorify Him in their lives. A quick comparison with Jesus life and teaching will reveal those who are 'weeds' and those who are 'wheat'.

The idea of a body of "RELIGIOUS LAW" (like Sharia in Islam) applicable to society in a political sense, is foreign to Christs teaching, but we still have a vote and I will use it as I see fit. :)
My vote would never support Abortion, same sex adoption in a gay relationship, nor the outlawing of Religious Ed in Schools.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 31 December 2005 5:53:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 26
  12. 27