The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terrorism arrests - moving from the political to the judicial > Comments

Terrorism arrests - moving from the political to the judicial : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 14/11/2005

Waleed Aly argues the recent arrests of terrorism suspects in Australia may benefit the Muslim community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
cont:

What I’m concerned about is does he,
1 respect Western history, culture and traditions?
2 stress constant demanding we understand, respect and bend to islam is rude here, that it would be good manners to instead understand and support all we aim for here in Australia.
3 remind Islamic law, tradition let alone terrorism can be highly offensive to western values.
Don’t know Amr so open to sources.

Your conservative Yusuf Qaradawi I do know of. Surely your not glad he has an audience of 50000000? He’s a total creep! Banned from Egypt in 1962,barred from entering the US in 1999, barely tolerated in the UK.
i.e. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07/08/nyusuf08.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/07/08/ixnewstop.html

I’m not naive enough to suppose we can stop all things offensive to Australia, but I think islamists need to rethink their approach, by understanding and curtailing to freedom of religion for a start. It can be “troublesome” to say the least to leave islam, many muslims don’t for this reason, for the islamic councils to create an apostasy protection org would be a good beginning.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali ex-Muslim and critic of Islam, labelled an apostate by the assasinated film director Theo van Gogh with whom she colloborated in making the film Submission
Salman Rushdie Accused of being an apostate of Islam by Ruhollah Khomeini due to the publication of his book The Satanic Verses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy#Islam
The Muslim/s who helped with the recent terror raids should be able to be commended, as just being vocal is useless from spokespeople of a religion whom is terrifying the westeen world.
The PC assumption-lie that every cultures standards-psychology will be accepted by the Western host is a cruel, deluded and selfish PC hoax for potential citizens and Australians. The slice of opinion here in this forum illustrates this point quiet well.
Posted by meredith, Saturday, 19 November 2005 3:41:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Meredith,

My posting above was to clarify that Islamist terrorism sources and Islam are different. The terrorist ideology in essence does not believe in the Quran as Muslims do but believes 80% of its teachings re tolerance and people of the book is void, expired or no longer valid. I do not see why Muslims should run around denouncing terrorism because it is your assumption that Muslim and Islamist terrorist share the same faith. Your ignorance cannot be my problem, sorry.

The material written by AH Gazali (who died 1110) and used to promote terrorism, you will find much more sites using the same teachings for anti-Islam propagandists without questioning which I find sickening: same contents are banned as terrorist material as they should, but publishing the same material for propaganda purposes is OK.

Your specific questions were:

1. Respect western culture and tradition: most Muslims countries (taking Egypt the example I lived in) teaches history and world geography and cultures. If you read Dr Mahfouz (Literature Nobel Prize winner 1988) on www.nobel.org it will tell you what Islam hold for west and western culture.
2. I don’t think any Muslims is asking Australians to bend for Islam. All what we need is mutual respect and understanding as equal citizens.
3. Shariah law keep coming up these days for reasons I am unaware of but here is a simple position: as a Muslim, tightening the legal system against crime to achieve security and social justice is good enough. The legal system in Australia is secular and must be kept secular in my view. Let us just be careful no to allow any minority to have their own legal system because we live in a world of precedents.

I have no comments on 'fatwa fame writers' like Rushdie, Manji and others. The fatwa is usually a markting tool to boost their sale. they are all alive and well with 20 y.o. fatwas.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Saturday, 19 November 2005 4:27:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does anyone understand the mental condition of the 'born here' would be terrorists?
One can see that the young men who are born and live in the Middle East and are immersed in the traditions of those lands, are one with those homelands.
But how do young men who are born in this country grow up so full of hate for Australia and Australians. We did not ask their parents to come here but when they did , they were generally housed, fed and looked after by the Australian population.
So why the loathing for a nation that has only done the right thing?
Why the arrogance ?
And above all, why are these unAustralians permitted to stay in a place of such odium to them.
Posted by mickijo, Monday, 21 November 2005 3:33:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy