The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terrorism arrests - moving from the political to the judicial > Comments

Terrorism arrests - moving from the political to the judicial : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 14/11/2005

Waleed Aly argues the recent arrests of terrorism suspects in Australia may benefit the Muslim community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Arjay,

There is a third interpretation:

Muslims regard Islamist terrorism as outside their faith and not within.
If you read some of my postings, their ideologies come from one source (founded by a scholar who died 1110AD) which basically believe all love; tolerance verses in the Quran are not valid or expired!

Their beliefs have nothing to do with Islam or Muslims. The link only exists in some westerners minds
Posted by Fellow_Human, Friday, 18 November 2005 9:22:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The so-called leaders of 'moderate' Muslims seem to do the same thing all over the world. They condemn an atrocity, saying Islam does not allow that sort of thing. Next they start saying that all Muslims will targetted by local 'rednecks', then they say nothing until the next time. They don't seem to think that the lunatics will commit atrocities agaist other Muslims.

But now Muslims have killed Muslims in Jordan, and the Jordanians are sitting up and taking notice. A reporter opined in an overseas publication yesterday that Jordanians are outraged not so much because of an anti-terrorist mind set, but because Muslims have killed Muslims. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen here before Muslims in Australia wake up to where their best interests lie.

Duck. I'm not going to waste any more of my posting allocation on you. You think what you will, and so shall I. One man's 'hateful ideas' are another man's truth. Disagree with (and criticise)what I and others say by all means. Your remark about not giving us 'free reign'shows your attitude to free speech. Whatever you think or say I, and I'm sure others who don't hold your ideas, will continue to make our opions plain. It's the media monitors who matter, not you, Duck. Give my best to Grandma and Donald.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 18 November 2005 9:35:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay, that was a ridiculous post.

If you haven't heard the howls of condemnation coming from Muslims in response to radicalism and terrorism in recent months, then you're simply not listening.

The suggestion that Muslims parade through the streets is equally stupid. You demonstrate to effect political change. A demonstration would do absolutely nothing to stop terrorism, except confirm to terrorists that most Muslims deserve to be killed too. They have already expressed their contempt for mainstream Muslims. They do not listen to other Muslims because they consider them deviants. A demonstration will only entrench this.

The only purpose a demonstration would serve would be to put on some kind of freak show of self-flagellation.

Incidentally, I don't get why this whole 'Muslims are liars' topic is even relevant. Aside from the clear bigotry of it, the article in question wasn't a statement of facts. It was analysis. You either accept that analysis or you disagree, but the concept of lying is just irrelevant.

But then, given the level of engagement with the article so far, I suspect this point may be beyond those who would rather just beat up on Muslims, even if the topic of discussion is meant to be homemade cookies.
Posted by Jasper, Friday, 18 November 2005 9:36:50 AM
No Jasper,we would join them in a march of solidarity.No freak show,no leftist apologists,just the courage and determination to see this cancer removed.

The Muslim community have isolated themselves intentionally,and it is about time they joined the Australian community.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 18 November 2005 8:06:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jasper - I happily acknowledge your points about this "muslim liars thing" it is complete bigotry and I have found it extremely offensive.

It is true that Waleed's article is an excellent piece of analysis. Muslims were actively engaged in assisting with the arrests, they have also been vocal about their condemnation of terrorism.

However it would appear that no matter what muslims try to do to stem terrorism it will never be enough for some people - these bigots will always find fault. It is like muslims are being asked "how long is a piece of string?"
Posted by Scout, Saturday, 19 November 2005 10:52:45 AM
Fellow Human,

Sorry for the late reply, I have currently lost my net, am at a friends house atm.
No worries you don’t like the Answering Islam site. I’m sure you respect that many people do appreciate it. Here’s another link on islamic dishonesty for anyone interested:
http://www.answeringislam.org/Authors/JR/Future/ch16_understanding_dishonesty.htm
You agree just because that quote on lying is “outdated” does not mean its not applying today.
To answer you, modern moderates are unnoticed because they haven’t attempted to stop, islamic terrorism or social bullying by islam to the West. They seem to spend all their time shoving the beauty of islam down our necks when they could be addressing decent prison sentences for the Bali terrorists or the vilification case in Vic, it would have been nice to see the islamic community use their power to respect free speech in my country not squash it. So to believe their sincerity is foolish. The muslim clerics/spokespeople who reside in Australia … yes I think they are lying, so do most Aussies. Kadous touts himself as moderate:
Dr M Waleed Kadous October 17, 2005 Nine’s Sunday program:
“I’m sure that there are some in the community who are involved in terrorism, but it is important not to exaggerate either the threat or the number. I would — actually, can I retract that. Let me just think of a way to phrase that better.
If they do exist — and I’m not sure that they do exist — we only have ASIO’s word to say that.” http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/transcript_1891.asp
To my mind both these comments from Waleed read very differently, which are we to believe HE believes? No big problem or ASIO conspiracy… both are insane anyway.
Your moderate evangelist Amr Khalid seems popular, so cool let’s see some of his anti-terrorist outcomes within Australia, not just lip service on the poetics of islam. I googled ("Amr Khalid" Australia anti terrorism) I get 22 articles of pretty much fluff
Posted by meredith, Saturday, 19 November 2005 3:40:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy