The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious tolerance will ensure community safety > Comments

Religious tolerance will ensure community safety : Comments

By Mark Zirnsak, published 24/8/2005

Mark Zirnsak argues it is time to stop the misinformation campaign against the Victorian Racial and Religious Tolerance Act.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
"The Racial and Religious Tolerance Act provides a safeguard against a small minority of people who would seek to promote racial or religious hatred in the community. The law allows us to hold opinions or beliefs - even if hateful or destructive - but if we act to promote hatred then we may risk action under the Act."

I think that this is a blatant racist and religio-centric provision. It isolates a section of the community and places them above the rest of us individuals. What if people just promote hatred against a mainstreamer for no apparent reason? For instance: I have had the local "Christain" mob cause trouble. Most of the things that Zirnsak says have happened to Muslims have happened to me.

I know there is vilification going on. I know if I was one of the favoured and recognisible minorities there would be moral outrage. But there is no political mileage to be made when white vilify whites.

I knock about with a person who has a purple mowhawk, tats and piercings - why isn't this person afforded the same protection. I expressed this concern to a local police officer and, of course, it is not in their portfolio - "see your local member". Verbal abuse, bullying and vilification for this kind of difference doesn't get a look in.

This is one reason why I think cultural supremacism needs to be acknowledged more in our society as it may lock politicians and media into a non-racial, non-religio-centric way of thinking.

Vilification is plain wrong and should also be applied to any other equally - regardless of race, gender or religion
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 25 August 2005 4:24:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A response to Mark Zirnsak’s article “Religious tolerance will ensure community safety’
Mr Zirnsak states in his column, “There has been an active campaign of misinformation run against the Victorian Racial and Religious Tolerance Act, particularly in Victoria’s religious communities.”
I would like to remind Mr Zirnsak that just because he doesn’t agree with someone else’s opinion, that does not give him the right to call their statements “misinformation” or deliberately misrepresent them.
Despite willingly throwing the accusation at others, it is clear that Mr Zirnsak likes to indulge in his own “misinformation”. He has done this in a number of ‘communications’ put out through his paid position in the Uniting Church’s Justice and International Mission Unit. He has circulated information, which he has taken completely out of context, and used it in an attempt to denigrate those who disagree with him. Hardly a ‘Christian’ thing to do!!
The fact that he does this while purporting to represent a Christian denomination in Australia is itself mis-representation. His comments DO NOT represent the UCA position, just that of the UCA Justice and Mission department he works for. I have received many letters from UCA members and ministers pointing out that he does not represent them.
Peter Stokes, CEO, Salt Shakers
Posted by Peter Stokes, Thursday, 25 August 2005 5:57:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's face it,the anti-religious vilification laws were brought in because of the potentially violent and intolerant nature of some Muslims.They are a capitulation to the rule of fear and violence.

If we don't have the courage to face it now,our grandchildren will be fighting for their freedom because of our cowardice.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 25 August 2005 8:01:59 PM
Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which states:
"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this
right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to
seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and
regardless of frontiers."

the legal persecution of opinion and expression undermines the concept of democracy and enables entities to become immune to critical consideration. The transparency of open debate and the right to reply is adequate protection.

existing laws already cover illegal behaviour against all Australians. Laws relating to offensive behaviour, assault and battery, defacing property and incitement to riot are sufficient.

does anyoen have a petition agaisnt these laws, i made one with those 3 points in it, but dotn know enough on which gov commitee to adress it to etc or have anyone group who can take it on... maybe there is one around already or someoen can help me with this one.

Arjay, i think Islam would use the law against free speech more than us be prtected by it
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 25 August 2005 11:52:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Even if I were not Christian, even if I thought, as many on this forum do,that all religion was black magic.Even then I would feel towards islam as I do now.
Moslems claim that their koran follows and corrects the two Christian Testaments. These two books, according to islam, had been re-written and thus were far from what was delivered by God originally. Yet the book of Isaiah unearthed in 1948 at Qumran, a portion of the 'dead sea scrolls'This scroll had lain untouched, untampered with, since AD 70--Five hundred years before mohammad. This rendition of Isaiah supposedly 2,000years old is identical to the version in our modern Bibles. So much for the koran superceding the Bible.
On terrorism: Syrian born cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, "We don't make a distinction between civilians and non-civilians, innocents and non-innocents. Only between moslems and unbelievers. And the life of an unbeliever has no value. It has no sanctity" "We will use your democracy to destroy your democracy"
Moslem cleric Sheikh Abu Hamza:" Told young British supporters that murder,bank robbery and looting are legitimate weapons against the enemies of islam"
If you are Christian, hindu, buddhist, non-believer,or whatever even if you are tolerant towards islam you are an enemy of islam. Your life is worth nothing at all.
"Trust them sure can't" numbat
Posted by numbat, Friday, 26 August 2005 2:00:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I prefer to actually hear what is on people's minds and in their hearts so we can be honest with each other. Supressing attitude so we pretend we are nice to each other is dishonest and dangerous. Such control leads to speaking with forked tongue, smiling and being nice as a pretence while planning the downfall of an opponent. That is why under this law it is OK to deceive for the benifit of harmony, while planning destruction. We are controlled by the law of fear and not by an honest heart.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 26 August 2005 10:01:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All