The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Justifying rape? Most Muslims won't defend the indefensible > Comments

Justifying rape? Most Muslims won't defend the indefensible : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 13/5/2005

Irfan Yusuf argues a Muslim leader's controversial comments on rape do not reflect the view of the majority.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
As a parent of an Australian son who married into a muslim family, I have been able to observe at close hand what goes on. Basically you are right, most people are just too busy with careers and families to notice. But it is high time the vast majority of moderate and very decent Muslim people stood up and objected in the strongest terms to the manipulation and fanatacism that is going on. This includes foreign language speaking Imans in Australia.

It is high time they were instructed to only give sermons in English and if coming to the country as an imported Iman, English language capability must mandatory. After all, this now in what I believe is the position in Europe,particularly in Holland and Germany, after the appalling Van Gogh murder.

Secondly it is high time the moderates made their voices heard over the din of the blabbering Imans et al, and let it be known they object to extremist views of the Wahhabis, salifis and their offshoots.

I find it most noticeable that not one Muslim cleric has issued a Fatwah against Bib Laden or any of his ilk, and further there has never been a public demonstation by the moderates against the murderous fanatics, but there has been to protect the wearing of scarves.What does that tell us.?
Posted by bigmal, Monday, 16 May 2005 9:48:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for your article Irfan. I am always encouraged when I hear the voices of articulate, moderate Muslim people in our media. Your voice is an important one in shaping Australian perceptions and a healthy community. My assumptions about people of Muslim faith are certainly reflected in your article, and I know that Muslim leaders face an uphill battle in being understood and represented accurately in the mainstream media. But it is important to engage rather than withdraw.
Posted by AliJ, Monday, 16 May 2005 11:23:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Moderate Christians tend not campaign against hardline Christians.
Another thing to point out here that many people still believe the same as this Sheik when it comes to rape.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 16 May 2005 12:14:26 PM
I agree with Kenny's logic, since many moderate homosexuals tend not to campaign against militant homosexuals...
Posted by davo, Monday, 16 May 2005 2:56:38 PM
I think both Kenny and Davo are drawing long bows. What Christian based organisation of modern times has an avowed policy of wanting to convert everyone to their way of thinking, and if one doesnt so convert, then one is to be killed. This latter point is the real differentiator.

What Christian based organisation of modern times believes that the state should be subservient to the religion, as the Wahhabis, and others believe,and actively propogate. The Catholic Church has in the past tried this, but has given up on it. But the muslims have not done so.There are many areas of strife around the world where wahabbism and sharia law are making inroads into the role of the State.

I dont think it is a valid to state that moderates generally are not prepared to campaign against the extremists.If they, the moderates do not do so then they, and we, are in the same position as Germany's failure to stand up to fascism. Relating this to moderate homosexuals not being prepared to campaign against their radical kind is trite.

The comment to the effect that the moderates will not say anything in the case of the rape drama, because they secretly agree with it supports my point, ie no demonstration by the moderates against these extreme views, because they believe it to be true.

Wake up Australia
Posted by bigmal, Monday, 16 May 2005 7:48:43 PM
Well it's about time Muslims stopped all this double speak.Who really represents the Muslim religion?Why was Kaiser Trad{who isn't really a moderate} expelled by the Lebanese Muslim Association that is now frequented by radicals? What are your real intentions?We have all this confusion and not one single voice that unifies your community?

The Muslim community must realise that they are either with the Australian Community or against it.There is no room for grey areas of division or uncertainity like the nonsense perpetrated by the likes Sheik Hilayly.

Unless your community expels the radicals,the majority of good Muslims will be further alienated from the broader community.

Perhaps this is their objective.Many have come here to escape war, yet are beginning to create another conflict in a country that has survived over 200yrs without a major internal conflict.

We are a tolerant country in terms of personal and religious beliefs but will not tolerate a religion dictating to us,how we should dress or what rules should be implemented by our Govt.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 16 May 2005 8:32:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy