The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The horrific breakdown in Israeli Palestinian relations: where do we go from here? > Comments

The horrific breakdown in Israeli Palestinian relations: where do we go from here? : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 31/10/2023

The unfathomably horrific massacre that Hamas perpetrated against innocent Israelis offers an unprecedented opportunity to reach an Israeli-Palestinian peace.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Seems like a thorough going assessment of the situation to me. I particularly liked the last paragraph re the role of the psychopath who now leads Israel.
Meanwhile, taking into account that all politicians lie, especially in times of war, what if the official narrative re what happened on Oct 7th is false. Check out the essay on Scheer post titled October 7 Testimonies Reveal Israels Military Shelling Israeli Citizens with Tanks Missiles - and the new essay by Chris Hedges too.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 31 October 2023 11:52:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a load of crock.

Clowns such as this author, simply mouthing the US Democrat Administrations Anti-Israel propaganda line attempt to smother the Administrations abysmal failure of Obamas disastrous
JCPOA with Iran which this author fails once to mention.

This current Israeli catastrophe is directly and completely a cause of US ineptitude with ME foreign policy.
His attack on Netanyahu with its leftward rant, totally misses the mark in outlining the impossible mission with which Netanyahu was presented with. It also fails in the cause of truth to mention the direct US contributions towards funding a destabilisation program designed to undermine the legitimately and Democratically elected government of Israel in its attempts to force Israel into the suicide mission of rolling over to US demands to accomodate outcomes of the JCPOA, in particular, living with an Nuclear armed Iran.

The US presence can’t be trusted to assist Israel, and is more commonly seen as a force to Hog-Tie and limit Israeli response in Gaza against its own better judgement.

With friends like the US, who needs enemies.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 31 October 2023 2:56:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An excellent analysis of the situation, as far as the present goes, but mixed with impossible wishful thinking for the future.

Netanyahu is finished. I now almost take pity on that little man, who is now practically deposed but is still formally displayed on Israel's prime-minister's throne, only because being seen to change horses during a war can boost the enemy's morale.

But unlike him, the West-Bank's settlers are not deposed.
They are many, they have too many supporters, they are armed, trained and strong, much stronger than Hamas.
Even if Israel is willing to give up the West Bank in a peace deal,
who could possibly dare to try evicting the Jewish fundamentalist settlers from their homes?
Not anybody I know.

- Not the Israeli army. It tried in the past to remove just one illegal settlement, and failed. The settlers, being Israelis, can come and go within Israel as they please, so they told the brigadier that came to remove them: "We know your family, we know exactly where your child's kindergarten is and the exact route from your home to that kindergarten." - the evacuation was cancelled!

- Not even the American army can, because any American president would tremble at the prospect of violent clashes with their own Christian fundamentalists.

So I am pessimistic. I am afraid that is not possible.

What Israel can still do, is to leave the West Bank unilaterally, without any agreement, just order the army to march out and leave the settlers there to their own devices. What then ensues between the settlers and the local Arabs, I don't know and I don't even want to know: all I care is just that Israel will finally be out of that cursed territory.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 1 November 2023 12:22:56 AM
Yuyutsu

You exhibit breathtaking naivety.

Here is a question for you out of left field; why are fifteen thousand Australians currently residing in Lebanon, ignoring the Australian Governments call to leave Lebanon for their own safety?

Answer: In their mind they’re not in danger.

Why?: The continuing US policy of appeasing Iran.

That policy includes removing the Democratically elected Netanyahu administration in Israel, and replacing it with an administration of compliant Toadies who will toe the US suicidal line of Iranian appeasement.
We are seeing the results of appeasement strategies playing out in Israel now
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 1 November 2023 8:03:59 AM
Dear Dan,

First you claim (without explaining) that I am so naive, then the next moment you treat me like your oracle who am able to answer all your questions, including some which I never thought about...
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 1 November 2023 12:29:44 PM
This is a helpful commentary on the current situation. It gives a wider context than is presented in the 24/7 brief media glimpses of the situation in the Middle East. Given Dr Alon Ben-Meir's long term study of the Middle East region, his setting out a post-Gaza scenario for a two state solution deserves further study.
Posted by Blowy, Wednesday, 1 November 2023 1:43:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy