The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No one Muslim fits all > Comments

No one Muslim fits all : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 2/9/2005

Waleed Aly argues John Howard's meeting with Muslim leaders ended up pleasing no one.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. All
Good piece Waleed I saw you on SBS and can see the inspiration for it. I don't know why people think Muslims are like paper dolls!
Posted by Kenny, Friday, 2 September 2005 9:25:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great article. I'm already wincing at the thought of the bigotted posts set to appear here though...
Posted by spendocrat, Friday, 2 September 2005 9:34:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem does not lie in the practise of Muslims of their religion. The problem happens when Islam is adopted as the basis of State law as it does not accomodate the democratic rights for others. It is the control freaks that threaten, "believe me of face threat". No true Islamic State can accomodate difference of religion. Observe the treatment of persons expressing religious dissent in Islamic communities, i.e. Salmon Rushdie.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 2 September 2005 10:22:12 AM
Philo's logic is somewhat askew.

There is no logical conclusion that those attending a mosque or other Muslim organisation always wish to establish a theocratic government in Australia. I'm confident only a minority of Muslims would want this.

I'd liken Philo's fears to the Cubs or Brownies wishing to make their peculiar (but cute) customs mandatory in Australia.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 2 September 2005 10:45:46 AM
I think Waleed is correct in effect saying that the PM would have been on mission impossible if he had sought a representative group of Muslims – witness the shambles earlier this week on Jennie Brockie’s Insight SBS. programme.

However I do think we should pull Waleed up on a couple of points:

Firstly, it is simply untrue to suggest that “the Muslims in Australia are as diverse as the world itself”. I remind Waleed that in the world today there are Christians Buddhists, etc, etc and the differences between such groups and Moslems are far, far greater that those within the Islamic community who after all are united by the call of the Minaret, despite what other differences they might have.

Secondly, Waleed advances the oft repeated claim that “Muslim Australia has, largely, come to feel alienated by the political conversation in this country”, seeking by so doing to advance the Muslim cause. Many sub groups within Australia, including other immigrant communities, the Christian Church, etc can say similar things. Muslims have to learn to fit in as best they can like the rest of us. They should not expect special privileges, and they do have to work hard at fitting in, so long as some within their community continue to hate the rest of us and remain willing to lend comfort and succour to the would be, could be Islamist terrorists living amongst them (and therefore us).
Posted by David Palmer, Friday, 2 September 2005 2:44:13 PM
You are right. The level of intra-cultural variability is so high that assuming group homogeneity among those who declare themselves to be connected to or having shared values with other people who define themselves as Muslim, is absurd.

Similarly I believe that stereotyping a group based on specific cases that reflect individual and isolated behaviour (and nothing more) because the people or individuals involved in that case declare or feel an affiliation with others who define themselves as a belonging to the same group, is irrational.
Posted by strayan, Friday, 2 September 2005 3:53:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy