The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fairness and equality are not the same thing > Comments

Fairness and equality are not the same thing : Comments

By Steven Schwartz, published 5/4/2022

Engineering equality is neither achievable nor desirable; it isn't even fair.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
If people minded their own business, saw to their own affairs and stopped envying the rich, they would feel much better about themselves. Having a few non-material values is not a bad idea, either. Self-respect. Not comparing themselves with others. Also helpful. Trying to 'measure up' leads to disappointment.

We need rich people. We need clever people. Without them, the rest of us wouldn't exist. You want equality? Move to the Third World. Plenty if it there - everybody except a very few, who don't use their wealth to create jobs, services etc - are all equally hard up.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 5 April 2022 9:14:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe the article is nonsense, given nobody but nobody is even considering engineered equality outcomes! And we don't need to tax the wealthy more than Joe average, just ensure they pay tax and at the same rate as Joe average! Which ought to be around 15% given the better off can so arrange their affairs, so as not to pay more than 15%.

Finally, the better off have to stop playing the BS envy card! It's not an issue! Wealth has little to do with higher intelligence or industrious habits, but rather, the exploitation of others, their industry and talents.

The self made man is a fantasy. Like the one that goes, born in the log cabin, hewn from the wilderness with his own two bare hands.

In summation, the highest tax paid in actual cash transferred to the ATO in 2017 was just 13%. With some paying as little as 4% and up to 40% of corporations paying no tax to anybody. This needs to change and would if tax was an unavoidable flat tax set at a minimum of 15% above a generous tax free threshold.

To get costs down by around half all we need do is eliminate the paper shuffling profit demanding middleman. If China can do it?

Other than that, we need to reduce the cost of energy which at around 30% is along with cascading front loaded tax, one of the major impediments on productivity! Wages at an average of 16% are not the issue, tax and energy charges clearly are the real cost impediments!

Nobody but nobody envies crooks, shysters and conmen. Who by and large, represent the wealthy/energy and water barons etc. And too many politicians are in bed with the aforementioned!

This needs to change even if it means changing the voting habits of a lifetime! The only remedy that remains in the hands of the endlessly exploited!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 5 April 2022 9:38:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If that's the mentality Universities encourage then I'm glad my parents couldn't afford to get me past basic Primary education !
With so many problems standing in our way daily one would think these people would look at far less frivolous subjects to spend our Tax Dollars on !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 5 April 2022 10:13:30 AM
Spoken like a true communist, Alan B. You say "nobody is even considering engineered equality outcomes!" but cancel culture seeks to achieve equality outcomes by silencing people who the left disagree with. The BBC is about to employ people on the basis of their class status so that its employee makeup is more representative of the UK class divisions. For people on the left, it's all about equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity.
Excellent article, Steven, and Alan B's response shows just how dangerous equality of outcome attitudes are.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Tuesday, 5 April 2022 11:06:49 AM
Obviously a lot of book & article writing academics are very envious of the very rich. Could it be they think they are more deserving.

There obviously is great satisfaction to be achieved by making a business successful. I have experienced this in a small way, & can only wonder if the feeling is greater when billions are involved, rather than thousands, but they miss so much.

Nothing compares to the first time you put an aircraft down on the deck of a carrier. First the joy at succeeding, then the realisation that you are still alive. Yes nothing quite like it, but winning the Formula one feature race at at Bathurst does come close. Knowing the car was a total wreck just 6 months ago after a 140 Miles/hour crash, & you & a mate rebuilt is also a bit special.

Then there is a special feeling when you sail your yacht into an isolated atoll, up near the equator, & the locals tell you that you are the first visitor, other than the 4 times a year copra boat, in 2 years.

Then again taking a young colt through all his breaking in & training, & have him competing successfully & occasionally winning, & knowing it is the trust you have developed in each other that makes it possible is also pretty special.

There is no way I would change my life for that of the ultra rich, in fact I feel a little sorry for them, thinking of what they have missed.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 5 April 2022 11:46:10 AM
Interesting article. And I sort-of agree that equality of opportunity is not the same as equality of outcomes. However, if I understand Thomas Piketty (quoted in the article) correctly, he argues that global capitalism was relatively successful up until the 1980s, precisely because there was a relative equality in the system. There was a strong middle class. Since then, the system has become more unequal. The rich are growing richer and the poor are growing poorer. Piketty argues that this is bad for the economy and bad for society.
Posted by Dr James Page, Tuesday, 5 April 2022 12:55:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy